We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - Miracle (Complete spoiler free review) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Iain1986
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Iain1986
Hi

So I got the chance to see Derren Brown perform his new tour Miracle this Thursday in Birmingham. Don't worry, I'm not going to reveal and review any specific tricks or effects, but thought some people might like to know a general review of how good or bad I personally felt the performance went.

TLDR; - Go see it. Its brilliant.

But then. I'm sure many of you have come to expect this.

However, his last show Infamous I felt lacked a certain "something". The effects at times seemed a bit lack luster, and the ending finally just a mishmash of ideas that didn't seem to go anywhere. So how does Miracle fair up?

Well. Its much more structured. It feels much more like Derren (and Andy) are back on form. The presentation is excellent. The projected images onto the walls that was seen in Infamous is back, but this time its used much more to aid in the presentation of various effects, and done very well.

The only gripe with that however, at times they project camera footage from the audience, but the projection is not onto a white wall, but instead wallpaper...which makes the grainy camera view quite hard to make out at times. Minor quibble though.

So the show itself. 2 halves like usual, and again 2 very different feelings (much like all his previous shows). The second half...well I can't say anything other than this is the core of "Miracle". In my view....it went on just a little too long for my liking, but its solid solid work. Finale wise...we're not on a par with Enigma here, or some of his earlier shows, but I felt the finale was much stronger than some of the previous shows like Svengali and especially Infamous. The finale was not disappointing, but not his best.

The first half is just good old classic "Derren" effects. All big predictions, one after the other, lots of audience participation. The first half is almost a show in and of itself. There was one weak point I felt involving a wine glass, but everything else was excellent....top "quality" stuff!

The shows on for 2 years, so there should be lots more days added in 2016 if most of the ones this year are sold out, but I highly highly recommend going to see it (as if you needed a recommendation anyway?). If, like me, you felt he was starting to dip a bit, if Infamous left you feeling a bit "meh" (and "meh" in Derren Brown live terms, so still a very good "meh"), then go see Miracle, it will completely restore your enthusiasm for his live shows.

Well done Derren, Andy and the team!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nice review just wish I could get to see it :-(
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4403 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Yes I missed his show in Dartford this year,it was my daughters 21 so we all had to celerate that,so next hopfefully I will get to see him.
tenchu
View Profile
Special user
Europe
961 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Thank you, Iain1986.

What about a more detailed review/description in Inner thoughts? Personally, I'd love it.

Mike
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1558 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
It's difficult to give a good review of Derrens shows, as he commonly asks his audiences to keep their lips tight regarding the shows, to prevent spoilers.
Anthony Kong
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Anthony Kong
I saw the show when I was in England for a convention (STIMF in case you are wondering). It was a great week, I started the week by watching awesome people like Luke Jermay perform and lecture and ended with Derren's new show miracle. I also saw Infamous last year and it was wonderful. For me miracle is completely different, I got to see a side of Derren that is rather rare. Just like Iain1986 said the first half and the second half were vastly different. The thing I would say that this show is more poetic and inspiring compared to his previous shows, but personally I felt some of the effects were not as strong as his previous ones, and the finale was not as good as I imagined. However, for me the main "thing" in the second part was worth the price of the ticket alone. Again this show is very different in my opinion compared to his previous shows. He aimed to inspire rather than amaze, which he did, I felt kinda great after watching it. Derren is such a great entertainer, he gave hope to live magic entertainment. Go see it if you have the chance!!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Yeah, it would totally ruin the show for me if I were told in advance that DB succeeds in divining a selected number.

Does anybody else in any branch of entertainment make such a request?

Oh, by the way - Hamlet dies in the end.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote:
Yeah, it would totally ruin the show for me if I were told in advance that DB succeeds in divining a selected number.

Does anybody else in any branch of entertainment make such a request?

Oh, by the way - Hamlet dies in the end.

Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1780 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Just back from the show tonight in Glasgow and thought it was good but not great.
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Bye, bye after
500 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
Seen it a few weeks ago when I was in Woking near London and did enjoy it.
I do not have any other reference material regarding his theaterwork.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Here is the link in case someone didn't watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF0GDe-aUJk

Does anybody know the music that starts from 1:04: 00 ? MIRACLE-ous Smile !
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
I saw the version of TV and I thought it was very very good. I especially loved the "coin snatching" which as far as I can tell, used only psychology (except for the kicker at the end, maybe).

I thought his full engagement in the faith healing premise (even though the audience knew that he didn't really mean it) worked better than his half engagement / half denial approach to mediumship in his previous show. Very interesting show executed flawlessly.
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Yeah, the coin snatching was a fun effect that (as you say) uses only psychological suggestion but for the end, and really showed Derren's strength as a performer. Even though it wasn't a mind blowing, how-is-that-possible type effect, it was quite entertaining. It was a good reminder to me that not every effect has to be some impossible, logic-defying performance to be a strong part of the routine. A much more pedestrian effect performed flawlessly--with nice scripting that ranges from humor to philosophy--can be a high point when delivered like that.
January
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of January
Here is the coin snatching effect if anyone didn't feel like digging through the full performance and wanted to take a look:

jsereb
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of jsereb
This is now on Netflix.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - Miracle (Complete spoiler free review) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL