The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Eugene Burger's Mullica Wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Does anyone know if the wallet Eugene Burger & David Parr use in the "Gourmet Magic" video is still available (and where)? They really looked smooth in operation.

Thanks in advance.
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Yes the Mullica wallet is available at various shops.

http://www.magicmakers.com/Magicsite/Car......let.html

and

here.

BTW, I'm looking for that routine Burger uses. Any chance you wanna part with the video, or possibly explain it? I just received a Mullica wallet and have heard great things about Burger's routine.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Smokey43:

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific in my first post. I am looking for "exactly" the wallet used in the video (which my club owns), sorry. I have no idea if it is still made. I highly recommend the video, or the same routine can be read in Mentzer's Card to Wallet Book
magicbouy
View Profile
New user
Ireland
52 Posts

Profile of magicbouy
I got mine from Hank Lee - it's very similar to the one in the video.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-02-10 23:30, smokey43 wrote:
BTW, I'm looking for that routine Burger uses. Any chance you wanna part with the video, or possibly explain it? I just received a Mullica wallet and have heard great things about Burger's routine.

Explaining it is not an option, since it is not his (or anyone else's, except Eugene) to explain. The routine is available from several sources, such as the two sources mentioned ("Gourmet Close-up" and "The Card to Wallet Book"). You can also find it in Burger's "Mastering the Art of Magic." I would suggest going over to Eugene's site (http://www.magicbeard.com) and purchasing it from him. He has both his video and book available.

As far as the wallet used -- why does it need to be the particular one used in the video? Wouldn't any Mullica Wallet suffice? What is it about that particular wallet that you want?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Thanks Jim... Gonna check out the site and look around the book.

cheers.

I suppose the wording of my message should not have included "explain it." Was curious to how it was introduced, ie: as a closer to the Ambitious Card. As is the norm.

Not a problem at all ... like I said, off to grab the video or book

Cheers.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:

As far as the wallet used -- why does it need to be the particular one used in the video? Wouldn't any Mullica Wallet suffice? What is it about that particular wallet that you want?

I recently purchased a Mullica Wallet, the type that included the folding blue sheet noting "Mullica Wallet." I had to send it back because of manufacturing defect before I had a chance to use it, but I noticed that the insert didn't quite fit into the inside "pocket." I had to jam it in, and couldn't imagine it coming out smoothly. Also with the insert, there was this clear plastic checkbook flap. If I would have added a checkbook, then I definitely would not have ever been able to slide the insert into the inside pocket of the outer wallet.

I believe that unless you actually pull out the insert from an inside pocket, then the effect doesn't make as much sense to have a smaller "wallet" in your main wallet. If I would have had added a checkbook, then the outer wallet would have acted like a filefolder.

I love the concept but I believe it's time for a redesign of the classic Mullica if this indeed was the classic Mullica. So to Dano's point, the wallet used in the Eugene Burger routine seems to be different as his insert fits inside the inner pocket, moves in and out smoothly and doesn't contain that unnecessary checkbook flap.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Mike hit the proverbial nail on the head re: the wallet with the blue sheet. It is a commercially available Rolf wallet that was never designed to be used for magic.

I re-worked mine till it fit (by stretching the pocket & cutting off the plastic flap and it works fine now. A lot of Magis don't care for the plastic holder in the inside left. I kinda do, for the "diversion card."

I also have the Elite Garnier BKM. It is designed from the ground- up and works MUCH smoother, along with having the Kaps & LePaul capability. I was just curious if a smoother working Mullica only existed like the one in the video.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
With the blue sheeted Mullica, it seems as though the insert design was an afterthought when put together with this wallet. The design should have started with a well made insert, possibly a little wider and a little shorter with some reinforcement by the sXXX in the insert to keep it relatively flat when opened. Then the outer wallet should have been sized to hold the insert comfortably and support a smooth removal.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Have known Tom Mullica for many years and performed his card in wallet as well. One must note the thinking behind the no palm effect.

The idea of using the checkbook is that the card is hopelessly buried within the confines of the wallet. I used the commercial wallet for years as a business person. Then I transfered my checkbook to Tom's and it increased the mystery of the card being within a smaller wallet.

Being it does not use a zipper, this thinking is very smart indeed. Mullica also uses the gag card to direct and point out the fact it is further buried. This seemingly spontanous discovery is then directed to the inner wallet, which gives reason for removing the checkbook.

If you will note most people keep many different items and paper behind the checks in their checkbook, making every move in this item logical.

Jive, if your new wallet was tight, it only needed some breaking. All leather loosens up with use and body heat.

I am not fimiliar with this blue sheet mentioned, as it is not a part of Tom's wallet.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
The blue sheet refers to the handling/routine that comes with the wallet in the clear bag that holds both. I'm not certain if all Mullica Wallets have this but I added it to describe the type that I purchased.

The checkbook idea sounds like a good one if you could fit the insert into the wallet pocket, but the insert would truly not fit with a checkbook inside even if you tried to stretch it. As is, the insert was about 1/8" too long without the checkbook and the inside pocket was so tight that the empty insert felt fat when I tried to put it inside.

Wmhegbli, you may have an older Mullica in which everything works smoothly and I believe that's what Dano is seeking. And to be fair, maybe I've received a bum insert, but it seems Dano had the same problem with his new Mullica.

I am not knocking the Mullica; I love the routine, believe it's a brilliant concept and an outstanding card-to-wallet effect, if not the best one. Unfortunately, I didn't find a working Mullica. I recommend going to a brick and morter magic store to see the Mullica wallet and slide the insert or ask a reputable online store who has excellent integrity before you buy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Eugene Burger's Mullica Wallet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL