The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Return Of The (not so) Youthful Curmudgeon! - by Paul Chosse » » Hard core card book!! 01/25/2002 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Question:

What is your favorite hard core card book ever? I will tell you mine,"By Forces Unseen" by Earnist Earick. Lots of great hard, hard stuff!
I know that Dorian will agree with me since he told me last year at the A-1 convention in the room.

Paul's response:

Try the Rosini Book by Rufus Steele, look at the Card section of the Magic of Rezvani by Fitskee, NEVER forget Erdnase, Ultra Cervon has some of the best thought out presentations of classic effects ever written, and the Hamman book gives great insight into what could have been...

It occurs to me that it is important to define the term "hard core". Does this mean difficult material, or the hard (important)core of a body of work related to card handling, or are we interested in the best, (oops, better define best!) effects?

Perhaps it (hard core) means the seminal material that has spawned all the more recent work. Hundreds of small pamphlets in the last 100 years have influenced the better known contributions of today.

Martin Gardners' "12 Tricks with a Borrowed Deck" is responsible for a long chain of events that culminates in the "Lie-Speller" effects we have seen so much of in the last 20 years, and it was written in the 40's.

Let's not forget R.W.Hull, Lu Brent, Charles Eastman, Bert Allerton, Gen Grant, etc. This list is short but each of these men and many more commonly known (Vernon, Marlo, Miller, Don Alan, Ron Bauer, T. Nelson Downs, Hilliard as compiler, McMillen, oh, the list is huge!) are seminal ("hard core")contributors to the current wealth of material in 21th Century card magic.

I find it important to define my needs and terms as I search for answers to questions like "What's your favorite hard core book?" Hope this is helpful, PSC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Return Of The (not so) Youthful Curmudgeon! - by Paul Chosse » » Hard core card book!! 01/25/2002 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL