The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » One of the Best Murphy's Lectures I Have Seen! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Paul Draper gave one of the best lectures I've seen so far with Murphy's here's my run down and review!

Video Form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqOFU6ew......&index=1

Written:
I have followed Paul Draper’s magic for quite some time. I have seen him perform live on multiple occasions and have talked with him about magic. On this lecture you get to see him in a completely candid light. He is full of knowledge and in performance you can see that he is holding back. On this lecture he opens up in a way that I have never seen. He gives the secrets away to some outstanding magic here, with various signature pieces that he uses in his professional shows. The magic is very exciting but the tips on becoming a professional and developing a character are outstanding.

Bill Reading: Using a prop that most magicians already have he explains one of the cleanest serial number reading’s I have ever seen. The spectator folds up bill, you hand it to someone else and you are able to obtain the serial number. He teaches a couple ways to do this with and without memory work.I loved this, in my opinion it makes other reading methods seem very over complicated and fishy. Paul’s is refreshingly to the point.

Audience Drawings: Paul explains a fun seemingly impromptu effect where an audience full of people draw simple drawings on small slips of paper. He is able to get a sense of the drawings and describe them perfectly with each new slip before he looks at them.

Water and Vodka Roulette: Using water and alcohol Paul explains one of his signature effects. A single glass full of alcohol is mixed among glasses of water. The magician can have the glasses mixed up and even have the spectator chose which he should eliminate. Of course the alcohol is under his control at all times. Luckily, the magician doesn’t need to be a drinker and the method can be applied to many different scenarios. I intend on using this as a convincer in my PK touches routine.

Psychometry: I have seen Paul perform a version of this live in his stand up show as well as on television. This is something that is a big part of his working repertoire. Five spectators are selected at random and each places a personal item in an envelope. The envelopes are mixed and the mentalist is able to divine which object belongs to whom. This can be applied to many situations and is a wonderful way of making a lot of magic with very little.

Fortune Telling Fish and Animal Crackers: Paul explains a couple fun and simple ways to make extra money at a show and have the magic continue when the show is over. He discusses a couple comedy routines here and gives some really great professional advice.

So the magic is top notch for sure but I loved his view on character creation. I don’t want to give it away but when he talks about the powers of the magician it really got me thinking. He asks questions that every performer should ask themselves and gives great insight involving the rule of three.

I put a lot of stock in versatile magic. I love magic that accordions, it can grow to be big enough to fill an auditorium or can shrink small enough to be performed in your living room. I also love devious methods that don’t require the magician to go out and buy brand new apparatus. All of the magic taught here can be performed in any scenario. All of the mentalism feels very clean, there isn’t a lot to cloudy up the effect. The theory though is where the real gold is found. Paul has a lot of background in theater and he really shows his knowledge here. I highly recommend this lecture.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2192 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
The water and vodka roulette sounds like Andrew Mayne's effect...forget the name. Same idea. Any idea if method is the same?
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
238 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
This is based on the Andrew Mayne effect but uses a different hold out for the scent and a different liquid for the scent and with a very different routine
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
238 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Here is the review from Joe Diamond at My Lovely Assistant: http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/4603
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » One of the Best Murphy's Lectures I Have Seen! (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL