The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tips on Scarnes Follow The Leader (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Hi!

As new to card magic/magic I did invest in the book Scarne on Card Trick and loving it. I special like Scarne’s follow the leader but I’m look for some tips on the count in the beginning of the trick. I feel a bit insecure about it. It feels like a will get caught when doing it. So if anyone has some tips on how to do it, I am really happy for that.
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
I'll begin my suggestion by saying that if you do the count confidently, no one will be the wiser. There's a saying in magic: "Don't run if you're not being chased." Instead of running, lead the audience down the proverbial garden path.

Here's an alternative:

1) Spread the 12 cards face up and break at the red/black split. Red cards in one hand, blacks in the other.

2) Let's assume you're holding reds in your left hand. Spread the top four cards to the far right, so there's a gap between the two sections.

3) As you bring your hands up, feed the black cards into the gap below the four cards. Square and turn the packet face down.

I hope that makes sense.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Thanks for the tips but what I look for is more how to convince them that is it normal to count 8 cards then spreed 4 and then say yes its 12, like Scarne is doing in the book. So more of tips on how to make it normal when you are doing something that isn't normal. But maybe its so simple don't look at the card when you do it.
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
If you're set on performing that count, simply do it with confidence.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Exactly! And when I do it by myself I lack confidence in doing it. So was hoping on tips on how to do it with confidence
ianchandler
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of ianchandler
There are really no tips for confident performance. It emerges organically. Once you've performed something a thousand times, it becomes second nature. You don't think. When you get to that point, confidence should be natural.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Okey, thanks for the tips I will try to build some steam Smile and practis a lot.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
You say you are new to card magic, so not sure how elpful this will be, but after you have down the count and spread the two seperate piles, turn them face up one at a time to remove the face card as a leader card. You are now in position to do an extended elmsley count with remaining cards to show five cards of one colour in the packet. That's pretty convincing if they did suspect something. It's a great trick isn't it? Tamariz has a cool routine with more cards if you fancied comparing them.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2015, stickmondoo wrote:
You say you are new to card magic, so not sure how elpful this will be, but after you have down the count and spread the two seperate piles, turn them face up one at a time to remove the face card as a leader card. You are now in position to do an extended elmsley count with remaining cards to show five cards of one colour in the packet. That's pretty convincing if they did suspect something. It's a great trick isn't it? Tamariz has a cool routine with more cards if you fancied comparing them.


Im new to card magic been at it for 4-5 months now and I'm just practis my sleight of hand for now and I want to use some self working to boost my self and to make my fam and friends use to me making card magic on them. I like the elmsly count but for now when doing it all of me is a tell Smile either I don't get it right or I get right and it surprises me so I freez Smile

Yes loved the routine that Tamariz is doing, its so good and funny.
pnerd
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Timtom, instead of Scarne's count, I suggest a move I learned from one of Bob Longe's books if I remember correctlty. Suppose in the face-up packet of 12 cards, the red cards are on top and the black ones beneath.

1. Spread the cards and show them in a fan (the black cards on the left of the fan and the red cards on the right of the fan).

2. Your left thumb should be on the fourth black card from left, and your right fingertips should be against the back of the fifth black card from left.

3. Next, while raising your hands upwards, you separate the cards in two groups (adding the rightmost two black cards of the fan to the back of the red cards), and close the cards up.

4. Now you should have 4 cards (black) in your left hand and 8 cards (2 black and 6 red) in your right hand.

5. Turn the left hand packet face down, and tell them that the red cards should go on top. Then turn the right hand packet face down and place it on top of the left hand packet.


Note: if the spectator themselves remove six black and six red cards from the deck at the beginning, then I don't see the point of counting the cards at the beginning. If you want to do a count, you can do a legitimate count at the beginning of the steps I mentioned above. Hope this helps.
.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2015, pnerd wrote:
Timtom, instead of Scarne's count, I suggest a move I learned from one of Bob Longe's books if I remember correctlty. Suppose in the face-up packet of 12 cards, the red cards are on top and the black ones beneath.

1. Spread the cards and show them in a fan (the black cards on the left of the fan and the red cards on the right of the fan).

2. Your left thumb should be on the fourth black card from left, and your right fingertips should be against the back of the fifth black card from left.

3. Next, while raising your hands upwards, you separate the cards in two groups (adding the rightmost two black cards of the fan to the back of the red cards), and close the cards up.

4. Now you should have 4 cards (black) in your left hand and 8 cards (2 black and 6 red) in your right hand.

5. Turn the left hand packet face down, and tell them that the red cards should go on top. Then turn the right hand packet face down and place it on top of the left hand packet.


Note: if the spectator themselves remove six black and six red cards from the deck at the beginning, then I don't see the point of counting the cards at the beginning. If you want to do a count, you can do a legitimate count at the beginning of the steps I mentioned above. Hope this helps.
.


Nice one will try it. Thanks
pnerd
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2015, Timtom wrote:
Nice one will try it. Thanks

You're welcome.
.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
This is a complete aside, but I don't remember that trick being in the book at all. I grant you that I don't have all 155 memorized, but it was the first magic book I ever bought and I thought I knew it better than this. That trick is in the book? Live and learn...
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
This is a complete aside, but I don't remember that trick being in the book at all. I grant you that I don't have all 155 memorized, but it was the first magic book I ever bought and I thought I knew it better than this. That trick is in the book? Live and learn...


79. Scarnes Follow the Leader. page 143 in my book Smile
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, Timtom wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
This is a complete aside, but I don't remember that trick being in the book at all. I grant you that I don't have all 155 memorized, but it was the first magic book I ever bought and I thought I knew it better than this. That trick is in the book? Live and learn...


79. Scarnes Follow the Leader. page 143 in my book Smile


Right you are - I dug up my copy and sure enough, there it is. Thanks. Smile
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Happy I can help Smileand it helps me geting to 50 ;-)
pnerd
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Here is Juan Tamariz performing his version of Follow the Leader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhCqNK8A98

Timtom, you can see how he counts the cards at the beginning before turning the cards face down.
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, pnerd wrote:
Here is Juan Tamariz performing his version of Follow the Leader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhCqNK8A98

Timtom, you can see how he counts the cards at the beginning before turning the cards face down.


That is a nice move Smile and he is so funny to see Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tips on Scarnes Follow The Leader (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL