The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Check your tail lights (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
Does it have to be an offence for a cop to stop you and say "The reason I stopped you is your brake light is out,"?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, tommy wrote:
"The reason I stopped you is your brake light is out," Slager says.

Thanks.

Of course, now that begs the question: was the light really out?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ing.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
In this video the cop is seen walking to the car and his hand touches a light.

Why, I don’t know: maybe to feel if it is warm or broke perhaps?

He says:

“The reason for the stop is your third brake light is out.”

I don’t know what “third brake light” means?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5vUVhGhGoA

The driver does not dispute that his break light is out.

Did the cop really stop him or did he simply follow him into the car parts place?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, tommy wrote:He says:

“The reason for the stop is your third brake light is out.”

Could he have said, "The reason for the stop is, you -urd, brake light out!"
with that assumed attitude, you could understand the shooting.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'd have to see the back of his car to see if there was a three bulb brake light set up. I think "you -urd" is stretching it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
In the latest video released (car police cam) it seems that Scott just purchased the car or at lest said he did and has no insurance or proof of ownership. I am not sure if he even had a acuuent license. When the officer went back to patrol car Scott got out of his car and was told to get back in his car which he did. However then he got again and started to flee at which time the officer shot him for no apparent reason other than he was running away. This is not a reason to use lethal force. If Scott had just committed a felony such as if he just shot someone or possibly even running away with a loaded firearm that may, and I say may, be a reason to shoot. However I am not even sure that it is justified then.

Seems like the officer had a problem with a black man just because he was black, and could not produce the proper forms of ID or insurance and then started to flee. Regardless this situation does not require deadly force. Not even close. The officer shot and killed a man who got the "fight or flight syndrome" and chose flight and it cost him his life, because an officer that did not follow police procedure but rather let his prejudices take over.

The officer acted with what I feel was racial prejudice and should be punished to the maximum the law allows. There is no way Scott should be dead because of his actions. Again this incident is no where what happened with Michael Brown and should not even be compared. The Michael Brown incident I do not believe (that is just me) was racially motivated. I believe this was.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, acesover wrote:
The officer acted with what I feel was racial prejudice and should be punished to the maximum the law allows. There is no way Scott should be dead because of his actions. Again this incident is no where what happened with Michael Brown and should not even be compared. The Michael Brown incident I do not believe (that is just me) was racially motivated. I believe this was.

wow, this is a change, many of your others posts defend bad behaviour.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
What I would think of as a third brake light would be a kind of strip light across the middle of back somewhere.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The DOJ report on the Ferguson PD clearly established racist practices by the police and courts. The prosecutors, in presenting the case to the Grand Jury, were acting more like defense attorneys and didn't even attempt to make a case against the officer who shot Brown.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
"The reason I stopped you is your brake light is out," Slager says.

Which is not an offense in North Carolina. (Unless you're DWB in a Mercedes, of course.)

Since this happened in South Carolina, North Carolina laws don't apply.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
In this video the cop is seen walking to the car and his hand touches a light.

Why, I don’t know: maybe to feel if it is warm or broke perhaps?

Police always touch the quarter panel of vehicles they have stopped to apply their fingerprints.

The third brake light is the brake light in the center of a vehicle...usually behind the rear windshield.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Police always touch the quarter panel of stopped vehicles to apply their fingerprints.

Why??? Surely not to prove they were there! Aren't cops always truthful, they are upholding the law and swear to it.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Someone. please show any evidence of racism.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, landmark wrote:

sweet Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:

http://www.thetoptens.com/most-racists-s......9684.asp

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/09......y-finds/
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, cat weasel wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, acesover wrote:

wow, this is a change, many of your others posts defend bad behaviour.

Not true. What I consider bad behavior is something I would not defend, ever. I despise what some call political correctness when it is anything but correct. I would defend the officer in Ferguson because of the evidence. However I wish Michael Brown had survived his wounds. But again I do not blame the officer for his death. Hope you can understand that.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.thetoptens.com/most-racists-s......9684.asp

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/09......y-finds/

Why do you continue to cite North Carolina?

This incident occurred in South Carolina.

Your references show no evidence of racism in this case. None!
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
The DOJ report on the Ferguson PD clearly established racist practices by the police and courts. The prosecutors, in presenting the case to the Grand Jury, were acting more like defense attorneys and didn't even attempt to make a case against the officer who shot Brown.

The officer who shot Brown is not the Ferguson police Dept. (he only works for them along with many others)nor should he be judged by the other officers of Ferguson Police Dept.and you know that as a lawyer. He cannot be held responsible for their actions not they for his.

Good for the DOJ and their report findings. What exactly are they going to do with that report besides create tension? Yes we know some officials and police are gone but nothing in it finds fault with the officer that shot Brown. If the shoe was on the other foot you would say the DOJ was on a witch hunt because they proved nothing against the officer.

I agree that the PD needed fixing. But that I do not feel is the DOJ's job to micro manage local police departments. Of course I am sure this will go in another direction now and take the pressure off all of your misstatements such as the comment about the Ferguson Police Dept. when it was not the matter to be investigated but rather the officer who shot Brown was of prime importance. However when that was lost something had to be done to be politically correct...again. Send in the DOJ and show how corrupt the PD is and maybe it will rub off on officer Wilson. But it did not work.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Police always touch the quarter panel of vehicles they have stopped to apply their fingerprints.

Interesting. What is the reasoning behind doing that?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Check your tail lights (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL