The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
I really enjoy Atlas' thinking and I highly recommend this lecture.

However, I want to repeat my earlier statement that this is NOT for everyone.

If you don't like effects that require some memorization and "a lot of talking" you will probably not like this.

And yes, Atlas did not reveal his best stuff, but the effects he did demonstrate are well worth the $30 price of the lecture.

He even explained how you can use his techniques to develop similar effects of your own.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
498 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, Adrien Lochon wrote:
Can anyone tell me how many of the effects taught are language dependent?

Thank you,
Adrien.

Since nobody answered your question, I'll jump in here.

Almost all of the effects taught in the lecture are designed for English-speaking performers and audiences.

However, you could use Atlas' techniques to create similar effects in your own language once you understand the process, which I think is pretty well explained in the lecture.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
This lecture definitely was not for me. As noted above, the entire lecture covered basically one thing, anagrams (which I am just not a fan of ).

The problem with anagrams for me is that the spectator will always be put into a framed box of what they can think about (superhero, cars, candy, etc.) The revelation that follows for a thought like this seems focused very much on the side of being able to simply demonstrate a skill. If I were to take the time to read someone's mind, I would prefer to reveal information that was emotionally relevant to the spectator and had much more of a capacity to reveal further information about what that particular thought or memory says about a person.

The other thing that always bothered me with anagrams is the amount of work you have to put in to them to learn them well (to the point of not even having to think about it) is entirely too much for what little pay off you get. I would much rather spend my time perfecting my swami writing, or working on a memory demonstration, but that's just me.

As for Insight's comment on how much more powerful this is because it's prop less than any other thing using cards, I would kindly disagree with that. Just because something is prop less does not mean that is it more powerful. Yes it's nice to have prop less things that you can perform every now and then, but I feel people are getting carried away with the whole "completely prop less, billetless, etc." thing.

There's nothing wrong with props, and I don't think that the spectator cares for one minute over the fact that this happened "only in ours minds, no paper or pencil was used".

Just my humble thoughts.

All the best,
Matthew
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I am a huge Atlas fan and love and own virtually everything he has put out. I still found value in this.

Seeing Atlas perform live made me want to learn those effects even more. In just one night, I leaned two of the a********s taught.

One Anag in particular REALLY sells the idea of there being no limitations. There's not a specific category. They think of a bunch of words and then ultimately decide on one! This couldn't seem fairer. I don't see how anyone who watches this couldn't feel inspired to learn at least one Anag. Maye it's because of the muted responses the volunteers had because they were all magicians. On lay people, this will be about as close to real mind reading as you could get.

There was also an effect similar to thought association card but without the cards. I really digged that one. I also loved the murder mystery routine.

I believe I will be trying out 2 of the Anags in a walk around gig I have this weekend. I may even try the murder mystery and the TAC-esque effect as well.

Honestly, I don't know how someone couldn't like this lecture. I guess they are just scared by the work involved. The mild effort is ABSOLUTELY worth the reward. Perhaps I will report back after my gig and discuss the reactions and etc.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9868 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was form the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today. I too am not sure this would be for me.
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
The media swarmed over my last blindfold drive... I ran over
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

I guess they are just scared by the work involved.

That's a very bad guess.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was form the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today. I too am not sure this would be for me.

don't buy it, you've got a bias...save your money for someone who lives in the States! 😃

If everyone lectured the same as everyone else, it wouldn't be as fun or as interesting...

I think people believe that propless is the easiest as it contains "nothing", then when they try it, they lose their way and panic...then it becomes 20 questions...

With atlas,there is a structure to everything he performed, he made statements not guesses...and it came across as natural and low key...if you don't want to learn realistic, workable material that only requires your brain cells, then don't buy it...to do this well and as cleanly as atlas does will take dedication and energy...

Its an alternative, atlas isn't an advocate of pure propless performances, which he says in his interview...

One of his routines gave me an idea for a nice design dupe which allows me to not bother with any special items...
I've asked to be banned
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
I think the lecture was worth my money because I got a chance to see how anagr77s should be performed. The subtleties about adding a process context, giving statements and not questions (as IAIN noted), and how to handle no's was priceless. Not trying to convince anyone to perform BA's, but the lecture was very helpful to me.

I hope this doesn't devolve into some type of propless vs. non-propless(?) debate. I have a hard time understanding why this debate even happens. Why would someone box themselves into one or the other? Each has its place and time depending on your style and character. Why do we have to choose a side?

If you want to see a master (I don't think that is hyperbole here) demonstrate some powerful mentalism with just his brain, I would find it hard to believe you won't learn something useful from this lecture. Highly recommended here! Smile
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9868 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Just out of curiosity, when did having or using props become a bad thing? In reality every person we use in our shows is a prop to some extent so the concept of "propless" is kind of silly anyhow. Plus props can greatly add to a performance and theatrical environment, credibility and legitimacy especially when creating theatrical or perceptive value to a paying customer.

Perhaps this should warrant it's own thread.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
No idea, I certainly use props, atlas himself says during the lecture that he uses props...ita a very, very small percentage of people who like to go fully propless...and even fewer who perform it well...

If you change the idea of propless to "a treatise on certain classic mentalism techniques that involve memory" you would have a more positive view...atlas' lecture was that treatise...
I've asked to be banned
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9868 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Were there any memory work, effects or approaches other than ana&*^#m?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I was struggling to explain it without revealing it!

A*****ms, Leo bodreau style applications, it just gets put under the term propless cos its a trendy term...

Superheroes, cars, murder mystery, truth/liar, and a few other bits...

If you are lumping in what atlas taught, with stuff by Pete turner or Fraser parker, then that's off the mark...

The technique atlas demos and teaches are in some classic mentalism booklets...its just that you can see it done live, with all the nuances that atlas has added...

These are surefire effects if you follow the rules!
I've asked to be banned
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, IAIN wrote:
No idea, I certainly use props, atlas himself says during the lecture that he uses props...ita a very, very small percentage of people who like to go fully propless...and even fewer who perform it well...

If you change the idea of propless to "a treatise on certain classic mentalism techniques that involve memory" you would have a more positive view...atlas' lecture was that treatise...

I like that. I might tweak that to memory and logic.

Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Rod Irroc wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

I guess they are just scared by the work involved.

That's a very bad guess.

Fair enough! Smile I never have been one to cold read well. I would love to hear your thoughts on why.

I have already performed both Anags, the Murder Mystery routine, and the TAC-esque routines today at school. So far, they have all gone over extremely well.

As a matter of fact, one of my good friends I always perform for was completely blown away when I named the superhero he was thinking of. He was very impressed and shocked. I think it impressed him so much because he was expecting a process and there wasn't. He never wrote anything down, never said anything out loud, he just thought of a superhero and I read his mind and told him what it was.

This is all very good stuff that I believe shouldn't be overlooked. Actually.. Please overlook it so there are less people performing it!!
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

This is all very good stuff that I believe shouldn't be overlooked. Actually.. Please overlook it so there are less people performing it!!

Deal! Smile
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1325 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Atlas is a genius, a really natural performer and incredibly well versed at all aspects of mentalism (not just propless).

Atlas is not an advocate for propless mentalism - In-fact I don't think I have met one mentalist that is an advocate for it (myself included).

Why does it have to become a U.K vs U.S mentalism debate? - Wasn't it Dunninger who said "Everytime you take a prop out, your price goes down".

Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't Dunninger from the U.S?

I am not saying I agree with that sentiment - before anyone thinks I am saying that there is no place for props in mentalism. I have said it before, every single one of us has a different view on how things should be performed regardless of where we are from. I am just pointing out that people long before 'us' had difference in opinion too and I am sure they will long after us.

If anyone thinks An^****s are restrictive, I can think of at least 5 (straight off of the top of my head) ways to get someone to say that THEY (that is the key term) would like me to think of a Disney film - Leading me to be able to say "So out of every category area you could have had me guess things from you would like me to guess a Disney film? You sure you don't want to change to.. the name of a friend or a pin code, a drawing? - it really doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable".

If they choose the category of the thing that you are going to guess how would they ever expect it to be anything but their choice?

ANY piece of mentalism is as restrictive as you make it.

Back to the topic at hand - This is about Atlas' Penguin lecture.

If you have seen Atlas lecture, you have a right to have an opinion on the material and the way Atlas performs/ what he is performing. If you are coming on here to slay someone before you have seen a look in (as that is all these lectures are) into some of the material a performer chooses to share then your opinion counts for nothing.

Interestingly, if your opinion counts for nothing and is biased in this context - How are we supposed to take it serious in any other.

Atlas you were incredible.

Pete x
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

Deal! Smile

Mr. Chavis, could you please explain further? What I love about many posters here is that while they may not like this or that or feel this way or that, they put out a reasoned and logical explanation why they feel that way. It could be that Maddy was indeed wrong, and obviously it is everyone's right to disagree with any poster here. Would you explain why his guess was wrong or why it is a good 'deal' for you to pass it up?

I just think it would be valuable if you would respond and add to the conversation about the lecture so that people can either accept your thinking, add to it, or rebut it. And considering this is a thread about Atlas's lecture and I see you are interested in the conversation, your reasoning would be welcome and appreciated by all in making a determination of whether to purchase the lecture themselves.

Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
To be clear on my position because I do not want to be mixed into a catagory that can be A#*%=#ed... and things get easily twisted on this forum.

I'm pro UK and pro USA. Smile

Certainly not trying to slay Atlas nor have an opinion on him at all other than he seems a Gentleman to me.

Not saying you lumped me in with the direction of your post, Pete, but want to be sure we are both clear. I simply do not care for a *#_bla bla and it's not because I'm "scared to put in the work." I have zero interest in IT. Nothing to do with Atlas and his lecture.
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, RedDevil wrote:

Would you explain why his guess was wrong or why it is a good 'deal' for you to pass it up?

Sure, I'll explain both. It was wrong (for me) simply because I am NOT scared to put in the work. It is a good deal for me to pass it up because I have zero interest in a*ag*a*s.

Quote:
I just think it would be valuable if you would respond and add to the conversation about the lecture so that people can either accept your thinking, add to it, or rebut it.

Well thank you...
If I had watched the lecture I would offer you my thoughts. Since I HAVE NOT watched it, I have no thoughts to offer you and is why I did not make any comment on the lecture.

Quote:
And considering this is a thread about Atlas's lecture and I see you are interested in the conversation, your reasoning would be welcome and appreciated by all in making a determination of whether to purchase the lecture themselves.

My comment was a disagreement with Maddy (does not mean one is scared to put in the work when you simply do not care for something). You are right, this is a thread about Atlas and his lecture and my disagreement with one member is taking away from that. Apologies.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:

Sure, I'll explain both. It was wrong (for me) simply because I am NOT scared to put in the work. It is a good deal for me to pass it up because I have zero interest in a*ag*a*s.

May I ask WHY you have zero interest in them? You did see the lecture, correct? I'm not trying to debate right or wrong opinions by any means. I am just genuinely interested in why you have no interest in performing one if it doesn't have to do with the memory/work involved. To me, it's almost as close to real mind reading as you could get.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL