The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Fingertip MP please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I recently purchased Cointopia primarily to learn the fingertip muscle pass. I've gone over the appropriate section of the book, yet can't seem to get the positioning (or grip ?) just right. Not wanting to go into detail here, would a kind soul take a moment and pm me a hint or two on this move ? Fwiw I have no problem whatsoever with the 'palm' MP, but for whatever reason am not having much success learning this version.

Cheers
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
The first time I ever got the finger-tip muscle pass, it scared me when it flew a few feet and smacked in to the wall, aha.

PM sent.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
A BIG thanks to Digitalyosh and Zephury for their PMs. It still amazes me how helpful the members are on this forum... one might think magicians jealously guard their secrets, but clearly there is a level of understanding among those who strive to achieve similar goals.

Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy Smile
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
No problem there CarpetShark. The best thing someone on here can do is guide others to learn new things and help further the art.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Its really a knack move. Kainoa teaches it in the NYCMS dvd series. I also used it, but found it was easier for me to do it by propelling the coin after inserting the edge under the nail, and extending the finger quickly which propells the coin. I found this much easier, and Kainoa also mentions this in his Penguin Live lecture (another good place to learn the move).
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
I think kaoina teaches it wrong (teaches, not performs). He says to strain your muscles as hard as you can, but there is no reason to do it that way when starting out. Just like the classic mp, focus on getting some motion, then slowly build up strength.
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
I saw a magician do this once as a kid, and just picked it up on my own. I have no idea if I correctly implement this or not, but I find that thinking of Fingertip MP as a tiny, imperceptible snap, gets me in the right frame of mind for it to work properly- and when I use it, it is pretty much impossible to see it move- it's there, and then elsewhere. It is propelled with significant force, and quite easy to aim.

The key for it working for me, also, is holding it at the most extreme fingertips of my thumb and first two fingers- otherwise, it's almost self working, and very, very simple. Mr. Rubenstein is very on the mark when he says it is a "knack move". It is not hard, and pretty much an intuitive knack.

Or, am I approaching it completely wrong? Ha!- I don't think I've seen written instructions for this in any book I own, and any videos I've seen of it happen too far from the camera to tell if I do it the "correct" way or not.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Micheal, I did not know the move is taught on the NYC set. Yet another reason to get the DVDs, (like I needed another reason!!). It seems there are two 'versions' or methods to doing this: as you describe - using the index finger to actuate the move, and Kainoa's where the fingers remain more or less stationary.

SmileandNod, I agree, as I had been trying to do it as described in Cointopia, which mentions the pressure you described. I'm going to use that as my excuse for having to ask for help Smile

Thanks guys, appreciate your time.
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
This move almost made me cry to get down. It is a really knacky move. And your fingers will surely hurt if you do it the way Kainoa does. But nevertheless, I think it's a really good move to get down, Three Fly and many more routines benefit from it.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I didn't know that Kainoa taught this on the NYCMS DVDs. I'll haveto go through mine and try to find it!

Thanks!

Jim
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The variation I use can be found on volume 10 for the Magnetic Coins routine. Not sure in which trick Kainoa uses the move, but he appears on a few of the earlier volumes.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Dr. Mike.

I have that list of contents for all the NYCMS DVDs that you so graciously published a year or two ago and from that I can easily see where all of Kainoa's performances are, so there's no problem.

Thanks again!

Jim
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
A quick update on my adventures with the FPMP: pretty much havev Doc's version figured out, just need to spend time polishing. As for Kainoa's version, still haven't got it, but will persevere. When I first worked on the 'regular' MP I developed great calluses on both hands, which I work daily to maintain, as they help tremendously with my CP.

Can't remember the name of the routine where K.H. uses this move, but it has something to do with the coins 'wanting to stay together', so he shoots one from hand to hand with (apparently) no finger movement whatsoever. Gotta love that!

Thanks again guys, appreciate your time and experience.

Cheers
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
A quick update on my adventures with the FPMP: pretty much havev Doc's version figured out, just need to spend time polishing. As for Kainoa's version, still haven't got it, but will persevere. When I first worked on the 'regular' MP I developed great calluses on both hands, which I work daily to maintain, as they help tremendously with my CP.

Can't remember the name of the routine where K.H. uses this move, but it has something to do with the coins 'wanting to stay together', so he shoots one from hand to hand with (apparently) no finger movement whatsoever. Gotta love that!

Thanks again guys, appreciate your time and experience.

Cheers
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Pontha the Smith use Fingertip MP in his 3 Fly Routine ( at 0:17):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7a_tEcihZ8

dj
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I believe he also has a single lesson just of FP instant download video for about $5.
If you don't want DVD's or lecture.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Ponta is one of the smoothest coin operators I've ever seen, imho. What I admire is the apparent effortlessness (is that a real word ?) of his work, which inspires me to practice all the more. Thanks for the link DJ, and info Jerry.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Fingertip MP please. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL