The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
[quote]On Apr 11, 2015, insight wrote:
the most intelligent minds in the audience need brain stimulation that comes from propless mentalism AND the powerful effects from atlas, looch, peter turner, etc.
[quote]

So that's where it comes from.

So I guess it never existed for generations before. Good to know the facts.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Would you believe that the very first time I performed this the person thought of Aqua Man? lol

the superhero BA is a lot of fun. I've only performed it 3x but have hit each time.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You are not alone. There are thousands of magicians across the country who slip in mindreading into their gigs while doing magic tricks with cards. I love performing atlas' effects that are propless like those covered in the lecture and those not...like train tracking.

Regards,
Mike


Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Well Mike, I wasn't doing mentalism with cards. I was doing card tricks. Maybe that's why he thought I was doing card tricks Smile I got hired to do magic at the gig. I just try to slip some mind reading into all my gigs.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Good, I wasn't sure where you stood on the use of cards in mentalism or your opinion on the merits of train tracking until this post. Glad that I now know your view on those topics.

Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, insight wrote:
You are not alone. There are thousands of magicians across the country who slip in mindreading into their gigs while doing magic tricks with cards. I love performing atlas' effects that are propless like those covered in the lecture and those not...like train tracking.

Regards,
Mike


Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Well Mike, I wasn't doing mentalism with cards. I was doing card tricks. Maybe that's why he thought I was doing card tricks Smile I got hired to do magic at the gig. I just try to slip some mind reading into all my gigs.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So does TT use cards?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
So does TT use cards?



No. Just two minds.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Phew!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
And there my friends lies the problem with mentalism today.

I started out doing magic - only magic. I now only do mentalism. However, with soo many magicians jumping from card tricks to mind reading , all using mentalism methods - it is going to become harder and harder to get audiences to take mentalism seriously. Wish the magicians would just stick to their magic and leave mind reading alone! If you must, at least do mental magic and not some hard hitting mentalism!
There is no holy grail!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more. And it's the guys that complain when we state this, that are the ones that are obviously doing it. Glad to hear someone else step up and say it finally. There is a difference between magic and mentalism, and if you don't understand it you're a magician, simple really.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Haha love the comments but I respectfully disagree. I perform full out Mentalism shows very often. I also do straight magic shows very often. I perform magic on a daily basis up close. I also perform mentalism on a daily basis up close.

I will admit, I don't claim to be a real mind reader, so I don't care to mix it into magic. If anything, the mentalism strengthens the magic and vice versa. I do not believe it is a bad thing at all to mix the two as long as it's in the right conditions and the right place.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend...let's get back to the topic intended for this thread...this lecture was incredible and I highly recommend it to those who like to create an impact using ONLY the mind. Yes, no cards!

Regards,
Mike
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, insight wrote:
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend...


Neither "we" nor you have shown any such thing. All you have shown is the ability to make overly broad and inaccurate generalizations, probably projecting your own inability to effectively use cards properly in mentalism.

I still eagerly await a link to a video of you performing in a professional setting so that we may all witness how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed.

But I agree that you have taken this thread entirely off track and am happy to hear that you would now like to return to the original topic without further passive aggressive trolling.

Regards,

Bob
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
I will admit, I don't claim to be a real mind reader, so I don't care to mix it into magic. If anything, the mentalism strengthens the magic and vice versa.



Yeah, but this could very well be the most disturbing of all. As I said...
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Just imagine doing ambitious card then suddenly doing mind reading with cards. The first effect weakens the second by giving spectators the opportunity to assume great skill with cards and sleight of hand.

Imho, the only time you can mix magic and mentalism in the same show is when you dress your magic up as mentalism and use pieces that do not have any overt show off sleight of hand involved. Otherwise, keep it completely separate.
There is no holy grail!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1736 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Ambitious card has been a staple of my mentalism act for years. Yes I'm serious and it comes across as a strong piece of mind control.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Bob, I literally wrote "card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism". You literally responded by writing "neither we nor you have shown any such thing". I never thought you would think a mentalist should perform what the audience perceives as card tricks. The reason why I love Atlas' stuff is that it is never perceived as just another card trick. For an example of how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed, I encourage everyone to purchase this lecture and see exactly how.

By the way, do you have any thoughts on this lecture that you would like to share?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2015, insight wrote:
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend...


Neither "we" nor you have shown any such thing. All you have shown is the ability to make overly broad and inaccurate generalizations, probably projecting your own inability to effectively use cards properly in mentalism.

I still eagerly await a link to a video of you performing in a professional setting so that we may all witness how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed.

But I agree that you have taken this thread entirely off track and am happy to hear that you would now like to return to the original topic without further passive aggressive trolling.

Regards,

Bob
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Mike, at the risk of belaboring this absurdity, I'm curious how you integrate into your interesting worldview something like the fact that Atlas himself sells something called "The Crusade -- A Mindreader's ACAAN." Is this effect, which Atlas expressly characterizes as "an impossible and satisfying piece of mind reading" rather than magic, a sad Achilles heel on the part of Atlas, or does it in any way shake your sublime confidence in the correctness of your own views in this area?
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Mike didn't watch the lecture. In his chat with Dan at the end, Atlas discussed his plans to release his version of a memorized deck. Yet here we are again in another hijacked thread that Mike is using to gain notoriety for himself by the methods you see above. It won't be the last time.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I think Mike's point lies in the definition of "card trick". Using playing cards to help you read minds is fine as long as it is not perceived as a "card trick", i.e., a trick achieved with sleigh-of-hand.

If that's the point he is trying to make, I agree with him.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Many of us believe that any time you bring out a deck of cards to a lay audience they immediately think of "card trick." Definition isn't involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL