The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I have become a "cyber friend" of Atlas Brookings, so I admit that this post is not entirely objective, but I want to say that Atlas' Penguin Live Lecture last night was very good.

If you want to learn the RIGHT way to use "br***hing a***grams" to do propless mentalism effects, this is for you.

I realize that some people think that a***grams require too much talking, so this is not for everyone.

But if you want to learn how to do mentalism effects that rely solely on some words in your head, check this out!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Yep I agree a fun change of pace. I wouldn't do a whole set propless but would definitely add a few of these.
There is no holy grail!
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Yep I agree a fun change of pace. I wouldn't do a whole set propless but would definitely add a few of these.

As Atlas mentioned during his lecture last night, these are NOT the only kind of effects he does, they are just part of his act.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Love the superhero routine!
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
I've never watched one of these before but I definitely plan to spring for this one.

CT
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I'm only 30 minutes into this one and the Superhero routine is worth the price for me! Thanks for sharing this Atlas Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I am only about 55 minutes in & it's pretty darn great! Has anyone been able to get the website Atlas mentions to grab the PDF's to work? Maybe he said the address wrong or maybe he has to upload said website? If anyone has any idea about this feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Nathan just downloaded some PDFs from the Penguin account links, is this what you mean?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1371 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
He said the pdf material would be up by April 15th. Maybe it's not there yet.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
See! That's why you watch the WHOLE thing before asking a dumb question! My bad! Thanks guys!

Nathan
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I have to say that the lecture is more or less clustered in one direction. Considering the acclaim Atlas has won through his Train Tracking and the fact that he couldn't share or demonstrate that very "thing", the lecture isn't that great IMHO.

Even if the lecture is titled propless mentalism, I don't think the subject is approached as a whole. Most part of the lecture is built around anagrams. The fresh takes are great, but maybe it's not discussed in (that much) depth.

Cheers,
Mike
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
These reviews seem to only make this more confusing to those still on the fence. Many that we don't know well or whose opinions we may not trust or be familiar with may seem to rave, yet others may have an opposing view and disappointment.

I really think this is why after the interview, Penguin should have a edited video of an overview or highlights from the lecture (of course not giving away all of the goods) to let us see the style, personality, tone and overview of some of the content, effects, topics and ratio of stage vs. closeup, and type of content (cards/no cards, bending, roulette), etc. so we can actually make our own decision based on our interpretation of the actual lecture. I really think Penguin is missing the mark on not using or utilizing such a video to create a strong after-lecture campaign targeted to those that were unable to be there live or are still unsure about the lecture or person, choosing to take a wait and see approach as to what the reviews are before making their decision.

I mean this for all lectures, not just Atlas here. This would allow those to have a better idea of what it is so they can make a more informed and educated decision, and yet curtail those that spend the money and for whatever reason become disappointed. If this could help many more to make a comfortable decision and reduce or eliminate unsatisfied customers, it seems like a win, win idea and format to me.

As someone who has been disappointed about equally as much as pleased over these lectures in the past year, this could be very helpful and great customer service.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, mikelsc wrote:
I have to say that the lecture is more or less clustered in one direction. Considering the acclaim Atlas has won through his Train Tracking and the fact that he couldn't share or demonstrate that very "thing", the lecture isn't that great IMHO.

Even if the lecture is titled propless mentalism, I don't think the subject is approached as a whole. Most part of the lecture is built around anagrams. The fresh takes are great, but maybe it's not discussed in (that much) depth.

Cheers,
Mike

Train Tracking really IS as amazing as the hype claims, but there is no point in Atlas performing it since the book is no longer available.

Those of us who own the book are very happy that the method has remained a closely guarded secret.

And the lecture was not intended to cover ALL kinds of "prop-less mentalism," it focuses on one specific type of effect for which Atlas is well known.

See his e-books (also available at Penguin) "The Real Thing" and "The Prodigal" for more info.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...it focuses on atlas' treatment of a technique that many hate, as well as a couple of propless ways of doing a truth/liar game, and a murder mystery game... all of these shows you how it can be done, but more so, how it SHOULD be done...i would say I've never seen anyone else handle this technique as eloquently or as naturally as Atlas did...about an hour and forty minutes of performance and explanations - then the rest as a discussion...2hr 40mins overall...

so a 'live' mini-treatise on the subject...everything got covered, and everything looked natural...i can see the murder mystery and the truth/lie games playing very well on stage...and it all works as well for close-up, parlour (however you define that these days), stage...

i hate the main technique, because my brain doesn't really work that way - but! I have a set up and a presentational angle that means I can now use one of these effects on my own terms...

as for the discussion, Atlas made a very good point about passion, and about how much you "want it"...i wish more people felt this way...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Gairloch
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
11 Posts

Profile of Gairloch
Fantastic lecture from Mr Brookings. As Steve mentioned as train tracking was a limited release and Atlas promised to those who purchased there would be no reprints or further release of the method, so those fortunate few have all the workings and it is a thing of beauty. If you bump into Atlas or for that matter myself either of us would be more than happy to show you the miracle in person. I've talked with Atlas about it on many occasions and we both agree that no it isn't THE answer to the holy grail of performance, but it's god *** close and good luck to anyone who can get any closer.

As for the lecture itself, no the full philosophy of propels wasn't covered, but that could be a lecture in upon itself. What I expect most people will take from the lecture and as Atlas said himself, is to have an arsenal of incredible effects in your 'pocket' at all times, so if someone says "hey can you show us something", whether that's after a show or just in the street you have something you can perform there and then and you are always set up to go, and produce a miracle at that.

As Clel-mentalist said you wouldn't do a whole set of propless performance but there are certainly routines that you can add into your current repertoire to strengthen those routines. You could argue for and against for the use of propless on the whole. Used well and in the right circumstances it can add a hell of a lot to your routines.

As with all lectures people WILL take something from this lecture and others will take more. Atlas performs the material as he does in real life, this is working material he is demonstrating. But he performs it in his way it's up to the rest of us to figure out how we take his ideas and make them our own.

Can't recommend his works enough.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
He said the pdf material would be up by April 15th. Maybe it's not there yet.

The PDF is available now from Penguin with the video download.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Can anyone tell me how many of the effects taught are language dependent?

Thank you,
Adrien.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, mikelsc wrote:

Cheers,
Mike

He definitely held his best stuff back. The PA stuff was standard and has been covered by many mentalists. Maven is the best at this IMHO. Thompson also played a big role in Atlas' thinking.

Train Tracking is good however he chose not to go into it here. I guess it remains a closely guarded secret for those of us who own it. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I've never seen this method look so real, not by anyone. I thought it was fantastic and and the routines werenso well crafted. Cheers Atlas.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Seeing this lecture confirmed to me just how powerful propless mentalism can be...so much more than any trick involving a deck of playing cards!

I highly recommend this lecture.

Regards,
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL