The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Don Wayne's Floating Ball (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
I am thinking about purchasing an illusion called THe Floating Ball, by Don Wayne.

It is, or so I hear, the one performed by Copperfield; and sells for $60.

Has anyone purchased it and performed it and was it worth it?

Thanks!
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Weither it was performed by Copperfield, I am not really sure.

What you get is a very nice ball and instuctions. You need a stage like in a theater to perform this item besides stage hands. Not much of a routine is included and no ideas on presentation. Then a lot of rehearsel is needed.
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Thanks wmhegbli.

You mean I'd need an assistant to perform it? And it couldn't be done relatively close?

Thanks for the quick reply!
-Randy
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, it is only for a full stage show, lights, wings, etc.

Performing stage as in New York plays. You will also need correct lighting.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
The official Wayne version requires two assistants. You can get by with one. In both cases you require a full stage set up. For those environments, it is probably the most magical floating ball routine extant.
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
Two assistants?!? Heck, I can't even afford one yet!

That one's going to be waiting in the wings (pun intended!) for awhile!
-Randy
Smile
~~~~~
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
The Don Wayne ball is the one that David Copperfield used back in the late 70's or early 80's. The method is essentially the same as the Okito (Theo Bamberg) floating ball.

Bill is correct, this is a stage effect. I'm not looking at my manuscript for it, but I'm pretty sure that only the more advanced routine requires a single off-stage assistant. There is a more basic hook-up which can be done without an assistant.

That being said, the rest of Bill's requirements...
Full Stage with wings....required
Special lighting.............required
Lots of rehearsal...........REQUIRED
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Richard,
I hate to disagree with everyone above but this effect does NOT require any assistants if you choose so. The Signle Man method may not be as dramatic but it can be VERY effective as I performed it many times by myself.
I did it in a less than large area but you DO need to control the lighting. It does require a lot of rehearsal but anything good should take practice.
Rather than typing my brains out, you can call me for the performance details if you choose to buy this. PM me for my phone #.
I actually did this in a Bar type setting and sent the ball right over the heads of the audience with out anybody wise to the method. However you MUST have control of the lighting as said before.
Don't be paranoid to buy this...it can KILL if you take note of every performance detail.
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chance Wolf,

I realize there are ways to do the floating ball with 1 person. But the instructions that come with the ball do not discribe a 1 man version. It would mean buying alot of other books and ideas.

As I don't know what type of effort the person wants to put into the effect I cannot recommend it as is. I own this superior ball myself but it cannot be done at birthday parties.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
There is an excellent book called Animations by, I believe Michael Chung from Hawaii. It is and excellent source of information on floating anything.

I have a tape here of David doing a Silver Ball...not mirror on a special and I also have one of Doug Henning using the same style, if not exactly the same, ball. I recall the Loni Anderson mirror ball routine but think David did several version of the ball effect.

Cheers,

Shawn
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Had to dig to find this stuff - Back when I dreamed of being a stage magician I bought this. I have it in my closet still in the original box. Tried it out a couple times - never had a venue for it. If you'd like to buy it from me send me a PM. (though I don't swear that I'll sell it - the dreamer still lives inside me)

As I sit here looking at the directions sheet which came with it in 1979, I see that you get a basic One-Man method for floating the ball. No routine is included.

The Don Wayne Floating Ball Manuscript (sold separately!) is referenced on the sheet. Two other sources cited on the sheet are "David P. Abbott's Book of Mysteries", and "The Oriental Magic of the Bambergs".

I have the original Don Wayne Manuscript. It describes two different riggings, both which require an off-stage assistant, and includes a full routine, as well as a discussion of lighting and backdrops.

I was fortunate to find "The Oriental Magic of the Bambergs" by Dr. Albo in the collection of the local university. A beautiful oversized book limited to 500 copies. The information in this book is much more detailed with 20f illustrations of this effect. Okito's floating ball is a one-man method - and basically the same one that Don Wayne originally included with the ball.

On the opening page of the manuscript, Don Wayne says his method "was first performed on national television by Mark Wilson... David Copperfield also featured this method in a ballroom setting and uses a mirror ball in his television performances."

Though my memory is of Copperfield floating this same ball, I am going to have to go with what Don Wayne said in the little manuscript I'm holding here. Perhaps he did both. Have you watched that Copperfield tape closely lately Shawn?
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Hi, everyone...Great comments. However, I will tell you my experience with this great piece of equipment. I have performed it numerous times; stage,even in a circus. Now you are all right that you need proper lighting, but you can get away by placing a mylar backdrop, and with this in placed you cannot see the gimmick from 4 feet. I performed this effect just as I described it and it was perfect. Furthermore, I perform this effect alone, "no help," yes you are all right that two people would be ideal, but there are other methods to this effect that work as well.

I believe that this effect is outstanding and with some practice it would be a great piece of magic in any magician's performance.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Magia335, Thanks for the report on actually using this prop and for the tip on the mylar curtain. I bought one several months ago on ebay or magicauction.com for about $45. It's a great looking prop. I don't do stage shows very often but I couldn't pass up the deal.
OliverTwist
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi Guys do anyone know where I can buy a Mylar Backdrop? Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-06-06 06:02, dsilverfield wrote:
Hi Guys do anyone know where I can buy a Mylar Backdrop? Thanks

I will bill you for doing a simple search for you. The simple answer is New York.

The search turned up a number of strings. Here is 1: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11
I believe the Café has answered every question on magic there is. All anyone has to do now is search for the answers.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Thanks for the link WM and by the way do you accept post dated cheques? I should be getting some pay in ayear or two.
thanks anyway.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
172 Posts

Profile of magia355
Mylar can be purchased at any Party Store. After you purchase the mylar have it stapled to black cloth,and there you have it. A great piece of equipment.
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
Spellbinder is such a wise & knowledgeable guy! And such a good writer. Thanks, PS for your comments on this illusion.

Folks have been saying a lot here about the need for a lot of rehearsal for this and similar illusions. And there is proof that such work pays off. I stumbled onto the Ukrainian magician Galina as I was researching the floating ball. And the way she combines the floating silks with the ball and then the ball with the self-levitation is fabulous. And then at the end, Spellbinder's dream finish as she lets the ball free to rise into the flies. This is the most sensual and beautiful magic I have seen in a long time. It is a beautifully choreographed and realized performance. Okito and Don Wayne should be thrilled to see what has become of this illusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmORbVSR6U&feature=fvw

At the end click on the two other Galina videos. Talk about some sexy linking ring moves! And the rings segue neatly into another routine with the floating ball. Well, here, I'll give you those links too, just to be sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdTpHJLNXo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H-nVn2OKGc
Brian Arkell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Brian Arkell
Fantastic Illusion under the right conditions!

Brian

Brian Arkell
Arkell Magic
http://www.arkellmagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 01:28, Brian Arkell wrote:
Fantastic Illusion under the right conditions!

Brian

Brian Arkell
Arkell Magic

http://www.arkellmagic.com

In what sorts of conditions have you performed this?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Don Wayne's Floating Ball (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL