The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Where do you learn from" Question (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, fonda57 wrote:
I think the issue about saying you learn from books is that people will come away with the notion that it's just something you need to read in a book, so it's nothing special. All you have to know is how to do it. I have said that and people always look disappointed on hearing that. Talking to people afterwards is still part of the show, and you're still playing the part, so to speak. But they're not dumb, they can see it takes years of work to be good at a magic performance.

Oh wow, those are some good points. I wasn't thinking at all about character.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
As mentioned above,

How do you get to Carnegie Hall, comes to mind.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, SmileAndNod wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2015, fonda57 wrote:
I think the issue about saying you learn from books is that people will come away with the notion that it's just something you need to read in a book, so it's nothing special. All you have to know is how to do it. I have said that and people always look disappointed on hearing that. Talking to people afterwards is still part of the show, and you're still playing the part, so to speak. But they're not dumb, they can see it takes years of work to be good at a magic performance.

Oh wow, those are some good points. I wasn't thinking at all about character.

Ok I'll add a few words.
"Years of carefully studying books."
Now they know it's not a slam dunk and I'm committed, or should be.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Yeah, if you say it playfully enough they will get the idea, which is that you don't want them to know how to do it. If they ask because their kid is into magic, I would point them in the direction of Magic Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Where do you learn from" Question (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL