We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » This effect will be stronger if... (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
If you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger.
A book test with a book will be much stronger if you don't use a book.
A drawing duplication that is done face to face will be much stronger if it will be done long distance.
What standard effect in mentalism would you like to change the conditions around and in what way?...
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I suppose a PK touch would be stronger without a touch Smile

Cheers,
Mike
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Anything on the radio!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
And let's not forget, get rid of cards too!

Regards,
Mike
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, mikelsc wrote:
I suppose a PK touch would be stronger without a touch Smile

Cheers,
Mike

No. The premise is already not touching. Unless you do it differently than me? Touching somebody without touching them is the entire effect, right?

Doing it over a long distance, like over the phone, would fit though. Both scope and conviction are positively affected by that.
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, Seethings wrote:
If you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger.
A drawing duplication that is done face to face will be much stronger if it will be done long distance.
What standard effect in mentalism would you like to change the conditions around and in what way?...

It depends on how it's done. About the book test. I remember the imaginary book test in Colin Mcleod's Opening minds.He uses DR. Do you think that it is much stronger than other classics book tests?
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Colin's book test isn't really a book test as it's a prediction.

And saying book test would be stronger without a book makes no sense, then it wouldn't be a book test but just mind reading.
If you could eliminate compromises from a book test that it would be "Any book, Any word, you never touch the book, book test" (Peter spoke about eliminating compromises like that in Bigger Fish 2)

In the perfect world what we do would have no compromises and would just be real mind reading. Every effect has some sort of compromise , whether it would be in the props or process used or how likely it is to work.
Reader discretion is advised.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
But, you must admit that propless mentalism has major advantages over things like billets.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Colin's book test isn't really a book test as it's a prediction.

And saying book test would be stronger without a book makes no sense, then it wouldn't be a book test but just mind reading.
If you could eliminate compromises from a book test that it would be "Any book, Any word, you never touch the book, book test" (Peter spoke about eliminating compromises like that in Bigger Fish 2)

In the perfect world what we do would have no compromises and would just be real mind reading. Every effect has some sort of compromise , whether it would be in the props or process used or how likely it is to work.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Insight, please don't turn this discussion into a discussion about another subject.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Did you forget your original post? If a book test can be more powerful without a book, then a propless routine can be more powerful than one involving any writing.

Regards,
Mike
Quote:
Insight, please don't turn this discussion into a discussion about another subject.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, insight wrote:
But, you must admit that propless mentalism has major advantages over things like billets.

Regards,
Mike

No
Reader discretion is advised.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
An audience consists of intelligent folks. Reading minds without billets is more amazing to them than reading minds with billets.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, insight wrote:

Regards,
Mike

No
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Insight- Please don't dilute another thread with your nonsense. You are one of the reasons I'm starting to get sick of this place.
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
Quote:

A chair test with no chairs Smile
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Insight- Please don't dilute another thread with your nonsense. You are one of the reasons I'm starting to get sick of this place.

GOOD one Bob.
I am also tired about nonsense in here.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Seethings- I understand your point and such considerations are, indeed, an important part of the creative process.

But I would rephrase your original statement. Instead of, "If you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger," I'd say, "SOMETIMES, f you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger."

And, sometimes, that's not the case. Adding a complication or a seeming "test condition" can, sometimes, actually ADD to any effect and make it much stronger- i.e., the apparent weakness is reframed as a strength.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Thank you Bob for your post, and I agree.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Blindfold seems to add difficulty.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Seethings- I understand your point and such considerations are, indeed, an important part of the creative process.

But I would rephrase your original statement. Instead of, "If you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger," I'd say, "SOMETIMES, f you take a standard effect in mentalism and you change the physical conditions around, the effect will become much stronger."

And, sometimes, that's not the case. Adding a complication or a seeming "test condition" can, sometimes, actually ADD to any effect and make it much stronger- i.e., the apparent weakness is reframed as a strength.

Good thoughts,

Bob

It's amazing how a word or two added/changed makes all the difference. I agree with Bob.

For me, I am over having these strong phrased rules ("propless is always better than with props", etc.). I think the discussion is worth the time, by the way, I just don't think there are any HARD RULES that apply all the time. Including that rule!

Besides, it's easy enough to just skip over some of insight's posts and just pretend they didn't happen, lol.

Best,
Lem
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
It seems that a lot of people missed the last line of my op.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » This effect will be stronger if... (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL