The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Magic Presents: EVP - Alan Rorrison (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..30~31~32 [Next]
drstevemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Addicted to For Sale Forum so only have
261 Posts

Profile of drstevemagic
Thanks, Justin. Will push the button when I get home, tonight.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5317 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
@Justin, did you and your friend play it as "real" or a "trick" ?

Thanks,
~G

Or, a "real trick" ... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5317 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, YesManQ8 wrote:
@Prince I think magic is meant for entertaining people and presenting to them an enjoyable performance not lie to them and deceive them. Why would you do that? it's unethical.

WHAT ?

When you perform magic, that is not a practice of deceit ?

That's kind of a stretch ...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
YesManQ8
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of YesManQ8
Maybe I used the wrong words. Magic is deception yes, what I meant though is that lying to people and telling them the magic you're performing is real and supernatural is just messed up. Some people here are mad because they wanted to use Alan's trick to convince others that ghosts are real and they couldn't because of the name of the trick. Well even if Alan named it differently and people decided to Google to find out how you did it they will still find other tricks that do exactly the same thing.
Even then they still won't know how you did it unless they buy the trick and the vast majority won't buy it unless they are interested in performing magic.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Drstevemagic- not a problem. Let me
Know how you like EVP. I've for a few ideas I'm thinkimg of using it.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
MediocreMagician
View Profile
New user
Australia
35 Posts

Profile of MediocreMagician
I love the idea of an invisible friend IAIN! You get the creepiness and intrigue of the effect without flat out scaring someone. Also have the bonus of the presentation being a little harder to find by a google search than an EVP experiment. Using some elements like Prince mentioned with his friendly ghost having favorite tricks that he helps you perform is interesting too! No need to limit ourselves like Alan said, our imaginations are the only limit so have fun with it and keep looking for creative new ways to present it. Still waiting for mine to ship from Penguin but I've been working on some ideas already, so many exciting possibilities!
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, PRINCE wrote:
Yeah you can add additional sound but in my expertise in this field (oops - sorry for talking about this from personal advise as it's only in relation to try and mirror what an actual evp is that I have been experimenting, capturing and conducting for years, yet who am I to talk about what an evp is and how it looks and sounds - because the trick is called evp. Why, because that's what you are trying to capture) I wouldn't add static because when an evp is caught there is no static. The only other electronic sounds caught would be interference from mobile phone signal and from possible EMF devices but very rare. Add etc anything you all want, BUT if you want to try and keep as real as it can possibly look (which you should want to), then just stick to the voice.

Shhhhhh...quiet now the grown ups are talking.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Anyone see Chris Ramsey perform this on this week “Shift”? I liked it a lot and think it answered quite a bit of questions that I have seen on here. I am still waiting on mine but from what I saw the attire seemed very casual and if in shorter sleeves this is a non-issue I can see myself using this every day to freak people out. However what I did like was his preference of how he would use EVP. I love the eerie, creepy and scary side of magic. But I never let it to be believed as anything else than just a performance or an example of something scary. I never leave them believing that what I just showed them was anything other than just a magical performances or an illusion and to fear not because it was not real. Only meant to look real. Are you kidding me!

People who do this type of magic and not call it magic but try to pass it off as something truly real without knowing what their spectators level of belief is a very dangerous thing to do. I know my mother alone would never want me to practice any of these types of effects to her because her level of belief is great. She would feel that I was temping and mocking ghosts and now I trapped one in her phone. I have done Hampton Falls by Tony Chris and people have been left pale before I tell them it’s an illusion and nothing to fear. I know I would never do “The Web” on anyone without knowing there true level of fear of spiders. And even then I tell them what they are about to see is just an illusion. Try doing Stigmata effect to a True Catholic without clarifying that it’s just a “TRICK” and see what happens. I am going to have no problem using my EVP to freak and scary and make people ponder about, but I will always specify that it is just an Illusion. As for the name, I don’t see how it’s in any way our concern what the creator chose to name is. A few weeks back I read about how people were mad that someone named their effect the “Zodiac Killer” LOL again. If people have a problem with something someone is creating and bringing to the community then do not buy it. Do not support it; hit the back button on your computer and move on to the next effect. I don’t get this “I don’t like this and I don’t like that….. But ima still get it” attitude. If someone does a card reveal with it (Don’t plan on it) but if someone does so what…. Their purchase their effect their business no? For all you know they kill with it. If you choose to go a more realistic demonstration of EVP great perfect.

Point is it looks like it will be a great effect. Alan is releasing it to the masses (WHICH HE DID NOT HAVE TO DO) and once you buy it he has said you are free to use it however you please. Why or where is there any room for debate? Especially on a forum that is designed to enquire and review a product. The end of the day, if you like what you see buy the effect and do with it as you please. Maybe even tell about how you’re using it and a review. If you don’t support it then cool also, see you on another page. Also I did not direct this at any one poster but just the lot of people who do nothing but provide negative content on the entire café recently. So if you felt personally singled out it was not my intention. Other than that who else has gotten their hands on EVP?
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Thanks Zuke 👍 now and again it pays to listen, pay attention and learn.

This effect was intended and don't care what anyone says for the purpose of you trying to capture a real and genuine evp on someone's phone buy conducting a real time evp experiment. The reason you don't use yours, or any other recording device etc and use THIERS is to add to the whole 'evidence' making it more believable as it's on their phone which they can keep the recording of the evp. You honestly say or give the impression before performing it that is just a trick or an illusion, you will not be getting the 'freaked out' reactions. The whole emotion and thought process changes and goes from them being a bit frightened, scared (which is what this was/is intended for, or should be) etc to wow cool trick I wonder he managed to get that on my phone.

Watch all the trailers etc and it is only aimed, presented and performed one way with one aim and goal to get that emotional hook - not giving the impression this is a magic trick or illusion. The comments about bordering on the ethics etc are true unfortunately, and you have to be careful who you perform this on as mentioned above (after all you also don't know what they may have experienced in the past regarding this - paranormal experience people homes are and what they experience regarding possible hauntings etc are more common than you think. The reason people don't want to talk about it is because they want to try and forget, so potential damage could be done BUT if you follow it up with yeah looks real but just a trick so don't worry, then nothing to worry about - possibly)

To perform this with the build up and background, then to make aware just a trick is IMO just a contradiction - what's the point. This is too strong of an effect to just pass this off as a trick.

Class dismissed - Zuke please can you stay behind as you have detention 😉
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Your now saying the same rubbish over and over and now becoming a little patronising with it.

The effect can be played as anyone wants. The evp presentation is only a small fraction of what this can do and any one would be silly to purely focus on that.

To start you had an issue with the name. You've voiced your opinion on it. In fact you have had your opinion on repeat as if it makes it any more relevant or important than anyone else. It saddly dosnt and it has been said many times, if I google any trick description I can find any trick I want to buy.

You have also said a few times that no performer would pass this off as a trick. Well I do! And don't be so disrespectful to say " of course you don't", you have never seen me perform this in any way. You may have not heard me talk about the scum ( in my opinion) that is ghost hunters mediums and the likes. I have a very hard line option on these parisites and would never portray myself as one. To me( the creator of this gimmick and routines) this is just a trick I am after all a magician selling it to magicians!
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I thought this was a forum for magicians. Don't ghost hunters have their own forums?
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of 13
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, M Sini wrote:
I thought this was a forum for magicians. Don't ghost hunters have their own forums?

"Ghost hunters" wouldn't have found it so easily if the trick had been given a clandestine name.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of rasp
For god sake Prince, its quite clear this is not for you so just move on!!!
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
...The evp presentation is only a small fraction of what this can do and any one would be silly to purely focus on that.

But you and Murphy's marketed this effect (it truly does look like a great effect) that way and that way only. In fact, the ad at the bottom right of the Café says "Borrow their phone. Talk to the Dead. The Dead talk back." Sounds (no pun intended) like the main focus to me.

I understand a lot of magicians feel uncomfortable performing this and saying it's a just a trick afterwards, but then what's the point of performing it? Like Eugene Burger said in his Penguin Lecture, people don't want to know if the snakes in the haunted house are made of rubber. They want to be scared.

Alan, I will be purchasing this in the near future, because this fits right in with my persona and character as a bizarre magician/seance performer (for entertainment only), but I'm not going to say it's just a trick - that just trivializes all the work you have done on this fine product. If my audience is going to think it's real, I'm going to let them. They are going to believe what they want to believe and if they don't believe, that's fine too but if I give them something to talk about and challenge their skepticism, then I accomplished what I wanted to do.

Cheers,
Allan
maxignites
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of maxignites
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, Allan Kardek wrote:
Quote:
...The evp presentation is only a small fraction of what this can do and any one would be silly to purely focus on that.

But you and Murphy's marketed this effect (it truly does look like a great effect) that way and that way only. In fact, the ad at the bottom right of the Café says "Borrow their phone. Talk to the Dead. The Dead talk back." Sounds (no pun intended) like the main focus to me.

I understand a lot of magicians feel uncomfortable performing this and saying it's a just a trick afterwards, but then what's the point of performing it? Like Eugene Burger said in his Penguin Lecture, people don't want to know if the snakes in the haunted house are made of rubber. They want to be scared.

Alan, I will be purchasing this in the near future, because this fits right in with my persona and character as a bizarre magician/seance performer (for entertainment only), but I'm not going to say it's just a trick - that just trivializes all the work you have done on this fine product. If my audience is going to think it's real, I'm going to let them. They are going to believe what they want to believe and if they don't believe, that's fine too but if I give them something to talk about and challenge their skepticism, then I accomplished what I wanted to do.

Cheers,
Allan

Then your last souvenir to the spectators is their fear mate ? pretty creepy (but nice tho) Smile
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Allan. Perform it how you like. And it's marketed the best way to sell it. That's business 101.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5317 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
If I purchase, I'll prolly do two EVP in routine.
First one will be "Help" in a Woman or Child's voice!
The second will be "Get the *uck Out"! in a Deep Male Demonic Voice !

I'll try to explain ... if, I can find them after running ! LOL

Have a Nice Day ! Smile

~G
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
That's ur choice bud...
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
556 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Alan,

I think this effect looks amazing.

The whole "EVP" thing doesn't exactly fit my performance style (I mostly perform for friends and randoms at bars)

But I could see me using this to reveal someone's card and go from there.

Did you mention that you do no recommend revealing a card?

best,
brandon
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I think it all depends on how you perform it. I can see someone really creeping it and I can see someone making it a lot of fun with humor. To each is own is the point I think.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Magic Presents: EVP - Alan Rorrison (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL