The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
My thoughts on the fusion of magic and mentalism was, is, and always will be: Do what works for YOU.

For me and the venues I work, blending magic and mentalism does not do either magic or mentalism a disservice. I am a magician, mentalist, and hypnotist. I MUST mix magic and mentalism at some of my venues because of perceived notation of "mind-reading" and "hypnotism."

There are factors that I'm sure many don't understand because they don't have to leap over these boundaries on a day to day basis, however because of my location, I have found what works for me. I'm not trying to tell everyone to incorporate card magic into their mentalism (and not just because I'm sure some people's card sleights are less than impressive.) I will also not change what works for me because it DOESN'T work for someone else. There are various environmental factors that will change what we as humans feel comfortable with. To each his own. There isn't a "right" or a "wrong." Just a "good" and a "bad."

How do I know it works for me? Easy. I keep getting re-booked. Often times, I am told later that I was the hit of the event, and people were asking how soon I would be back. I'm not saying this to brag; I know these are common responses that I'm sure many of you get. I say this to prove my point: It works for me. If my customers are happy and their customers are happy, I'm happy and see no need to change.

Now, let us PLEASE get this train back on its tracks (slight pun intended.)
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
So, to get back on track... Can someone tell us more about the non-BA effects?

I'd like to get this lecture, but as a non-english performer, specific BAs wouldn't work for me (although, from what I've read, Atlas' theory on BAs is certainly worth studying).

Thank you!
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
537 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Patrick Redford wrote:
Ambitious card has been a staple of my mentalism act for years. Yes I'm serious and it comes across as a strong piece of mind control.

I'm assuming this has its root in Glemme? If so, it is nothing but pure mentalism. Your work on this principle for the Penguin Lecture was also very strong. I suppose it truly does depend on how it is presented.

Now, if I could find a mentalist use for sponge balls...hmmm.... Which hand?

And just so I don't add to the derailing of this thread, I am eager to see what Mr. Brookings offers in his lecture as it looks promising.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Back to our original broadcast...This was a fantastic lecture !!

I've used Doug Dyments Sign Language for years and I'm more than comfortable with the method Atlas uses. The highlight of this lecture for me was the 'process' from which he uses for getting to the thought of words from the spectators point of view. I thought this alone was worth the investment. He also shows you the right way and wrong way to handle misses or a complete fail, which is intrinsic to this type of work. Atlas is very passionate about this type of mentalism, which is necessary to perform it well. You have to be intimate with your BA's of choice if you want them to look real.

As far as the routines go, here is my review;

CoudNine - Strong routine but not for me. The method uses some math and memory technique. That being said, it has a great presentational hook and I may revisit it. This is non-BA routine.

Comicle – This is my favorite. It's not that complex and will be the first one I test run.

Disney Dynamite – A very complex BA from my standpoint. This one is will take some time and balls.

Forward Thinking – This is my second favorite. I love the presentational hook and it's within my grasp.

Imbalanced – A lie detector routine using four people. This seems to be everyone's fav. I really like it, great presentational hook. I still need to wrap my head around how it works, lol,but don't let that scare you because I'm not that bright. This is also a non-BA routine.

After seeing his work, I sincerely regret not getting 'Train Tracking' but feel the routines given here are a very nice constellation prize Smile

Highly Recommended.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Sorry Patrick forgot about your presentation of ambitious card. However, my point was not about the actual effect. More, how one presents it. Going from a magic trick to mentalism cannot ever work. If you are going to do a magic trick, it needs to be carefully presented as real.

If you work as a magician, memtalist and hypnotist - I'm sure the material goes down great, but everything you do will be thought of as clever magic tricks. You can never have the same affect on people as someone who keeps it pure. In fact, you are actually hurting mentalism as a whole. But hey, that's the world today - do whatever you can for yourself and forget about anyone else!
There is no holy grail!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I attended Looch's great second lecture in Columbus on Sunday. I arrived early and was pleasantly surprised to see Atlas Brookings was also there as he and Looch were filming other things for Penguin all week. We got to talking (he is very friendly and approachable). I of course asked to be Train Tracked. I thought of "football" and over the course of a very natural conversation he revealed not only the word, but everything else I was asked to think about in order for him to "understand the way I think". I also had the opportunity to watch him do it to someone else with the same amazing results.

I don't own Train Tracking but I have studied his other work so I understand at some level what is going on. He made the same point to Dan in his lecture, that this is the natural evolution of his work. That being said it was stunning to have it done to me. After all - I had a free choice of any word!
Lakewood, Ohio
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, j100taylor wrote:
I thought of "football" and over the course of a very natural conversation he revealed not only the word, but everything else I was asked to think about in order for him to "understand the way I think".

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, jbadman wrote:
I'll be as vague as everyone else, out of respect for his method and concept but suffice to say I thought of a word ('Football') and he nailed it as well as several others.

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, MagicAtlas wrote:
I asked them to then imagine spinning the dice in their mind and seeing it turn into a football.

Hmm...
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Yep. That's the method. They have to think of the word "football".
Lakewood, Ohio
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1213 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Rofl...dang...the gig is up. We're going to have to change it to soccer now if we want the train to keep going.
RedDevil's 5th Book of Close-Up Mentalism is here...
Pre-Order "FAUXLOGICAL" at www.reddevilmentalism.com

F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1290 Posts

Profile of Robb
Ii haven't watched the lecture but I will... Atlas is making a name for himself in our little world so I must check him out. Even though I never use you know what, it will be interesting to me to see someone perform them well. I'm still waiting to see what TT is all about but I think I'm going to be waiting a long time on that one! I also think it's important that we all support what Penguin is doing especially when they bring mentalists in.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1653 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Atlas shared some of the content with me prior to the lecture and it confirmed what I already know which is that he is a strange kind of genius. I'm looking forward to seeing the actual lecture.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
This is, as expected and advertised, an amazing lecture. Really great to see the master actually doing this stuff in person. Really fun to watch. Plus, Brookings just seems like such a down to Earth guy. Great stuff.

P.S. My only question has to do with Brookings's interesting spoken accent. I have no ear for these, but he almost seems to have a British accent to me. Notwithstanding his current residence, he's from the U.S., right?

P.P.S. A ten-minute memorized deck??? I thought that six-hour deck was supposed to be pushing the limits. I was all set to invest the work in Joyal -- literally just picked it up this past week -- and now this happens.

P.P.P.S. Remarkable childbirth anecdote as a closer!
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
491 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, CThomas wrote:

P.S. My only question has to do with Brookings's interesting spoken accent. I have no ear for these, but he almost seems to have a British accent to me. Notwithstanding his current residence, he's from the U.S., right?

Ah Ha!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

A couple months ago, I told Atlas that he had picked up a little British accent after living in the UK for 1.5 years but he laughed me off.

You see Atlas, they're getting to you! Smile

Atlas is originally from right here in Seattle.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I'm back home in the UK and now that I am in front of a computer, it is much simpler to type, so I thought I'd take a moment to thank all those who have taken the time to tune in to this lecture and address some of the things that have been said in this thread.

First of all - no, I don't sound like I have an accent. To quote Luke in 'Empire', "That's not true... That's IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Honestly though, I'm very pleased to see all the feedback here. I must admit though that I was surprised that BA's were the big methodology taken away from this lecture. I incorporated math-based methods, BA's, Free Associations, Logic puzzles, and Though Channels - but BA's appear to be what people have focused on. I think that might because they look so very much like real mind reading.

When I wrote 'The Prodigal' several years ago, I was advocating for the use of BA's and it seems like after seeing them done in this lecture, a lot of people are now considering using them. I think that is pretty cool. I wanted to take a moment and promise that there is nothing special about me, they really are just that easy to use - and you have them with you everywhere you go.

To the gentleman who was unhappy that Train Tracking wasn't addressed in the lecture: You have my apologies. I'm not sure why you thought it would be included, but I'm sorry to have disappointed in that respect. To be fair, I didn't list it in the lecture description, and I've elsewhere stated that I wouldn't perform it in any way that I didn't have complete control of its broadcast rights. But, as others can attest, if we ever get the chance to shake hands, I'd be happy to perform it for you.

Thanks again to everyone who tuned in.

Best,

Atlas
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Having now watched the entire lecture, I'll say one thing.

I wouldn't like to play Hangman with Atlas.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1290 Posts

Profile of Robb
I really liked Atlas, but BA's are not for me. I played the comic routine (performance segment only) for my wife... She *immediately* figured out the method and this is with someone who has mastered the method. FYI, I *never* use BA's so she had no familiarity with the method.

If I'm being honest, I can't convince myself that BA's would work for anyone with slightly above average intelligence. Such methods always feel like word (or math) puzzles to me, no matter how well disguised they are. Also, as Atlas himself said, they sort of lock you into performing in a certain mode so as to be consistent in presentation and I don't like that either.

I respect the work that Atlas has done on these methods and I am sure he gets good results with them in his performances but they don't click with me. Never have and pretty sure they never will. And, as Atlas said, you have to believe in a method and it has to feel natural to you for it to work. I do some forces on stage that I'm certain would never work for other performers but feel perfectly natural to me.

The stuff Atlas said while talking with Dan was great. I agree with him wholeheartedly about the thoughts on performing.

So, great lecture in general, but no method/presentations I could use. Obviously lots of other people feel differently which is great.
Sean McCarthy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland.
25 Posts

Profile of Sean McCarthy
I for one really enjoyed this lecture. I especially liked the murder game as I have the perfect place for it in my set. As for the BA's that others are focusing on, although guessing comic book characters or disney movies doesn't suit my style, it has inspired me to work with the method and to explore the method further. Overall, I thought the lecture was excellent and I would reccommend it to anyone who is interested in learning convincing propless mentalism.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl.
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Seems as thought this is The Beatles performing the Rubber Soul album on tour the day after they released Sgt. Pepper's. Isn't there a big elephant in that room with the words TRAIN TRACKING printed on it?
This is mostly The Prodigal on video.
CThomas
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of CThomas
Hey, Atlas. Is the new memorized deck still in the cards (pun intended) for the near future? Man, I want that!

CT
John Jerde
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of John Jerde
Loved this lecture and I ended up picking up all 3 of his books because of It. I really enjoy his style and structure.

Basically same price from penguin but I enjoy actually have a physical copy already put together.

Pick up his work here. http://www.atlasmentalism.com/secrets.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture (66 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL