The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America's latest police shooting (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As he lay dying Mr Harris could be heard on the video screaming: "Oh, God. Oh, he shot me; I didn't do s---."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew......ect.html
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
It is going to continue happening until the guns are taken away (from all sides). A civilized society does not rule from behind the barrel of a gun. Also, cops need to know that shooting people (especially black people) has consequences. We need to see cops getting jail time for these murders.

If cops aren't prosecuted then inevitably people will take the law into their own hands, and the cops will become targets. It is already happening. Its a very sad situation.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
It is practically turning into a witch-hunt against white cops.

I mean, the reserve sheriff's deputy in Oklahoma even apologised: "Oh, I shot him. I'm sorry."

Yet they are still charging him with manslaughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/13/okl......testnews

Go figure.

(Actually, from what I've read I do feel sorry for the deputy. These reserve deputies are permitted to carry firearms but have far less training than regular officers, and it sounds like he was in over his head.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
It is going to continue happening until the guns are taken away (from all sides). A civilized society does not rule from behind the barrel of a gun. Also, cops need to know that shooting people (especially black people) has consequences. We need to see cops getting jail time for these murders.

If cops aren't prosecuted then inevitably people will take the law into their own hands, and the cops will become targets. It is already happening. Its a very sad situation.

Just curious...why especially black people? Do you men to imply they won't get in as much trouble if they shoot white people? I really think unjustified shootings are bad no matter the race. Again just asking. It is not a bad question or racist question. I just want to know what you mean and why.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes with more training he could have shot him six times and strangled him.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Wow.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:

When was your last visit to a psychiatrist? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:

Just curious...why especially black people? Do you men to imply they won't get in as much trouble if they shoot white people? I really think unjustified shootings are bad no matter the race. Again just asking. It is not a bad question or racist question. I just want to know what you mean and why.

I to am curious as to why just black people???
Check out Bafflingbob.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can't blame the poor reserve deputy.

On most officer's belt the pistol in on one side and the tazer on the other -- not close to each other.

It is easy to get confused when the objects to be grabbed are only a foot apart and they weigh several pounds differently and have a different color.

Guess he missed kindergarden training too.

Amazing that he hit the guy with so little training. Guess he didn't miss that part.

Just kidding of course.

If I planned on running from an illegal operation I'd learn dodge and roll tactics.

Dundee could have this guy with a can of beans.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
On further thought why don't perps wear clothing that blends in with the background.

It's their fault! If you plan to escape across the grass, wear green clothing.

If planning to dash up a sidewalk, wear grey.

That way only innocent bystanders will get shot.

You know the old saying, "If you have a gun your have to shoot something."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You need more precise topic verbiage, Tommy- "America's latest police shooting" is too much a moving target, so to speak...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:

"Especially black people"......sounds like you are placing less value on any race other than black? Also, since the beginning of time we have not been a civilized society and it will never happen. I am sure the cavemen wanted to disarm other cavemen the right to own rocks and sharp sticks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:

Cops should be in trouble for shooting anyone, irrespective of race. That should be obvious to all. I specifically mentioned black people, because we all know there is a racist element to these incidents. Black men are far more likely to be shot by police than any other demographic. That is the reality.

And shooting of black people has historically provoked far less outrage than shooting of whites, until recently. Now at least we all appreciate that black lives matter, but that is a recent development.

Eighty years ago cops attended lynchings in the south. Fifty years ago they covered up and didn't investigate murders of black civil rights leaders. Things are improving, but there is a long way to go. That is why I mentioned blacks specifically.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which lynchings did "they attend?

You use pronouns that if you replaced them with a race or gender you would call yourself a racist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, it was common for the entire white population of a municipality to turn out for lynchings, including the police and high ranking public officials. And lynching was far more common that in sometimes thought:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-......y-finds/
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Danny, you know well that cops attended lynchings often. In Waco, Texas, in 1916 there were several cops in attendance when Jessie Washington was burned to death.

When Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith were lynched in Indiana in 1930 the local cops helped out.

Thankfully those days are over, but pretending they didn't happen makes no sense.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:

Cops should be in trouble for shooting anyone, irrespective of race. That should be obvious to all. I specifically mentioned black people, because we all know there is a racist element to these incidents. Black men are far more likely to be shot by police than any other demographic. That is the reality.

Except, of course, that it is not the reality...

"In 2012, according to the CDC, 140 blacks were killed by police. That same year 386 whites were killed by police. Over the 13-year period from 1999 to 2011, the CDC reports that 2,151 whites were killed by cops -- and 1,130 blacks were killed by cops.

Police shootings, nationwide, are down dramatically from what they were 20 or 30 years ago. The CDC reported that in 1968, shootings by law enforcement -- called "legal intervention" by the CDC -- was the cause of death for 8.6 out of every million blacks. For whites the rate was was .9 deaths per million.

By 2011, law enforcement shootings caused 2.74 deaths for every million blacks, and 1.28 deaths for every million whites. While the death-by-cop rate for whites has held pretty steady over these last 45 years, hovering just above or below the one-in-a-million level, the rate for blacks has fallen. In 1981, black deaths by cop stood at four in a million, but since 2000 has remained just above or below two in a million.

So what's driving this notion that there is now an "epidemic" of white cops shooting blacks when in the last several decades the numbers of blacks killed by cops are down nearly 75 percent?
"

'Racial' Cop Stories That Didn't Make the Cut
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Kabbalah, thanks for supplying actual facts. Those facts do show that you are more than twice as likely to be shot by a cop if you are black. This is a lot better than I suspected, but still a cause for concern. However it is great to see that the numbers are coming down.

I did say in my post that the situation is improving.

A figure I would love to see is the number of prosecutions that follow from cop shootings. How often are cops prosecuted, and does colour play a part in whether a prosecution follows a shooting? I suspect it does.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Among the thousands of fatal shootings at the hands of police since 2005, only 54 officers have been charged, a Post analysis found. Most were cleared or acquitted in the cases that have been resolved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investi......secuted/

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » America's latest police shooting (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL