The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Magick Magazines (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Profile of Brian J. Hatcher
Over the last few weeks, I have been going over some bound collections of magazines dedicated to bizarre magick (Invocation, The Altar Flame, Swami/Mantra, Seance). We don't currently have a regular publication dedicated to the Art, and I found myself wondering if it isn't time for a new one to come out. Perhaps a quarterly e-publication, which would allow for ease of distribution and available to little or no cost. So the question is, would there be enough of a demand for such a publication to make it worth the time and effort?
Maior Cogitatio Magiam Maiorem Facit
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Well, we did recently have "The Mystic Menagerie."

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products/......llection
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2015, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Well, we did recently have "The Mystic Menagerie."

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products/......llection

Did is the operative word.
Another ePub of similar quality to fill the void would be most welcome. But keep in mind that these pubs are a labor of love and not a money maker. So the most important quality in putting out another pub is the desire to do so.
Bob
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Do you mean a new one like this one?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

Dale posted about it a few days ago, there are several threads discussing it.
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, Intrepid wrote: Another ePub of similar quality to fill the void would be most welcome. But keep in mind that these pubs are a labor of love and not a money maker. So the most important quality in putting out another pub is the desire to do so.

I certainly realize there is no money to be made in magazines in general, and especially one as specialized as this. I don't expect to make a dime from it, and it wouldn't be my reason for doing it. My inspiration came from attending this year's East Coast Spirit Sessions and the conversations I had with many old friends and also people I met there. If I can give back to a community that has done so much for me these many years, that will be payment enough.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Brian,
don't know what I could do to help, but if you need reviews or something along those lines let me know, glad to help out
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would be glad to help too. It was a really shame when the mystic menagerie ceased publication.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
The Mystic Menagerie is now a podcast which covers much of interest to lovers of the dark and disturbing. The magazine is still available from the website and also as a complete bundle. We are proud of what we achieved with the magazine and over the tears there were countless great material from great people but we could no longer continue with the magazine as some "trusted" readers decided themselves that it was ok to distribute copies freely to their mates and upload it to file sharing sites which inevitably, despite the countless requests to stop, was what resulted in the decision that our hard work was ultimately being devalued. That's not to say there's not the possibility of one off specials in the future but our efforts are now focussed on the podcast.
We wanted to make the magazine available and not delete it, so it's always available from Lebanon Circle.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well worth getting too !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, Lord Freddie wrote:
The Mystic Menagerie is now a podcast which covers much of interest to lovers of the dark and disturbing. The magazine is still available from the website and also as a complete bundle. We are proud of what we achieved with the magazine and over the tears there were countless great material from great people but we could no longer continue with the magazine as some "trusted" readers decided themselves that it was ok to distribute copies freely to their mates and upload it to file sharing sites which inevitably, despite the countless requests to stop, was what resulted in the decision that our hard work was ultimately being devalued. That's not to say there's not the possibility of one off specials in the future but our efforts are now focussed on the podcast.
We wanted to make the magazine available and not delete it, so it's always available from Lebanon Circle.

Oracle ceased for this exact same reason.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2015, Brian J. Hatcher wrote:
I certainly realize there is no money to be made in magazines in general, and especially one as specialized as this. I don't expect to make a dime from it, and it wouldn't be my reason for doing it. My inspiration came from attending this year's East Coast Spirit Sessions and the conversations I had with many old friends and also people I met there. If I can give back to a community that has done so much for me these many years, that will be payment enough.

Well there is no better reason for doing so. I think it's wonderful that you would take the time to do this for the community, even if it was a one off. If you need my support please let me know.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
My PAN-sylvania (at Lybrary.com) ceased to exist because it got overwhelming for just one man.
What Intrepid posted is true in my case:

<keep in mind that these pubs are a labor of love and not a money maker>

I loved it but it got to be too much with a 40 hour/week job plus a family.
Brian J. Hatcher
View Profile
New user
Charleston WV
52 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement, suggestions, and offers of assistance. I will be plotting my course and putting together my team over the next couple of months for a possible March 2016 release. I do have a question: how important is it that a publication like this include "tricks"? On the one hand, magicians these days are drowning in method, and it seems to me that we bizzarists are more interested in taking method we already know and wrapping a story around it that suits the mood and the character we wish to portray. On the other hand, Eugene Burger is quick to point out that a magic lecture without tricks will not play well. But what do you guys think?
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
A mixture of the two covers all bases. With the Mystic Menagerie we published plenty of routines but also other items of interest including interviews with important people on the scene, myths and folklore and other such articles.
The earlier comment is correct regarding it being a labour of love. Sadly your work willi inevitably be distributed freely and offered on file sharing sites. That's the magic "community" for you.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Both I think would work well as long at it doesn't look or feel like a trick Smile
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Magick Magazines (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL