The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic with message (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nustart59
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Nustart59
Hi I am new to this and need some advice. I have been asked to do a simple presentation to 8/9yo around health & physical activity and thought it would be great to add a effect into presentation but cannot for the life of me think or find anything remotely around the topic. Any ideas on effect and possible patter??
Thanks heaps in advance.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
What kind of effect are you looking for. We need to know if its cards, coins or general magic you are talking about.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend Nustart50...

There is no way that I could possibly give you any sort of respondible answer to your very broad question.

8 and 9 year olds are Cub Scout ages. At that age, the interest span is BRIEF,

Health & physical activity is an EXTREMELY BROAD TOPIC.

First, an EFFECT is "what the spectator sees, or thinks that he sees". You CANNOT add an EFFECT to a presentation. You CAN add a TRICK, which should add emphasis, or make visible, or perhaps clarify your presentation. (The presentation that I just mentioned, is NOT the PRESENTATION of the TRICK. It's the speech you are making on the topic.

Second, you must write your "simple presentation" FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!! THEN, consider whether a TRICK will help illustrate your point. The TRICK must only add emphasis, make visible, or help clarify your apeech. Used improperly, the TRICK can easily overshadow the point that you are trying to illustrate!!!

Working behind the counter in 3 magic shops, over the years, I saw many "magicians" come in, point to a "box or tube" and ask, "What does that do?" They would tell me that they were giving a speech and needed something to "illustrate" it. Sad to say, they only succeeded in DEMONSTRATING a PROP, The audience was more interested in the TRICK that was DEMONSTRATED with the PROP, than the speech.

How long is your speech??? Under what conditions? (gym class, summer camp, etc.? How many youngsters?

Your last sentence "...and cannot for the life of me think or find anything remotely around the topic." Naturally! the topic is too broad, IMO. Write that speech first!!!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Dick is right, but here are a couple ideas.

Gympy's Magic has something called a Demi Cube. This is a great tool to use in any speech/lecture. You can make any three points and talk about the importance of them being done in a certain order and the magic is the order of the cubes changes magically. The prop is not cheap, but it is so versatile and just perfect for this sort of thing.

You could do a miser's dream type coin production while talking about how health and Physical Education pay off through the years.

I hope these ideas help trigger some thoughts for you.

KJ
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
I agree with Dick that Health & physical activity is a broad subject so you will need to define what it is you want to highlight as the pivotal message in your performance.

I have taken the liberty myself to see if I could create a few examples:

If you chose a healthy eating and psychical activity focus then get some sponge production bananas and hold one in your hand talking about good and bad foods and ask the children if they know what good foods are and what bad foods are. After a lengthy discussion say that one of my favorite good foods is a banana (produce it accordingly) and ask the kids if they have ever had a banana in their lunchbox as school. After a while change the topic to physical activity by saying that anything that you do regularly that keeps you moving also keeps you healthy, ask the children about sports, games and activity's they enjoy.

Its at the above moment that you say your favorite physical activity if producing bananas (then produce them misers dream style).

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=52230

Another is use bounce, no bounce balls and talk about how being healthy gives a person their bounce (bounce the bounce ball), then talk about what bounce means and what it means to have bounce (physical activity. healthy eating etc), then talk about what happens when you don't do those things you loose your bounce (switch the ball and try to bounce the no bounce ball).

Place the no bounce ball on a table and explain that in order to get the ball its bounce back we need to find healthy things, so the magician brings out a pile of images of a mixture of foods and activity's that are both healthy and unhealthy and with the children's help they choose which is healthy and which is not healthy. When all the decisions have been made the ball is placed next to the healthy pile and asked to bounce it to see if if the children are correct.

Just my ideas.

Magically

Aus
Nustart59
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Nustart59
Thank you all for your feedback and apologies to be so vague around the topic. I will try and respond to the questions all at once. Firstly they are all 8/9 yo both girls and boys in a class room. The speech is written and the aim of the speech presentation is to demonstrate the difference between being active and inactive. My speech has a character watching TV 3 hrs. a day whilst the other character runs the dog and plays sport after school. I have approx. 30 mins to present the topic and I was seeking a trick to use as a metaphor or something that will explain or highlight the message (be active regularly = healthy body healthy mind). Again I thank you for all your advice and words and really appreciate the ideas and time you spent responding to my questions.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
How about the Growing ball outdone by Goshman, particularly this version: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=41602

Explain that the red ball likes to watch tv 3 hours every day and the black ball likes walking his dog and playing sport after school. Place both balls into your fist and ask the children to guess what will happen if the red ball keeps watching TV. He grows unhealthy (you open your hand to show the overgrown red ball) well the black ball remains the same.

Ask the children what they think the red ball needs to do to be healthy like the black ball. Stick the overgrown red ball into your fist again and get the children up and mime some physical activity's like running on the spot, star jumps, playing basket ball etc to help the red ball to go to normal size again (open your hand again to show precisely that).

Magically

Aus
Nustart59
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Nustart59
Thank you Aus, most helpful will definitely obtain the Growing Ball and use it in the presentation, many thanks for taking the time to provide the info.
NS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic with message (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL