The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Free stand-alone Android app to practice stacks (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2690 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I just got this running and don't use one of the more popular mem deck set ups. Not a big deal to set up what ever stack you like. This really is a good app and even has text to voice so you can use it as an audio trainer. Even though Claudio mentioned earlier on that it wasn't great for tablets, when I turn it to portrait, it looks great. Really good job Claudio, much appreciated.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Thanks Nick. I won't use SVG files as they are,after testing, too heavy to process for low spec devices, like mine Smile. I shall have a go at converting them to PNG.

Thanks for the feedback Tom. I'm pleased the app is playing OK on your tablet.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Greetings, I come with more feedback.

The card images are quite sexy now. Crisp and clean on my cellphone. I like it. I'm unable to repeat the 0 error I mentioned earlier, so your fix probably worked.

I had Show Full Name checked. It works as it should. Then I chose Test - Position +1 (since this is the feature I specifically requested, I'd be remiss not using it!) and it also worked quite nicely. I like the overlapping cards in that mode, since it gives you something for your visual memory if you get it wrong. Something worth adding there is the ability to use Position instead of the card image as well. If I can't peak, but I know I have 15 cards in my hand, I should still know what the next (16th) card is.

After testing that, I shut off the Show Full Name feature, but the last card name stuck. Every quiz card from there onward had 5 of Diamonds written under it. I went back to Settings to see if I made a mistake. I didn't change anything since I hadn't made a mistake, and went back to Play. The stuck card name was gone that time.

So there is a condition where after shutting off the Show Card Name feature doesn't empty the buffer and keeps displaying the one card name.

I'll test the voice mode next. I'm really liking this so far. I also just started putting in my "hints" under the mnemonics menu, so I haven't tested that yet. Having said that, maybe you should name it Hints instead of Mnemonics since some people use non-mnemonic techniques to remember cards (like the various castle techniques). I always use mnemonics for numbers, but many of my cards are not mnemonic, so I could see that happening.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Oh, and I still have this other feature request: When not using the Timer function (Manual), it would be nice if I get to see how long each of my guesses take. I'm not too worried about average guess time, etc since sometimes there are distractions or whatever, but it is nice to know how long it takes for each choice. That way I know what cards I have to work harder at recalling.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Thank you again for this useful feedback.

Regarding the bug: I am not sure what happened and will not know as I have implemented more features (see below), and hopefully the bug will disappear Smile

Regarding the use of the word mnemonics. I think it’s a term that encompasses any means to improve memory. Therefore the methods you mentioned are all mnemonics, but in any case I shall use hints as the word is shorter and helps manage better the limited surface we have to deal with.

New features:

1. The quality of the cards is now even better and the design is more pleasing. The back has itself a much higher resolution.

2. It’s possible to choose both card and position (the test will be random and not a rigid alternating of image then position.

3. While choosing position, it’s now possible to choose both [+1] and [-1] , and the test will be again random.

4. It’s possible to increase the Position Increment. It currently is 1. You’ll be able to choose between 1 and 26, independently for positive and negative values. Furthermore, you may decide to have this increment fixed or random. If you check random, then if your increment was, say, +6, you won’t be queried on +6 every time, but on a scale of 1 to 6, the increment changing randomly on every card.

This feature is not available when querying both cards and positions - I tried it; it drove me crazy and my blood pressure went trough the roof Smile

5. Finally, it’s possible to freeze the Settings pane, so that it’s does not move while working the sliders.

6. Various shortcuts have been added, so you can navigate from a training session straight back into settings for comfort.

7. More to come Smile

I shall post a youtube demo soon.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
@TerrorInt, I have added a timer feature on Manual mode.

Here's a quick demo of MemDeckPro:

MemDeckPro

If anyone is willing to help me write/proof read the documentation, please let me know.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Claudio sent me a link to the download of his program. I tried it and I was delighted. I think the card graphics are excellent..and very clear. Lots of features I probably will never use...at least not immediately. All I was looking for was an Android Stack Trainer for use with the Aronson Stack...and Claudio delivered one in Spades...and Clubs, Diamonds and Hearts also. (grin)

Back in late April, I sent Claudio a PM complimenting him o this app and, hesitatingly, making one recommendation to Claudio for a feature I'd like to see implemented...and Claudio said he'd implement that feature. I'll download the version mentioned in his May 2, 2015 post and see if my recommendation "made the cut" and is in that version.

I also enjoyed the the youTube video demonstration of the app's many features.I especially enjoyed the demonstration of the +1 and -1 feature.

In summary, this is a very nice app. Elegant in its simplicity and design. Intuitive and a pleasure to use. Many thanks and kudos to Claudio for producing this excellent app and for all the time and effort that he expended in this regard. This is truly a labor of love.

Mike

P.S. Claudio, do you have a version that will run on an iPhone? My friend has an Apple 4 or Apple 5 (I think) and he is currently using the Doug Dyment's Quick Stack and is now learning Doug's QuickerStacker version.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2690 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I set my app up for Quickerstack. It took a couple minutes to figure out how to set it up, but it works great.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
MemDeckPro has been released on Play store: MemDeckPro. Or search for MemDeckPro on the store.

Mike, thank you for your nice review. What you asked for, and more, has been implemented in this version. I don't develop for iPhone. Not for lack of skills as I have been a C developer most of my life. It's just that it's too expensive.

Tom, thanks again for proof-reading the doc.

Cheers
Claudio
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
255 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Hi Claudio,

I’ve downloaded the app from the store. I really like what you’ve done with it. The help doc is a great touch that you rarely see on this kind of app. Anyway, your app is very intuitive.

The images are really excellent and the range of settings is great.
As it is possible to import/export stack definitions, an idea would be to store them so people could download the one they need if it is not built in.

Great job Smile
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2690 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Nice job Claudio.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
You can download the latest version from Google's Play Store. Do a search on MemDeckPro. Alternatively, use your mobile to connect on this site, read this post and then tap on the following link:

MemDeckPro Latest Version

Make sure to use the UPDATE option so as to keep your data.

I have received a few PMs from MemDeckPro users:

@Francois, thanks for the bug report. It has been fixed in the latest version: 1.4

@Mike, you asked about adding functionality to help train onhard to remember cards, i.e. a subset of the stack, so that "one could devote concentrated efforts to the cards with which one continually is having trouble."

If people are interested in this and have ideas on how to implement it, please let me know.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
255 Posts

No problem Claudio. I've downloaded the latest version: the bug has been fixed Smile

I like Mike's idea a lot. There are a few sticky cards in the Aronson stack that I have problem with.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Version 1.5 has been released: MemDeckPro

You can now select any subset of your stack, from 1 to 52, to practice on. It is useful when you want to focus on some specific cards that you find particularly hard to remember.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Hi guys,

If you have installed the app on your phone and manually added a well-known stack that was not included as built-in, can you please export it as explained in the doc and email it to me – through my developer’s account?

I am thinking of adding them to the app, or building a collection of stacks that users can import when they need it.

Currently there are:

Advanced Si Stebbins
Aronson
BCS
Mnemonica
Palindromic Si Stebbins
Si Stebbins

Bear in mind you can delete all the stacks you have no use for.

Thank you.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Version 1.6 has been released MemDeckPro

It's free and has no ads Smile

Some minor functionality has been added:

1. You can clear all selections at once while picking cards to create a subset of your stack.
2. You can remove/clear cards from the subset while training on the subset.

Enjoy
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
255 Posts

Hey Claudio, it's getting better and better. I've been using the app since you created it and I like all the little refinements you keep on adding.

What I would like is the ability to have the choice of card backs and background colours. Would it be possible also to choose a language for the card names, or get the ability to edit the names? That would be great.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1561 Posts

Profile of Claudio
V1.7 is now available : MemDeckPro 1.7

A new feature which has been requested by many non English native speakers:

You can now set the language for the card names to any language you like. It's a simple matter of editing and importing a file with your translations.

Please read the doc for details.

I have German & French & Italian ready files. PM if you need any of those.
Josef Andenmatten
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Josef Andenmatten
Hello Claudio
MemDeckPro is the best app to learn a Memorized Deck. Divers stacks are already integrated and you can even create a specially. Many ingenious settings, you can adjust everything as you like .In the version 1.7 even with voice recognition. English, German, French, Italian. What more could you want. I have already tested many Memorized Deck app, but Memodeckpro is the best and most brilliant.
Claudio many, many thanks for this great App.
Josef Andenmatten
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Thank you very much!

I've had already memorized the stack I work with (Mnemonica) a long time ago. I even used some spaced repetition programs to make sure I was really committing that stack to the long therm memory. But I feel that I lack speed, and I think I'll only achieve that through consistent practice everyday. Your app makes that a LOT easier!

Again, Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Free stand-alone Android app to practice stacks (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL