The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism parlor/stage opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Hey all,

I am not new to magic anymore as my user name says. I have been a full time magician for 2 and a half years. Primarily performing children shows and family events with an adult gig here and there. I am starting to book more high end all adult/corporate type gigs. I have a show with magic and some mentalism and I am transitioning to performing mentalism only and marketing myself to that. I am good on close-up mentalism but I was hoping for some suggestions for opening effects of mentalism that play well on stage or in parlor settings? I have been doing Bill Abbott's Five Card Opener but want the show to be all mentalism now. Any routines suggested would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Ari Paul

www.felbermagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What type of mentalism are you doing and what is your mentalism platform?
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Mostly comedy mentalism in a stand-up situation
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Wading through these should keep you busy for awhile. Smile
http://tinyurl.com/l2gwcfc
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
You Da Man Truman!! Perfecto....
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
I suggest you check out some oo John Archer's material/videos. Some great combinations of comedy and "mentalism" (I would actually dub it comedy "mindreading magic").

Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, DocBenWiz wrote:
I suggest you check out some oo John Archer's material/videos. Some great combinations of comedy and "mentalism" (I would actually dub it comedy "mindreading magic").

Smile Smile

John Archer's "Blank Night"? Smile
May you live in interesting times.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
What do you mean by "comedy mentalism?"
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
No answer, must have got what he wanted
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On May 13, 2015, george1953 wrote:
No answer, must have got what he wanted

Ir he just went to bed since it is the middle of the night in my part of the world at least.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Cassidy,

I would consider, from what I know of your material, that you are in fact a comedy mentalist. I consider myself a comedy mentalist (although never booked as such) due to the fact that the seriousness of "mind reading" is broken up with genuine laughs. I try to pride myself on the fact that I could do a show without any "tricks" and people would still be entertained via the stories, jokes (all organic to my material), and my personality. The fact that I add effects into my program is not secondary, as they booked a mentalist, but they are not nearly as important as the laughs as I find that is my differentiating and connective quality of my show. My point? I don't think performers who say they do comedy mentalist shows are outlandish, unless the comedy undercuts/tarnishes the mental aspects of the program.

respect,
Billy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I absolutely disagree. I'm not a comedy mentalist at all, Billy. I do use humor in my act true, and I have a somewhat irreverent stage persona. But I never present the mentalism itself, or the process, as comedy. My effects are always presented as if they are the real thing and not a magic trick or a joke.

Comedy mentalism is really just mental magic in which the effect itself is presented jokingly.

Look at the videos of me performing live on my YouTube channel below. Please tell me which routines present mentalism as comedy.

The answer is- none of them.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of Demitri
Bob is definitely not a comedy mentalist. I also don't consider John Archer a comedy mentalist, because - regardless of his persona - I don't think he thinks of his effects and routines as "jokes", either.

Why does everything have to have such a definitive label, all the time? Is a mentalist not allowed to be funny? Slapping "comedy-whatever" onto your name, to me, is a marketing tactic more than anything else. It's a way for a magician/mentalist/juggler(??) to get into a comedy club without having to jump through as many hoops. Usually, whenever I see something like that, I'm reminded of Patton Oswalt - and immediately think that the performer isn't good enough at either one.

You can pride yourself on being able to do a show without any mentalism - but realistically, you wouldn't get booked as one if you do.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Demitri wrote:
Bob is definitely not a comedy mentalist. I also don't consider John Archer a comedy mentalist, because - regardless of his persona - I don't think he thinks of his effects and routines as "jokes", either.

Why does everything have to have such a definitive label, all the time? Is a mentalist not allowed to be funny? Slapping "comedy-whatever" onto your name, to me, is a marketing tactic more than anything else. It's a way for a magician/mentalist/juggler(??) to get into a comedy club without having to jump through as many hoops. Usually, whenever I see something like that, I'm reminded of Patton Oswalt - and immediately think that the performer isn't good enough at either one.

You can pride yourself on being able to do a show without any mentalism - but realistically, you wouldn't get booked as one if you do.

I don't agree with you on either front. I think John Archer is in fact a Comedy Magician.I think his show and routines are structured that way too. I have never labelled myself as a "Mentalist Comedian" ( whatever that is?) - and yet I have performed in a fair number of comedy clubs. I have shared the stage with some high profile comedians too. I think labels are important in this business, otherwise the booker doesn't know what he/she is paying for, and the audience are equally confused. Unfortunately these days we have Magicians trying to perform Magic and Mentalism in the same set, and, quite frankly, making a balls of both!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I repeat- I'm NOT a comedy mentalist, nor would I ever even consider advertising myself as such.

Want to see what comedy mentalism is? Watch Johnny Carson doing "Karnac the Great."

If you saw someone advertised as a "Comedy Psychic," would you expect to be seeing a comedy act or a psychic?

If a psychic simply has a sense of humor and occasionally says funny things, that doesn't make him/her a comedian.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Cassidy,

I never meant to imply that you book yourself as or consider yourself a comedy mentalist. Rather, when I compare your work to many other mentalist, I would personally consider your act as funny. I think if the jokes are organic by products of the effect, or if jokes are used knowingly to elicit laughter, then it is NOT a stretch to assume that a layperson watching your program would describe your show as mentalism mixed with comedy.

When I speak with people after my shows many are anxious to talk about how I could know something that no "normal" person should know, but just as many thank me and tell me how funny the show was. "I didn't know you did comedy as well as mindreading" or "I wasn't expecting the show to be funny" are often remarks that I get.

Now, when the moment of "mentalism" is being performed there is nothing comedic about what is happening. However, if something funny occurs as aforementioned, organically I am not afraid of allowing humor into the moment.

Long story Long, I don't think your (very accurate and proper) idea of a comedy mentalism would be the same as someone like myself who finds it hard to put my show into black and white boxes as either mentalism or comedy mentalism, but I would hate to imply that my show is without comedy if I was asked to describe in detail on an open forum what type of program I present.

respect,
Billy
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Yes, I have seen the Carson skit before on youtube. For the record, Bob, I didn't say you are a comedy mentalist - I don't know how you could be considered as such.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Cassidy,

I don't have to watch your clips as I have committed them into memory years ago due to being a huge fan.

"I should of known it was a !@#$% when I Picked you" - this line never seems to garnish anything other then laughter. The line, unlike the gal licking envelops, has no bearing to the method (i.e. misdirection under a laugh) so therefore, I can only conclude that the use of humor is a product of comedy within your program.

I understand why comedy is used in pieces and I belive its one of if not the greatest tools to connect with an audience, but just because you don't undercut the amazing abilities you showcase with jokes doesn't instantly render you a non comedian of sorts, in my very humble opinion.

respect,
Billy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Nor does the use of humor and irreverance make act "comedy mentalism."

It's not that at all. I'm surprised that you don't see the difference between what I do and what actual comedy mentalism is. (Again, Johnny Carson's Karnac is a good example of comedy mentalism in which the "mentalism" itself is just a vehicle for jokes.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On May 13, 2015, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Yes, I have seen the Carson skit before on youtube. For the record, Bob, I didn't say you are a comedy mentalist - I don't know how you could be considered as such.

I wasn't sure what you meant because the poster previous to you had agreed that I didn't do comedy mentalism and you responded that you disagreed with both of his points.

You confused me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism parlor/stage opener? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL