The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do I even dare? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
Hi friends,

I am an officer in the U.S. Army who has just been nominated as Master of Ceremonies for our brigade social next month. I was told to be "entertaining."

As the MC, I will have a captive audience of more than 600 people. Today I was thinking to myself, "This would be a fantastic opportunity to perform an amazing demonstration of mentalisim." The catch is I've never performed mentalisim before, let alone performed for so many spectators. I am, however, an ambitious optimist. Smile

The question is this: Do I dare perform an amazing demonstration of mentalisim for the first time in front of 600 people?

We only live once and I've been in situations that were more dire. If you were in my shoes, what is the one feat that you would perform? I just want to perform a single demonstration.

I know the temptation to reply sarcastically is nearly irresistible here, but please, serious responses only. I'm in a bit of a time crunch and if I am going to succeed, I will need to start practicing immediately.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Not a sarcastic reply, an honest one that may ultimately be unhelpful. I would perform the effect that I most enjoy performing and that I am most confident of performing and that would play well to a group of that size ideally without the need to bring volunteers forward. I do have specific effects in mind that I personally would use but the key parts here are "that you enjoy performing, and are adept enough and confident enough to perform". I would not want to learn a new effect for this purpose unless I had a very good lead time to refine it.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
My background is bizarre magic performed for intimate gatherings. I'm definitely in unfamiliar territory by attempting this. These events are traditionally rather dry and I'm looking to change that perception. A great effect to break the ice and kick off the evening would really go a long way.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Do you have experience as an MC ?

Diving into mentalism for an upcoming show sounds kinda risky to me.

I was just hired (discussion in the tricky business section) to do a Mentalism show for an awards ceremony next month for 400 and then emcee the awards. This will be a first time emcee event for me - for similar reasons as you mention - to "spice" up the awards.

For me this won't necessarily be a walk in the park and I'm full time as a Mentalist.

If you don't do Mentalism regularly I personally think you might consider performing something you are already familiar with in magic. Mentalism isn't about the effects it's about the knowledge, acting, persona and much more. It sounds like you anticipated some critiques. Good luck!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
If you've never been an emcee you might want to focus instead on a book to help you be a great emcee. I found this one to be excellent:

http://www.theeiinstitute.com/ei-institu......ian.html
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
Why not do some great bizarre magic ? Smile

You just need a piece that will play big enough : séance inspired effects might be good...

First question, do you want peolples on stage with you ? (otherwise there are some great opener out there)
Second, what are you able to perform that could be put on a stage ? (you will be much better if you stay in you skillset)
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Sir
I have a background in public relations, and I've MC'd events in the past. Fortunately, I have no problems entertaining people.

The issue with performing bizarre magic is that this is definitely not the venue. When I was deployed, I did a lot of card magic because it was light-hearted, portable and generally made folks happy. As a result, I earned a bit of a reputation and it would not seem out of the ordinary for me to do some magic for this crowd.

Bizarre magic is sort of contrary to the mood I'm seeking to create. But, as you all know, bizarre magic and mentalisim are close relatives of each other and it would not be too much of a stretch change my colors for an evening.

I was thinking that a mind reading effect or prediction would work well. I am seeking to obtain a new effect though because all of my current props either look ancient or evil.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
If this is the first thing you are doing that night as emcee, you want to grab the audience in an entertaining way. Since you are not a mentalist, it must be simple. This is, by definition a 'major effect' as Bob Cassidy would say. With a large group that suggests a PF. Easy to do with little experience, grabs the attention of the group yet allows each audience member to focus on their own thoughts and observe the outcome as a group at the same time. Major issue is how to frame it for maximum effect.
John
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Bypass the mentalism and instead use suggestion. Do magnetic fingers and immediately stick everyone to their seats. They won't forget this and it will definitely end in laughs all round.

If you need any help let me know.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Perhaps this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6syJvJAnZQc

If you shop around there is an even larger version [11 x 7inches]

It is technically easy to do. When it is is presented properly...it can get a great reaction.

All the best.
Rich
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
830 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
PF or suggestion would indeed be a good fit for your situation Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I retired from the Army many years ago and these type of events are meant to be as fun as possible. A few good jokes and simple magic might be the way to go. Theme it to the events that are current in your area/unit/Brigade.

Will there be uhhhhhhh Grog to drink for the unlucky few? Smile

Fun and simple is the way to go as an MC. Nothing to deep and time consuming.

Ray
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Whatever you do - the effect/theme etc. you choose must match the goals/objectives of the evening - I MC and speak a great deal - you must have a reason to do anything to it is relevant to the audience. IMHO
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This is not a vanity project. You have been asked to entertain 600 men. So entertain them. Keep it simple, and experiment some other time would be my advice. Do simple direct fun magic. Perhaps throw some mental magic (not mentalism) such as the Invisible Deck. As an MC you will have very short periods in which to work. Nothing is worse than an MC who rambles for fifteen minutes through a boring presentation. So don't fall into that trap. This is a gig for inside your comfort zone.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have a self working version of Beyond Banachek, where they all end up flipping the bird ... Would that work?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
"He Who Dares, Wins" is the motto of the finest special forces team in the world.

Go for it.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
"He Who Dares, Wins" is the motto of the finest special forces team in the world.

Go for it.

Del and Rodney? Smile
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2018 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
One effect comes to mind that is reasonably easy to learn, enjoyable, plays well-though it involves one spectator up front with you. Take a look at Shawn Farquhar's "Sheer Luck" comedy book test.

George
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, Rolyan wrote:

Go for it.

Del and Rodney? Smile

The creme de la menthe of comedy.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Try something by Mick Ayers. He has some marketed items and he also writes for MUM magazine. Perhaps one of his routines will work for you. Nothing too difficult , mostly material based on presentation. Good luck.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Do I even dare? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL