We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bill switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
playzure
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of playzure
Is there an easy and convincing bill switch (TT or not) that uses bills that are quarter folded(not into eighths)? I like VisiBill, but it's hard and harder with borrwed bills. Also I have Money Morph but don't like the folding into eighths. Ideally I want this to work very well with borrowed bills.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The BEST bill switcher I have ever seen was Johnny Paul, and he just crumbled 'em up.

I hate the CONTRIVED looking switches that are so in right now.... argh... ptooooooooooieeeeeeeeee

Look like "I'm fooling you sucker!"

Paul just grabbed a bill, crumbled it and tossed it on the floor... just as his "janitor" came by and swept it up...

Very strong and very funny.... and I never nailed it.

His finish the bill would appear on the bar and dance across to him. I never saw him hook up.

He was way ahead of everyone.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Heba Haba Al used to do the Johnny Paul switch (actually a variation), where he would tear the bill into pieces, crumple them up and throw them on the floor as well.

Fooled the daylights out of me.

A great move to look into.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-02-08 23:49, playzure wrote:
In there an easy and convincing bill switch (TT or not) that uses bills that are quarter folded(not into eighths)? I like VisiBill, but it's hard and harder with borrwed bills. Also I have Money Morph but don't like the folding into eighths. Ideally I want this to work very well with borrowed bills.

Actually if you want to get technical, Visi-Bill does fold into eighths. Money Morph folds into sixteenths.
Click to visit:
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The thing about Paul and Heba... they didn't POSE, they didn't CAREFULLY FOLD... they would just do it like you would if you were not a magician... grab the bill and rip it up, or crumble it up...

The fast SHOCK VALUE is what made it so strong.

Spectator would say, "Hey that's my 20 you just ripped up." (or changed to a one).

I cringe when I see someone fold a bill carefully then unnfold it and it has changed.

Any reasonably intelligent spectator KNOWS you are doing something and has the feeling you are screwin' them.

Try to be casual and direct. Smile
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I'm sure Johnny Paul's switch was great, but I see nothing wrong with the standard $100 bill switch, especially if the spectators don't expect the bill to be changed into another one, which depends on your presentation.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I use the fold up method for this, but I JUSTIFY it as part of the presentation - showing the customer how to recoup their loss to a swindler who has put THEIR money into an envelope.

The routine, based on a Larry Becker idea, was also run in an issue of Linking Ring in the past 10 years or so (NOT in a Parade, but in an article) which I can't find.

That version used a coin purse. If anyone knows who came up with that, I want to personally thank the creator - I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of it - and the heat's on the envelope - NOT on your hands!

It also resets, instantly. Can't ask for much more!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well...you don't see anything wrong.....but think about this....how long have you been performing magic infront of a paying audience?.....Pete here has for like 30 years....after you have been performing for 30 years....Well you get the idea....I'm not saying its a bad switch...but how natural is it?....Pete is saying...."looks like he just did something...I don't know what...but I know something happened!"...Get the idea....?"

koz
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree with Lee Darrow. I think a deliberate fold is not suspicious IF you have a logical reason for doing it that way. A number of magicians have come up with reasons that make perfect sense to me and that incorporate surprise, Roger Klause being one of them.

Koz, not everyone has to agree. I have great respect for Pete Biro, but have seen "careful" fold routines that I think are great. Hopefully it's okay for me to post my opinion as I've been performing for 41 years. Smile

Larry D.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I agree with Larry although he has only been performing for 41 years. Once he has reached 42 years performing he will then speak with authority. Did I mention that I have been performing for 42 years? Both the Mike Kozlowski and Roger Klause folding bill switches are incredible and never fail to stun any audience.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

How could I disagree with a guy named Larry?
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Juan Pablo has a bill change where the transposition occurs in the fully open position. One second it's one denomination, the next, it's Episcopalian. The switch is very visual.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey Larry.....Smile
That's too funny....I wasnt saying he was wrong...I was just saying...if you read my post, I said "I'm not saying its a bad switch".....and I don't know if it is...but it sure is fun gettin' things started....Out of these types of comments a lot can be learned..

There was no intent to offend....just poke a little Smile

and yes....you are welcome to comment Smile

koz
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Tedb, I was only playing, I wasn't offended.
Jason Bay
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
117 Posts

Profile of Jason Bay
I'm not sure you really do need a logical reason for doing the "careful" bill switch. It is so clean that it can be done slowly, and when you move slowly and deliberately in plain view of the audience, it silently rules out sleight-of-hand.

For instance (not that this would be a great presentation), you could say "Watch, guys, I'm going to turn this $100 bill into a $1". And then do it slowly and openly, and it would still suprise everybody because the bill, ostensibly, never leaves their sight.

I've been performing for nearly 97 years now, so I DO know what I'm talking about Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile
Koz
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hey, if it works for you... kewl... Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-11 11:49, Jason Bay wrote:
I've been performing for nearly 97 years now, so I DO know what I'm talking about Smile

I told you a million times not to exaggerate.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I personally like doing Sankey’s $0 dollar bill switch with a purse, it also gives you a justifiable reason as to why you’re folding the bill.

When you open the purse to show them that there is only one FOLDED bill in there, IMHO it makes what just happened seem absolutely impossible.

And on a sour note for all you who have been doing magic for 30, 40 or more years, I have only been doing it for a couple months now and have caught up to you already. LOL…

Kid
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yesiree you just passed me... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bill switch (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL