The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Magic Presents: EVP - Alan Rorrison (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..30~31~32 [Next]
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Mine is arriving next week ~ will give it a try and hope the strap on won't be difficult . I like Soundzamazing so much yet didn't perform much in the end as there are just too much wires sadly . Felt kinda uncomfortable with the main unit in my inner breast pocket . Hopefully this one will work well for me .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, alexlatorre wrote:
Hey guys! Quick question: Do you need your own smartphone to perform this effect? Or can you be walking around without a phone?
Thanks.

You can perform using a borrowed phone ~~ Well 21st century and walking out without a phone ? Hum that is a little weird ...

- Albert Einstein
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, alexlatorre wrote:
Hey guys! Quick question: Do you need your own smartphone to perform this effect? Or can you be walking around without a phone?
Thanks.

You need your own phone. Not just the spectator's.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Mine is arriving next week . I only knew there is no battery involved but need to plug into ur own phone so it can be activated right ?

- Albert Einstein
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
That is correct.
I2C
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of I2C
Wanted to offer a more critical view on this gimmick. Warning: I come from an engineering background, and have a very critical eye for quality and value. Also, I firmly believe the educated consumer is what drives product quality, value, and innovation. Knowledge is what protects us from getting ripped off.

First let's go over what attracted me to purchase EVP: On watching the EVP trailers, I had ideas of achieving the effect with plain jane consumer junk. However, the price led me to believe that EVP was taking a more sophisticated approach in technology. In other words, it was the prospect of seeing the application of innovative technology which led me to purchase EVP. With that context in mind, it is difficult to concisely communicate how I felt when I finally held EVP in all its glory. I was breathless - from a mixture of surreal shock and disappointment. The gimmick is as primitive as it gets, nor is the implementation elegant either.

As several people have stated, the product box/packaging is nice. Unfortunately, the packaging is *the* most impressive aspect of this gimmick. In fact, the cost of the packaging (card stock, magnets, package printing/finish, and foam inserts) works out to be more than the gimmick's cost - seriously, that is not an exaggeration.

If you've ever bought a new smartphone, EVP is the accessory which you've probably tossed out. The DVD will mention how the hardware is very special and "uni-directional"; that is no different than a low quality accessory which is included with all new smartphones coming in retail packaging.

The price of EVP, is downright insulting. We are not stupid enough to be convinced by pretty packaging and marketing. A fair market price for EVP, factoring in R&D, is no more than $9.99, and that's still leaving over 200% profit margins.

Also, EVP wouldn't have been so insulting if it was implemented better. As it is right now, there was minimal work and effort involved in product design and research. There is so much room for improvement at minimal additional cost.

Here's some constructive feedback to improve EVP.

Absolutely no-brainer, low cost, low tech *OBVIOUS* ideas that require minimal effort:
* The main part of the gimmick, has a cable which juts out at a right angle (almost as if it was an off the shelf part of something we all have!). A proper no-brainer design would've been to use use a part with a straight cable. Also, why is there a silicone rubber ring surrounding the tip of the gimmick? At first glance, I thought the gimmick was something that is meant to go into an orifice - it was rather confusing.
* There is a reflective circular sticker embedded into the back of the gimmick. Cheapest thing to do is to sharpie this out.
* The switch makes an audible click which is no different than your standard radioshack switch. A more thoughtful design would've used either a silent switch, or a dampener.
* Cabling. The cabling sleeve will eventually dissolve due to sweat. It's just, the lowest quality crap you can get.
* How to expand EVP's capabilities to work with any recording device (not just smartphones): Add this to the description "works on any recording device implementing an exposed microphone with auto gain adjustment, designed around a hand held usage case!"

Slightly higher cost, shows signs that some product design effort was involved:
* Main part of the gimmick is a spherical shaped device, that can be bulky if you opt for the sleeveless route. There are flatter, lower profile options readily available.
* Make the switch wireless.
* Make the entire *** gimmick wireless. Sounds like a stretch, until you realize that there are consumer products available right now, which essentially perform the same function wirelessly, for $25 (incredibly, I see a listing for $7.64 with free shipping if you order directly from China).
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Hum ... Well seem that you are disappointed about the method used yeah ? Well magic ... To be frank , mostly uses a very obvious method to achieving something amazing . You are not paying for the technology but rather , the effect . I will be receiving mine tomorrow and will write a review on my take of the device . Hopefully I will like it . Actually have you tried performing to someone ? Is the click in the switch very noticeable to the audience ?

- Albert Einstein
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Sorry you were not happy with it. This is what I use to do the effect and it does what it says in the tin however I'll take your concerns into consideration
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
The switch is not noticeable in normal performance. We wanted the tactile feel to so you know when you have pressed it.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Youre paying for an idea. If you could make it better, why didn't you? Alan had the thought. it's worth money to pay creators for their ideas.
Those wireless speakers youre talking about, another pairing to get up and running, another set of batteries. Well two more sets. So let's see, the speaker, the transmitter and the switch all need their own batteries on your model.
You need to pair the speaker and transmitter. I have lots of wireless fm and bluetooth transmitters in my junk drawer. Sometimes simple is better. It's called "elegance"
James

Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, I2C wrote:
Wanted to offer a more critical view on this gimmick. Warning: I come from an engineering background, and have a very critical eye for quality and value. Also, I firmly believe the educated consumer is what drives product quality, value, and innovation. Knowledge is what protects us from getting ripped off.

First let's go over what attracted me to purchase EVP: On watching the EVP trailers, I had ideas of achieving the effect with plain jane consumer junk. However, the price led me to believe that EVP was taking a more sophisticated approach in technology. In other words, it was the prospect of seeing the application of innovative technology which led me to purchase EVP. With that context in mind, it is difficult to concisely communicate how I felt when I finally held EVP in all its glory. I was breathless - from a mixture of surreal shock and disappointment. The gimmick is as primitive as it gets, nor is the implementation elegant either.

As several people have stated, the product box/packaging is nice. Unfortunately, the packaging is *the* most impressive aspect of this gimmick. In fact, the cost of the packaging (card stock, magnets, package printing/finish, and foam inserts) works out to be more than the gimmick's cost - seriously, that is not an exaggeration.

If you've ever bought a new smartphone, EVP is the accessory which you've probably tossed out. The DVD will mention how the hardware is very special and "uni-directional"; that is no different than a low quality accessory which is included with all new smartphones coming in retail packaging.

The price of EVP, is downright insulting. We are not stupid enough to be convinced by pretty packaging and marketing. A fair market price for EVP, factoring in R&D, is no more than $9.99, and that's still leaving over 200% profit margins.

Also, EVP wouldn't have been so insulting if it was implemented better. As it is right now, there was minimal work and effort involved in product design and research. There is so much room for improvement at minimal additional cost.

Here's some constructive feedback to improve EVP.

Absolutely no-brainer, low cost, low tech *OBVIOUS* ideas that require minimal effort:
* The main part of the gimmick, has a cable which juts out at a right angle (almost as if it was an off the shelf part of something we all have!). A proper no-brainer design would've been to use use a part with a straight cable. Also, why is there a silicone rubber ring surrounding the tip of the gimmick? At first glance, I thought the gimmick was something that is meant to go into an orifice - it was rather confusing.
* There is a reflective circular sticker embedded into the back of the gimmick. Cheapest thing to do is to sharpie this out.
* The switch makes an audible click which is no different than your standard radioshack switch. A more thoughtful design would've used either a silent switch, or a dampener.
* Cabling. The cabling sleeve will eventually dissolve due to sweat. It's just, the lowest quality crap you can get.
* How to expand EVP's capabilities to work with any recording device (not just smartphones): Add this to the description "works on any recording device implementing an exposed microphone with auto gain adjustment, designed around a hand held usage case!"

Slightly higher cost, shows signs that some product design effort was involved:
* Main part of the gimmick is a spherical shaped device, that can be bulky if you opt for the sleeveless route. There are flatter, lower profile options readily available.
* Make the switch wireless.
* Make the entire *** gimmick wireless. Sounds like a stretch, until you realize that there are consumer products available right now, which essentially perform the same function wirelessly, for $25 (incredibly, I see a listing for $7.64 with free shipping if you order directly from China).
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
We don't think of wireless but in general it brings around more issues than there worth in the real world. You can't please everyone and he's obviously allowed his opinion.. I'm just happy the over feedback is awesome
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Wireless devices are not always the best , the signal may get interfered by some random things in the room . That been said wireless controls can sometimes be unreliable though . You never know ... Let's be safe than sorry . Anyway I don't see how the wires are going to affect you very much ... It's better to be safe .

- Albert Einstein
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I'm an XXL guy. It sounds like I should wait for the next round of improvements.

Dan.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
The gimmick will work just fine for you mate. It's how it attaches to you that may be a problem.. Easily solved though
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Just got this . I must agree with the previous post saying that this gimmick does not take much money to make ... However for the idea , what I paid was really worth it . I never thought such device could be used this way though ~ This will definitely be something I will be doing . The entire unit is not difficult to carry around at all , just two straps and I will be able to create the magic ... Really like it ~

- Albert Einstein
Dazzler UK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
108 Posts

Profile of Dazzler UK
Either way you look at it 1 week from now, 1 month from now even 1 year from now. This will still slay anyone guaranteed!
There are two rules for success..... 1. Never reveal everything you know.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3296 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Could the device be built into a table top or lid of a brief case so if a phone was placed down on top, you could accomplish the effect? I ask as there seems to be an issue for large people fitting it to their bodies.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Mine works perfectly fine ~ U can though put it at other places but you have to make sure you can activate the trigger ~ the entire unit isn't that big to hide .

- Albert Einstein
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Just tried this out on the street . Got a better reaction than I expected ! For a hundred dollars this is a real worker . After some performances I decided to stick with the spiritual presentation instead of using it as a revelation . Wow ...

Anyway , I think I read previously that there is a Facebook group on EVP right ?

- Albert Einstein
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3296 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Magician560
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Murphy's Magic Presents: EVP - Alan Rorrison (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL