The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Some good news, for a change... (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, tommy wrote:
With 50 million people living in poverty in the USA who is the bad guy?

The democrats, who continue to support policies that keep those people in poverty, thus insuring those same impoverished continue to vote for democrats and their entitlement programs.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, tommy wrote:
With 50 million people living in poverty in the USA who is the bad guy?

The democrats, who continue to support policies that keep those people in poverty, thus insuring those same impoverished continue to vote for democrats and their entitlement programs.

Ha,ha. Only proves Einstein's Theory of Insanity.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I weep for democracy.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2015, acesover wrote:
Yea. Have you seen his dad?

I am sure you served. Oh wait. Are you from America?

His dad has nothing to do with anything. I haven't seen his dog either. Tell me how that is relevant?

And no, I am not an American. If I was, I may not have served. There is no moral obligation on a citizen to serve in an unjust war. Like many (thankfully not all) Americans, you have replaced rational independent thought with knee-jerk jingoism.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Democrats or Republicans are merely the shepherd’s crooks. The shepherds are the bankers who use their crooks to nudge the wee people in the right direction towards the new world order, where the shepherd’s shale control everything and own nothing. The bad guys are created to cause international chaos out which comes the international policeman. Just listen to Ted Turner and tell me do think these people are kidding? What do think of what he says about your boys committing suicide? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuUI6PCLo4
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2015, acesover wrote:
I do have to admit. I do not have a lot of compassion for deserters or radical terrorists. Maybe that is just me. However this goes hand in hand with the way I feel about rapists and pedophiles. Shame on me.

There is a huge difference between a deserter - probably severely traumatized by what he has gone through, and psychologically damaged - and a radical terrorist, a rapist or a pedophile. You are right - shame on you.

So you are saying he was not traumatized before he deserted? Do you feel a radical terrorist is psychologically damaged? Or do you consider them normal and of sound mind or just good terrorists doing their thing?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As far as I can tell, Sgt. Bergdahl is a US citizen, and he retains his status as a soldier of the US Army while facing charges. To date he has been accused, has not faced trial and has not been convicted.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes- those pesky little things called the presumption of innocence and due process of law.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No, no!' said the Queen. 'Sentence first — verdict afterwards."
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
As far as I can tell, Sgt. Bergdahl is a US citizen, and he retains his status as a soldier of the US Army while facing charges. To date he has been accused, has not faced trial and has not been convicted.

Yes ok but if he is innocent That is wonderful. however it does not seem that way. Also if guilty I hope he has to answer to those who were harmed trying to find and rescue him. Guess you and I don't know but I am sure the Army knows already. I guess I should not jump the gun. However still a bad move 5 known terrorists as a deal. We are not supposed to do deals like this. What happens if someone kidnaps someone and tells us we have to let a convicted felon out of prison?
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, acesover wrote:
We are not supposed to do deals like this.

I'm no military historian, but hasn't the U.S. participated in prisoner of war exchanges during and after most of the armed conflicts it has been involved in?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is as old as the hills. A Kings ransom, ring any bells?

Tommy
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, acesover wrote:
We are not supposed to do deals like this.

I'm no military historian, but hasn't the U.S. participated in prisoner of war exchanges during and after most of the armed conflicts it has been involved in?

Yes, but things changed after September 11, 2001.

Enemy combatants, AKA terrorists, are not covered under the Geneva Conventions...

"The Geneva Conventions do not provide answers about who may be held in a conflict with a non-state actor like al-Qaeda or how long that person may be detained. As John Bellinger, top legal advisor to the U.S. State Department recently said, the Geneva Conventions "were designed in 1949 for different sorts of circumstances, and they don't provide easy answers in all cases to how to deal with international terrorists."

See here...
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Aces do what most do and just ignore Ian. His only goal is to troll and hate America. Why bother?

I find that posting a smileyface at his inane posts and replies are a fun way to recognize his follies. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

The simple observation that "the Geneva Convention does not provide answers about who may be held in a conflict with a non-state actor," is NOT the same, either legally or literally, as "the Geneva convention does not cover the present situation."

It also overlooks the fact that the Taliban, to which the exchanged prisoners belonged, was indeed the ruling faction in Afghanistan at the beginning of the hostilities. It was the governing body of Afghanistan from 1996 through December 2001. It was overthrown by the American-led invasion of the country.

It is, therefore, easy to make the legal argument that the Taliban prisoners were and are indeed covered by the Geneva convention, unlike ISIS and terrorist groups that are independent of any government.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, R.S. wrote:

As far as where Obama... here are some direct quotes:

Ron

Here are some more direct quotes for you...

"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

"My administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in government."

"Will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

"We support constitutional protections and judicial oversight on any surveillance program involving Americans."

On the IRS ~ "Not even a smidgen of corruption."

on Obamacare ~ "Here is a guarantee that I've made. If you have insurance that you like, then you will be able to keep that insurance."

"If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what."

"We agree on reforms that will finally reduce the costs of health care. Families will save on their premiums..."

"I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits - either now or in the future. I will not sign it if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future, period. And to prove that I'm serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don't materialize."

"I will sign a universal health-care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."

"For people with insurance, the only impact of the health-care law is that their insurance is stronger, better, and more secure than it was before. Full stop. That's it. They don't have to worry about anything else."

on the economy ~ "We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created."

"We've got to spend some money now to pull us out of this recession. But as soon as we're out of this recession, we've got to get serious about starting to live within our means, instead of leaving debt for our children and our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren."

And on and on and on...

A couple of my absolute favorites...

"We reject sweeping claims of `inherent` presidential power."

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear that I will execute the office of president of the United States faithfully, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States."

And, you think his statements about Iran are truthful?

We are giving up the farm, while Iran only benefits!

Non-scandals, campaign promises, and healthcare quotes is your comeback to the current situation in Iran? Seriously?? (besides, it is true that health-care insurance is stronger, better, and more secure than it was before, but that's just sidestepping the Iran issue)

Anyway, what "farm" are we giving away? What, if anything, are we "giving away"? There is no indication that Iran has nukes now. But if you think they do have nukes, please provide evidence. And also, please tell us exactly what YOU would do differently about Iran if you were President. Specifics please. Moreover, do you think Obama wants Iran to have nukes? What would he gain by Iran having nukes?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As far as where Obama... here are some direct quotes:

Ron

Here are some more direct quotes for you...

"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

"My administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in government."

"Will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."

"We support constitutional protections and judicial oversight on any surveillance program involving Americans."

On the IRS ~ "Not even a smidgen of corruption."

on Obamacare ~ "Here is a guarantee that I've made. If you have insurance that you like, then you will be able to keep that insurance."

"If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what."

"We agree on reforms that will finally reduce the costs of health care. Families will save on their premiums..."

"I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits - either now or in the future. I will not sign it if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future, period. And to prove that I'm serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don't materialize."

"I will sign a universal health-care bill into law by the end of my first term as president that will cover every American and cut the cost of a typical family's premium by up to $2,500 a year."

"For people with insurance, the only impact of the health-care law is that their insurance is stronger, better, and more secure than it was before. Full stop. That's it. They don't have to worry about anything else."

on the economy ~ "We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created."

"We've got to spend some money now to pull us out of this recession. But as soon as we're out of this recession, we've got to get serious about starting to live within our means, instead of leaving debt for our children and our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren."

And on and on and on...

A couple of my absolute favorites...

"We reject sweeping claims of `inherent` presidential power."

"I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear that I will execute the office of president of the United States faithfully, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States."

And, you think his statements about Iran are truthful?

We are giving up the farm, while Iran only benefits!

Non-scandals, campaign promises, and healthcare quotes is your comeback to the current situation in Iran? Seriously?? (besides, it is true that health-care insurance is stronger, better, and more secure than it was before, but that's just sidestepping the Iran issue)

Anyway, what "farm" are we giving away? What, if anything, are we "giving away"? There is no indication that Iran has nukes now. But if you think they do have nukes, please provide evidence. And also, please tell us exactly what YOU would do differently about Iran if you were President. Specifics please. Moreover, do you think Obama wants Iran to have nukes? What would he gain by Iran having nukes?

Ron

Non-scandals? Campaign promises that were lies. Stronger and better healthcare? You and I must be living on different planets.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

It also overlooks the fact that the Taliban, to which the exchanged prisoners belonged, was indeed the ruling faction in Afghanistan at the beginning of the hostilities. It was the governing body of Afghanistan from 1996 through December 2001. It was overthrown by the American-led invasion of the country.

It is, therefore, easy to make the legal argument that the Taliban prisoners were and are indeed covered by the Geneva convention, unlike ISIS and terrorist groups that are independent of any government.

Governing body?

The Taliban was never elected to govern.

They were then, as they are now, a terrorist organization.

Therefore, the rest of your statement is invalid.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

R.S. is obviously from Earth and has his facts right.

I'd love to hear where you are getting information about what is in the agreement with Iran, which doesn't yet exist and which no one has seen.

And, yes, 15 million more Americans have healthcare today than before the Affordable Care Act was passed.

Of course, that's on THIS planet. Your mileage may differ.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
R.S. is obviously from Earth and has his facts right.

I'd love to hear where you are getting information about what is in the agreement with Iran, which doesn't yet exist and which no one has seen.

And, yes, 15 million more Americans have healthcare today than before the Affordable Care Act was passed.

Of course, that's on THIS planet. Your mileage may differ.

We are already relaxing sanctions against Iran.

The agreement with Iran will be like the ACA...we have to pass it to see what's in it.

And, once again you cherry pick with the fifteen million comment.

How about addressing some of the other quotes?

What planet are you living on?

YMMV
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Some good news, for a change... (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL