We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The unteachable essentials (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
530 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
I try to use magic with strangers whenever I can to help build my confidence and get through an almost painful shyness I've had all my life. I travel a lot for work and eat out at pubs and restaurants so have ample opportunity to interact with people I'm probably never going to meet again. Sometimes it can be incredibly hard to take that step to talk to a complete stranger and even harder to ask them if they would like to see a trick, but in my experience it can be really worthwhile.
Maker of Magical Poppets - www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RockTrollCrafts

Websites built for creators and performers of the bizarre - www.oakdigitalsolutions.co.uk
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.
Déclic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Déclic
At last, you have to know how to let go and do the things primarily for you.
You have to do good for your public, but you should only judge yourself by your own satisfaction. The audience might be satisfied and you not.
You have to have confidence in general in yourself.
And so, just go and try it, after sufficient practice. It won't be perfect at first but it can be (has to be) good enough for the audience to feel something.

Also, you have to learn to learn, so you can judge when you practiced enough and what could be improved. If you just do that by repeat and trial and error, it's not good.
Because there is more than "not doing mistakes". There's "knowing what mistakes can happen and how", and "what can I do more so it's even better that now".
If you have confidence in your manner of learning, you can have confidence in what you learn.
Extending that, you have no more problems in performing it.
But I guess you are also in fear of the audience opinion, however you would really perform.

If you have beliefs about what people think about magicians, find them and change them if they are not positive.
You have plenty examples that show that magic is widely appreciated, and you don't have be Dai Vernon to be good.
wk3
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of wk3
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, MGordonB wrote:
I think one of the problems that a lot of us have is that we are afraid to make mistakes, to look bad in front of other people, to fail even. This is something that we have to get over because it is only by making mistakes and failing from time to time that we learn, improve, and get better. We have to jump in the metaphorical deep end of the pool and just go for it.

I’m not especially confident in my magical abilities and I’m probably overly hard on myself to boot. But I have gone ahead an done a few performances, mostly for family, friends and co-workers (I do a volunteer show each year as part of a work fund raiser). Some tricks have bombed, but in general I’ve done alright. Every time I do a performance I can feel myself getting better. When I first started, I used a S******* deck to force cards, now using an ordinary deck and basic skills I can control a card to the top and bottom then force it.

This. Thanks for sharing. It's exactly how I feel. I started getting out to the streets to share my magic with others. And it's really tough getting started b/c I'm afraid of failing. But once I get started, it's always a lot of fun. And when I do mess up, it's never that bad. Just laugh at myself and move on Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Being comfortable while uncomfortable and going on.

This can be during
A. First few moments of a routine
B. When something unplanned happens such as
C. A spectators response
D. After the audience vanishes and you review the
good - bad - and ugly of a show.
1. The uglies of past show have taught me much including
letting go.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
andreyduarte
View Profile
New user
Brazil, Espirito Santo.
1 Post

Profile of andreyduarte
A good trick (pun intended) to gain confidence I've came across is to perform to people ou will never see again, like in the bus stop, or at a party, because if you fail... well, you will never see them again! Just take a deep breath, get your deck of cards and say "Hi, can I show you guys an awesome thing?".
It helped me a lot, I hope it can help you too. Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
This is where you transition from a trickster to a performer. If you are a teacher or speaker, you have a persona or character established for you, and you walk out in the confidence of that. If you're just showing off tricks, then the skill of doing the trick is what it's all about.

But as soon as you become a performer with a character that must adapt to and interact with the audience while delivering entertaining material, everything changes. It's a much more fluid environment (in most cases), and requires a different skill set. We are used to hiding behind what we can do -- but performers use their persona as the stage that a trick is shown on. A performer can't hide - and that scares many people back into hiding behind tricks.

Ed
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Teaching doesn't just have to be in a classroom. A teacher can watch you perform and coach you to get better -- that is teaching also.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The unteachable essentials (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL