We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper Dollar Solution (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
This may not be the best for everyone but it may help some of you who use dollar size coins and want copper coins in that size.

The Sudbury Penny wasn't what I wanted, but if a big penny doesn't turn you off, the Sudbury II from Brad Burt is the way to go. $35.00

I wanted a BU coin 38.1mm. In my searches I also came across the Kansu (Chinese Republic) 50 Cash coin as a possibile match. It is recent enough (early 1900's) that they can still be found if you search and will probably be around $33.00. Like I said, I wanted a BU coin and I could only locate VG (soft) 50 Cash coins. I have not had replies from my inquiries about just how big this coin is in relationship to the Morgan 38.1 mm, so if you investigate and find out something, maybe post it in this thread for future refrence.

Finally, I located something I was satisfied with. It is not a Coin, but it was a coin. In fact it was a copper pattern of a real coin, released only to collectors. This replica, unlike many out there, was not made from a mold, it was struck with a die just like real coins. The replica (of a replica)is a Judd pattern of the Christian Gobrecht Dollar (1836) struck on a pure copper planchet and I am holding one now and it is beautiful. There are two things about it you might want to know. First, it is thicker than an Ike dollar which is thicker than a Morgan... this doesn't bother me but I thought Id warn you. (EDIT: Actually I just compared them again and it is only very slightly thicker than a Morgan, and only because of the rim) Second, like any US replica it must represent itself as a replica and therefore on the reverse of the coin the word COPY appears. If you are interested in this the website is:
http://koinpro.tripod.com/ReproListUpdated.htm

The replica exists in a limited quantity of fewer than 900 but I'm sure people aren't beating down his door.

Just thought I'd post my findings for you all, it has taken alot of research to come up with these. Maybe others have some info they could add about this issue.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
The Magic Methods website has some interesting oversized pennies you might be interested in, they are about 3/4 of the way down the page. They are less expensive also.

Ronnie

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cup.html
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
That's one pretty cool site, thanks Decker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Copper Dollar Solution (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL