We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Deconstructing Mentalism - a new book by Bob Cassidy (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
If I was bartending in a Liverpool pub and gave someone the bum's rush, what would that mean?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I just found this out:

"The term's origin goes back to a phrase from the turn of the 20th century, "give (someone) the bum's rush." By then, "bum" had gained currency in American slang to refer to tramps and lowlifes (a shortened form of "bummer," likely from the German word "bummler," meaning "loafer").

As Green's Dictionary of Slang explains, "the bum's rush" is what would happen if a vagrant entered a saloon, hoping to take advantage of "the sometimes sumptuous free lunch counters, which were meant for drinkers only." The freeloader would be forcibly removed from the premises.

"Bum's rush" came to refer to any kind of sudden ejection or dismissal, and it would occasionally get shortened to "bum rush." The noun eventually morphed into a hyphenated verb, as in this 1962 Variety headline: "Palm Springs Cops Bum-Rush Easter Vacash Rowdies."
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Since I was once actually a bartender who often gave out the bums' rush, I knew that. My question, though, is what would the phrase mean anything different in the UK? Or could a bum rush simply be a sudden need to get to a toilet?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
We don't use it that often over here..

I would be tempted to warp the meaning, and use it in an emergency, after a strong curry and I felt a sudden urge...

Or bums rush in where angels fear to...?
I've asked to be banned
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
So do americans ever use the word 'bum' to mean 'bottom/butt' or is that just an English phrase?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
So do americans ever use the word 'bum' to mean 'bottom/butt' or is that just an English phrase?

I think their equivalent is 'fanny'. And that just opens a whole other can of linguistic worms...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
393 Posts

Profile of Jheff
For all those who are waiting, Bob and I have good news, bad news, and better news.

The bad news is that the book has been delayed a bit. This is my fault. I don't want Bob to rush it and I want to take the time to edit it so that it's the very best that it can be.

The good news is that, in the meantime, Bob and I will be a doing brand new teleseminar on May 21. You can sign up for it right now on my site.

The better news is that, even though I'm holding Bob to his claim that we will not take pre-orders on the book separately, we put together a package deal so that you can buy both the teleseminar and the book together.

More details are on the website as I don't want this to turn this thread completely into a sales blurb or discussion of the teleseminar. I'm sure Bob will start another thread on that and we can discuss it there.

http://marketplaceofthemind.com/products/deckment/

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think you guys are going to enjoy this. Note that those who want to listen in live and participate are advised to sign up early.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I think you guys are going to enjoy this.

Bob, you are too humble! With Fundamentals and Dr. Crow, I have almost a LIFETIME of incredible stuff! Still, I gotta have this. You and I have several things in common. We both wear black. And we both have experience in public speaking. I've done television a number of times, but my 40 year career was as a radio disc jockey.

I don't want to be known as a Mentalist. However, the things I have learned so far put me WAY ahead in this Art. Right now, I'm studying The Billet. This alone needs MONTHS of study and practice! I have not yet seen work on The Center Tear, so that is still down the road. Then the NW! OMG...pure genius! And a year of practice before it sees the light of day! Now this book?

Yeah. Gotta have it. I like Bob Cassidy. I thought Fundamentals was all I'd ever need. Maybe. And Bob has been perfect in answering my questions. Take your time with this book, guys. I can't even think about it this month!

Doug
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Please don't bring this out until after my exams! I spend enough time procrastinating with mentalism as it is - this would just be the nail in the coffin!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1576 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I'll be getting this when I return from my trip in Canada & U.S.A. Home early next week. Can't think of a better purchase in Mentalism to get my brain cells ticking overtime with the many questions and meanderings that Bob, no doubt will pose and present with the seminar and book.

Looking forward to the latest offering from Mastermindreader. No BS or trolling here. Pure gold for the listeners/readers that know what to listen and look out for.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
393 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Oliver Wallen wrote:
Please don't bring this out until after my exams!

Can't promise that, Oliver. Just like good food, when it's ready to be served, it will be served. I'm not going to try to estimate when the book is coming out, except that with the teleseminar I doubt it will be released within the next two weeks, if that will help. But I can say that Bob has found a new burst of energy to create stuff and, besides the teleseminar and book (and upcoming ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY 3), there will be much more from Bob and some cool surprises that you are going to want. And, if you don't mind this shameless plug, I'll suggest that if you like Bob's stuff, you should check out my own stuff.

- Jheff
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Oliver- You need to get your priorities straight. Smile

But, seriously, if you've just started out in mentalism, I'd seriously recommend that you read the fundamental works on the subject before you jump into the more advanced stuff. The book and the teleseminar will really be most valuable to those who have a good working knowledge of the subject and have some performing experience.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
Don't worry Bob, it was just a joke!

I appreciate the honesty. Where would you suggest learning the fundamentals, bearing in mind that I've read the 13 steps, most of practical mental magic and your own principia mentalia?

Thanks,
Oli
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On May 3, 2015, Oliver Wallen wrote:
Don't worry Bob, it was just a joke!

I appreciate the honesty. Where would you suggest learning the fundamentals, bearing in mind that I've read the 13 steps, most of practical mental magic and your own principia mentalia?

Thanks,
Oli

Not surprisingly, I'd recommend my own book, "Fundamentals."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
393 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Bob,

I think you mean that you recommend THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY VOLUME 2: FUNDAMENTALS, which includes a newly revised and edited version of FUNDAMENTALS along with many more revised and edited e-books written by Bob. Smile

- Jheff
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes. That's what I meant!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY VOLUME 2: FUNDAMENTALS will keep you busy! Believe me! That and the Dr. Crow book, is really all one needs for a lifetime! This is icing on the cake.

Doug
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
486 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I get so behind with keeping up on reading material. I suppose that is one of the downsides to making a living doing this. It's these 24 hour days that are so limiting. I think we need to pass a law or something and raise the daily hour limit to 32. I could get so much more done!
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Any word on this release?
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Deconstructing Mentalism - a new book by Bob Cassidy (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL