The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Murder Systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
WHY SYSTEMS BECOME MURDEROUS EXPLOITATION MACHINES

http://mwcnews.net/focus/analysis/4269-f......howall=1

Cool article!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Cool indeed!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
The goal of the activist is to increase democratic participation (i.e., direct influence) in all areas of activity and to reverse or impede the otherwise increasing concentration of power.

Optimally, the activist practices direct influence at the point of his/her strongest connection to the economy; at work for the worker, at school for the student, on the street for the homeless person, etc. This is the point at which the system has the strongest grip on the individual but it is also the point where the individual has the most power against the system’s authoritarian oppression. Expressed as the Freirian mantra – in activism, in the struggle for liberation, “one can only fight one’s own oppression.” Our oppression primarily results from the undemocratic hierarchy that controls our lives

Very good, indeed.

But this, less so:
Quote:
In this regard, the right is more effective than the left...

The right activists, on the other hand, root their politics in individual rights and see themselves as threatened by structures and changes that would remove their individual rights. In this way, they are closer to the true impulse of the anti-hierarchy activist and therefore represent a formidable instrument of power when they are manipulated.

Leaving aside the religious fanatics on the right that would impose their beliefs on us all and the political correctness fanatics on the left that would impose their beliefs on us all, American libertarianism has deep roots and is a powerful potential ally of anarchy-inspired anti-hierarchy (pro-democracy!) activism.

Just who then, if we discount the religious fanatics and the authoritarian right, are we left with? The author posits some right wing libertarian activists who work to increase democracy. Who would he give as examples of such people? But as the author himself admitted earlier in the article, left to itself in a laissez-faire economic system, democracy will always be corrupted by the wealthy. That's always been the fatal flaw of libertarianism--there's no economic analysis that acknowledges that a market system never stays static but moves always closer to a concentration of wealth and power.

In practice, we've always seen the so-called libertarians aligning with the power elites on economic matters.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I'm waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse to arrive to reset all they systems.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's a great point, Brian. We have to start from where we are; I think a lot of my progressive friends don't understand that. On the other hand, there are a bunch of revolutionaries who have given that matter quite a bit of thought...That's why that first quote above is very important.
cat weasel
View Profile
New user
free agent
16 Posts

Profile of cat weasel
I'm still waiting for the prophecies to happened but I see that the year 2000 passed without any, then 2012, and any other aren’t going to happen.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
My daughter prophesied the Grand National winner: She looked up and seen Many Clouds and backed it at 33/1.

I on the other hand, studied the form all night and I am still waiting for mine to finish.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Murder Systems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL