The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hello everyone, as a thanks for all the support and kindness directed toward my Penguin Live lecture (and as a way to demonstrate for free the type of material you'll find there) I've decided to share my approach to Rock, Paper, Scissors.

While I'm bizarrely known for being able to handle complex and intricate mental feats, let me assure you that this is laughably, ridiculously simple. The routine is entertaining, and the workings are completely invisible.

I feel like this is a method without compromise.

And it is free. I'm giving it away.

No catch.

Just a way to say thanks for everything.

The link is held in Inner Thoughts here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

If you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything. But I think you will.

I'll leave it on here for a week or two and then pull the link.

Best,

Atlas
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
This piece is brilliant, well worth checking out. Thanks Atlas!!

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Thanks Phill, pleased you liked it.

Best,

Atlas
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
TBH it feels like a legit hustle, it's brilliant. You are kind of self-effacing about being able to manage huge amounts of complex stuff, but your stuff shines because you think about it for longer than most people would. Lots of long baths?

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Lol. I'm in one now!

I don't know that I think about it longer, but I always try to approach things and look at problems from lots of different angles, and I've found that when I do that, there's usually a route toward what I want to achieve.

Looking forward to your Penguin lecture, by the way!

Best,

Atlas
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, insight wrote:
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend...

Neither "we" nor you have shown any such thing. All you have shown is the ability to make overly broad and inaccurate generalizations, probably projecting your own inability to effectively use cards properly in mentalism.

I still eagerly await a link to a video of you performing in a professional setting so that we may all witness how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed.

But I agree that you have taken this thread entirely off track and am happy to hear that you would now like to return to the original topic without further passive aggressive trolling.

Regards,

Bob

Bob...thank you, and amen Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was from the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today.

As this thread was just resurrected, I was having a look over it again and don't recall reading this the first time through. This guess at my influences is wholly inaccurate.

My primary influences have been Larry Becker and Lee Earle - whose emphasis on creating an ENTERTAINING experience struck me early on - and Max Maven and Leo Boudreau, who impressed me with methods that were functionally invisible and whose operation often relied on a program being run in the mind of the performer and which was, as a result, inaccessible to an observer.

Maven's "Seak" or Boudreau's "Eight Dollar Mystery" are excellent examples of this type of effect. Maven's "Color" series is well known, but I always rated the "Lisp" series more highly as I preferred the methodologies he explored within. These types of methods were also, very frequently, direct and simple once understood. This meant that I could focus all my energy on making the routine entertaining and that further enhanced their appeal to me.

I am friendly with many European mentalists, but I only moved to the UK a few years ago. My roots are American and my development anchored in the States from about fifteen years ago.

I do think that when people first come to mentalism, it is important to study the field as broadly as possible as a wider sampling of material helps you to identify an approach that suits how you think and prefer to operate. From there, I think it is important to master the tools that seem to fit you best, identify their place within your character, and then create and innovate with them repeatedly until your style is definably unique and stands apart.

The above formula is one of the reasons that mentalism offers a richer experience than magic.

I cannot count how many times I have seen magicians, word for word, perform the same tricks. The same jokes, the same presentation, the same effect. They know that technical proficiency gets the job done and there is no need for them to inject anything of themselves into the show. In fact, it is often risky for them to do so. The way they express their character is not via their presentation, but through what turnkey effects they choose to perform. Consider the Bandana effect. A magician who performs it takes no risk. It is a crowd pleaser. But there is also no growth or innovation or depth to their performance.

Mentalism offers more.

And the tree of mentalism offers many different branches from which fruit can be plucked.

As far as this whole US v. UK mentalism debate that has popped up from time to time here: it is largely nonsense. I have operated and performed in both markets. My sense of humor has pleased both sets of audiences. People aren't that different. If they like YOU, then you'll do fine. The reason Derren did not conquer the US market had more to do with the fact that he was on cable channels than anything else. And while you look at and point to performers from decades past who did well in the States - let me point out that there was vastly less choice back then. There are more cable channels now than ever before. There are streaming, independent television options, there are more podcasts and radio shows than ever before. I believe that if Dunninger operated today, he'd have been no more than a footnote, so vast is the realm of broadcasting options now available. Derren's success in the UK was helped along tremendously by the fact that he was on mainstream channels. And as far as performers, UK performers are very similar to those in the US. I've seen them repeatedly. They use props on stage the same as we do in the US.

I do recognize that a number of people are passing off garbage unreliable and unworkable 'psychological' methods that are, unfortunately, being pitched as propless effects. But none of these offenders perform or have actually tested this material, and can't be said to be representative of UK performers as a whole. They are, by and large, taking advantage of those here who have more enthusiasm and trust than sense and are given magic beans in return. Each does his best to build his reputation and little pockets of friendship spring up amongst those with similar aims. Every few months, these wellsprings of 'creativity' offer a new and exciting product to the community that is endorsed by their little group of friends, who mercilessly bump the other's threads in a painfully obvious tit for tat exchange.

And so I sympathise with Mindpro's perspective - I just draw a line between the performers in the UK, and those here who have perpetuated this trend of offering nothing for something.

But we have similar offenders in the States.

Best,

Atlas
SilverMagician
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SilverMagician
I've performed his superhero routine at least once every day (no exaggerating...literally every day) for someone since I watched the lecture. People freak out.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What type of performances would these be?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2015, Mindpro wrote:

Awesome ones by the sound of it Smile

Sorry, couldn't resist making that joke.

Best,

Atlas
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2015, Mindpro wrote:

Yeah, these sound like some flouncy commie Yerp-ean type performances. Not respectable gun-totin' red-meat eatin' in-god-we-trust Murican performances, with all the scripts stolen from Bob Cassidy and the routines stolen from Bob Cassidy and the jokes stolen from Bob Cassidy. Smile
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
For anyone interested, the story at the end of the lecture happened ten years ago today! Time really flies!

Best,

Atlas
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
"I cannot count how many times I have seen magicians, word for word, perform the same tricks. The same jokes, the same presentation, the same effect. They know that technical proficiency gets the job done and there is no need for them to inject anything of themselves into the show. In fact, it is often risky for them to do so. The way they express their character is not via their presentation, but through what turnkey effects they choose to perform. Consider the Bandana effect. A magician who performs it takes no risk. It is a crowd pleaser. But there is also no growth or innovation or depth to their performance."

The same can be said about the majority of Mentalist though
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
If you're talking about people who are actually experienced performing mentalists, I disagree.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to all of the magicians who claim to be mentalists these days, you're right.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does the lecture come with a PDF?
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
If you're talking about people who are actually experienced performing mentalists, I disagree.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to all of the magicians who claim to be mentalists these days, you're right.

With all due respect Bob, I'm not. I've in the last couple of years been to 3 big name mentalist, not mental magic, mentalist, shows. They are often spoken about here in the Penny forum. What did they perform, commercially available products. Bare in mind I said, the majority, not all. Their showmanship was excellent but their routines were available, safe to perform, turnkey effects they choose to perform.
Now there is a level above the majority, but I was just responding to the very broad claim made above by Atlas, and of coarse it is just my opinion.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, takeachance wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:

With all due respect Bob, I'm not. I've in the last couple of years been to 3 big name mentalist, not mental magic, mentalist, shows. They are often spoken about here in the Penny forum. What did they perform, commercially available products. Bare in mind I said, the majority, not all. Their showmanship was excellent but their routines were available, safe to perform, turnkey effects they choose to perform.
Now there is a level above the majority, but I was just responding to the very broad claim made above by Atlas, and of coarse it is just my opinion.

I know of one of yours (I saw) I am sure that was using commercial products also.
Smile
Nerdy Wizard
View Profile
New user
Derby
86 Posts

Profile of Nerdy Wizard
Wow, this thread gets resurrected to share something interesting and in less than 24 hours we're back to arguing.

Hope your son had a fantastic birthday Atlas, and his 'Origin Story' will always be entertaining to hear.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Nerdy Wizard wrote:
Wow, this thread gets resurrected to share something interesting and in less than 24 hours we're back to arguing.

Hope your son had a fantastic birthday Atlas, and his 'Origin Story' will always be entertaining to hear.

LOL, really. I only wanted to know on Penguin if the PDF came with the lecture. Asking Penguin a question, you wait about a month or two for a reply.
Smile
Nerdy Wizard
View Profile
New user
Derby
86 Posts

Profile of Nerdy Wizard
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Nerdy Wizard wrote:

LOL, really. I only wanted to know on Penguin if the PDF came with the lecture. Asking Penguin a question, you wait about a month or two for a reply.
Smile

Well YOU'RE not arguging! =P My comments weren't aimed at you. Regarding the PDF, Penguin provides one that has MOST of what you need on there. There's an effect using vehicle brands which isn't included on the PDF.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL