We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a Haunted Key look old (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I love the Haunted Key that I just bought. The only problem is that it is nice and shiny. I want mine to look like it is hundreds of years old. Other then leaving it outside in the weather for 20 years, does anyone know how I can get the same effect in a day or two?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Depends on what it is made of.

Here are a couple of methods.

http://www.wikihow.com/Age-Metal

You'll find a lot more info online.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1519 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
The ones sold in the black plastic cases are plated the first thing you may want to do is remove this cheap plating. Then apply the aging element. This will make things much easier in the long run.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Model railroading stores used to sell a product called Blacken-It that will age metal rather nicely. One website I checked said that it was no longer available, but I saw others that still were showing it.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Gun bluing: You can produce varying darkness of color.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-......770.aspx
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
zoic
View Profile
New user
UK
64 Posts

Profile of zoic
Toss is in an open fireplace/wood burner, should aptly knackered by the morrow!
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Thanks guys! It is the one in the black plastic case.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Hey, I just bought the Buma's Triple Haunted Skeleton Key from Steven's Magic Emporium.

I still plan on making the Haunted Key I bought a week ago old looking. Living close to New Orleans which was the Home of Marie Laveau and her daughter Marie Laveau ll, is a great area to come up with a story about this Skeleton Key I bought being Haunted.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To make my key look used, I just took a metal file to it, rounding the edges and angle filing the key part. Especially on the tip and extended key part. Then again on the knob. Put a few nicks around the barrel from hitting the key hole as it was turned. I carried the Fun Inc. key with me, in my pocket, after a month or so, the barrel started turning black and dull.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making a Haunted Key look old (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL