The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dye Tube for the street (27 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Thinking of doing the Dye tube on the street any recommendations on what tube to buy and routine
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might want to consider making your own and learning several routines before buying anything. In that case, I recommend two e-Books from The Magic Nook's Dollar Store Book 2- the first on color changing silks and their gimmicks, and the second on dye tubes and their gimmicks. Color changing silks are generally performed by passing a silk through bare hands while changing the color of the silk(s). Dye tubes are generally made by rolling up a sheet of paper into a tube and passing several silks through the paper tube to change their colors.

You can also learn the methods from other sources, like the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Tarbell, Mark Wilson, et al, but those sources all assume you will be buying metal gimmicks from magic shops rather than making your own from Dollar Store materials.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use the patrick page routine with a palmo gimmick and 18" silks.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I really like the Palmo.
Works great for 18" silks and no divider.

There are lots of routines available. I do a color changing silk routine with it.
You can also do a half-dyed hank routine with it.

Duane Laflin has some handlings and thoughts on the palmo. You can see a nice handling of the prop here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4HmU5Mz-Y

Pop Haydn has an entertaining color changing hank routine as well. Not sure if he uses the palmo or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-skt9Wo6XSQ
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Norm Barnhart, a children's magician, has a very clever handling using a TT and 2 silks. In his routine, he starts with both silks in the TT (I believe they are 9 inch ones), magically produces one from the TT, then causes it change color, then makes it vanish (into the TT). However you could do a straight forward color change from one color to the other and back, or not. There's no re-set--after each change, one silk is tucked away inside the TT and one is on display. Norm's routine can be found on his DVD called "Cool Magic for Kids," which is a collection of his professional kid-show routines. A TT is smaller and easier to conceal than either a dye-tube, palmo or hank ball. Norm's handling lends itself well to street performing.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I use the patrick page routine with a palmo gimmick and 18" silks.

I do the same and have done for a while. A great edge builder.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I like Joe Porper's tube.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Most ANY gimac (I know that's spelled wrong, but, it pleases me!) will do the job. It's more a matter of personal preference. I developed my own routine, and, I've been using the basic d*e t*b* since 1947. (Well, I have worn out a few!)

Some fellows like the Rice PALMO, Some prefer the old standard tube. DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (One can't argue over tastes!)

Johnson, if they're still in business, make a nice tube. .

Norm Barnhart has been a good friend for over 30 years. He does a nice job with the TT, but, it's not for me! --9" silks!!! (I use 18")

With a very few exceptions, the c*l*r ch*ng*ng s*lk has been my opener since 1947. It plays ANYWHERE.--A Fair Ground Grand Stand for 3,000, a country school for 7 (yes! 7), a college concert for 1,000, or a street with a tip of 50.

The late PAT PAGE has a fine presentation on a VHS video tape.. His family still runs the business. The tape I have is titled "One Trick Video" --Patrick Page's COMEDY COLOUR CHANGING HANDKERCHIEF-- apparently produced by TRIK-A-TAPE, LONDON, ENGLAND.

You must remember! It's NOT THE PROP (silks & gaff). It's the PERFORMER, and his PRESENTATION!!!

The sneaky, underhanded,devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebank
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Is Pat Page routine in Page By Page?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry, I don't know.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
Some fellows like the Rice PALMO, Some prefer the old standard tube. DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (One can't argue over tastes!)

Dick it is not what I like it is becuase 18" silks are better seen. on the street you want to be seen. and if I would use TT I would not use a silk square but a silk ribbon. that is much more visible and the same amount of silk.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Just checked and the routine mentioned is in Page by Page
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Quote:

Dick it is not what I like it is becuase 18" silks are better seen. on the street you want to be seen. and if I would use TT I would not use a silk square but a silk ribbon. that is much more visible and the same amount of silk.

Hi Robert!
I definitely agree! I've always used an 18" silk--since 1947! Anything smaller is just ridiculous, IMO! I've played the grandstand show in front of about 4,000 people, and they could see and appreciate the color change. I use a large hand dye tube, and have no problem. I'm not "ANTI" the Palmo. I've tried it, but prefer the old t*b*.

Even with a vanish and repro. using a TT, I use either a diamond, or an 18" half silk.

BTW, I finally got the envelope in the mail with the "egg beater" and the K. Fox sucker egg in it. I would think the egg beater would play on the street. It's "weak spot" is the "set up" patter.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick, thank you so much. your views and ideas and talks are making me happy. when is your book ready?
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
If you are going to use a hand dye tube, I feel the best is Levent's. It uses the Palmo mentioned above but a well designed one as well as the Pop Haydn/Billy McComb routine. I use it all of the time and the gimmick is a dream to handle. I have no vested interest in it, I just love using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_lsAqFZ5s

You get everything you need, including a DVD that shows it very well as one might expect from Levent. http://www.leventmagic.com/
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
It will also be worth your time to check out Jay Scott Berry's imaginative and very professional/deceiving approach to color changing silks etc. If you don't know what he's doing, you will be fooled!

Julie
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
My routine uses 24" silks so they can be seen from a big stage. The larger the silk, the more it flutters in the air and draws attention and adds life to the routine. This requires a special gimmick, made for me by Jim Riser. My routine has slightly different handling to accommodate the larger silks and gimmick.

I think size matters a great deal, and use this routine even at the bar:

Our new video and gimmicks should be available in the next few weeks at www.popsmagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2015, Julie wrote:
It will also be worth your time to check out Jay Scott Berry's imaginative and very professional/deceiving approach to color changing silks etc. If you don't know what he's doing, you will be fooled!

Julie

I forgot about the Eclipse can be used for this, but the silk has to be very small. And you can't do the Billy McComb finale which makes a logical ending to the trick.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I forgot about the Eclipse can be used for this, but the silk has to be very small. And you can't do the Billy McComb finale which makes a logical ending to the trick. [/quote]
------------------------------------

He is using a different modified gimmick now (NOT a thumb tip) and large true diamond cut silks.

Great demo at his lecture a couple of weeks ago!

Julie
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Julie, is there a video clip of this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dye Tube for the street (27 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL