The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Changing decks during a performance (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tukaram
View Profile
Regular user
Iloilo, Philippines
198 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
My favorite deck switch hardly counts as a switch. I learned it from Harry Anderson. During the effect he simply puts the cards in his right jacket pocket. A few minutes later, when he needs the cards again he reaches into his left jacket pocket and pulls out a different deck. He says you are not switching decks... you just put them in your pocket... and take them out of your pocket... the fact that it is a different pocket is not an issue.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I do it with sleight of hand or I just add a different type of trick in the middle. Or I just put the deck in my pocket "so that I cannot touch it" and then come out with a different one. Gaffed and gimmicked decks usually have a stronger effect than impromptu effects with borrowed decks. But I have always done both. I love to go that extra mile using elaborate set ups, gimmicks and gaffs for maximum effect. I have borrowed decks then to prove a point that it is not the deck. But I mostly use my own as borrowed decks tend to me dirty, bent, and missing cards. I love doing pure sleight of hand effects as well but you are limited if you do just that, I like to have a lot of variety as well. So I do it all and mix my sets up nicely. I also use sleight of hand mixed with gaffed/gimmicked decks for even stronger results.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6952 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Slipping a gaff card into a borrowed deck plays very strong as well. Like a short? Smile

Doug
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah that works as well, as long they do not give you a one-way picture back bridge set Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6952 Posts

Profile of Dougini
LOL!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
The “in-one-pocket-and-out-the-other” switch is risky. People DO notice! I’d put it in the same category as the Cross Cut Force. It can work for some people, but most who try do it so poorly they are likely to get caught. “Time misdirection” is mandatory!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Hello everyone. I'm new on the Café.

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Hi Otto! Welcome to the Café! Smile

You mean switch decks? There are many ways to do this. One, is buy the book, "The Art of Switching Decks" by Roberto Giobbi:

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Decks-Ro......0CD7DIK2

Another is the Deck Shell:

http://www.chazpro.com/deck-shell-bicycle-poker-red-back/

Does this help?

Doug

Agree! Giobbi's book is a true gem. It covers everything you need to know about deck switch in detail.

How about a Flash Deck Switch by Shin Lim? Any thoughts?
May you live in interesting times.
Jan Schattling
View Profile
New user
Hamburg, Germany
88 Posts

Profile of Jan Schattling
I like Flash Deck Switch very much.
You have to practice a bit that the movement is natural but then it is a great tool.
You will get a well made bicycle style gimick and all information you need to know, to make custom ones for your prefered deck types.
I like it more than traditional shells, so if you need another method for a deck switch I would recommend it.

Jan
"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Lee Jun-fan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Changing decks during a performance (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL