The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » USA's Most Important Accomplishments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
As an end-of-semester special project in her college US History class, my daughter wants to survey at least 250 individuals in three age categories, and get their opinion on the five most important things that the USA has contributed to the world. These can be anything from new technologies to political contributions to business models. I suggested to her that this might be a good place to get a lot of varied ideas.

The only thing I ask is that we stay on-topic and not get into a political argument or make silly comments. She (and I) would really appreciate input from any of you who would like to participate.

What she needs:

1. The name of the accomplishment (up to five)
2. One sentence describing why you think it is important
3. Whether your age range is 20-39 years, 30-59 years, or 60+ years

Thank you in advance for your help.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Total Quality Management developed by Dr Deming, Joesph Juran and others.

Created philosophy that revolutioned business.

30-59 year old bracket.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
1. The Salk and Sabine Vaccines to eradicate Polio.

2. Steve Jobs brought us into the modern age of computers

3. Bill Gates, same as Steve Jobs

4.& 5. Outer Space Technology which lead to the first an only men to land on the Moon, among other things.

60+ years old.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The moon landing and the opening up of space exploration. Needs no explanation - the greatest adventure the human race has gone on, and could only be done by a country with massive resources and intellectual curiosity.

Hard-boiled fiction, particularly Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler. In fact, a reinvigorating of fiction in general starting with Moby Dick and continuing right through to Don DeLillo and James Elroy. English literature was in the hands of 'respectable' middle-class writers, and was getting stale. American writers brought a new vibrancy which improved literature worldwide.

Extreme capitalism and the concept that the individual is more important than society (you didn't say the accomplishments had to be positive). For hundreds of years western culture was dominated by European nobility who ruled by divine right and the rest of society had no rights. From 1789 onwards (the French Revolution) people began to demand rights, leading to democracy all over the developed world. But in America this was reversed, with society being dominated by the super rich, to the detriment of the common man.

The harnessing of nuclear power. For good or evil, this gives us unlimited power into the future. It also threatened for a while (mutually assured destruction during the cold war) the future of the entire planet.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
1. The Bill of Rights. It was a benchmark that inspired so many others on the planet to seek their own freedom.
2. Social Security and Medicare. The collective use of tax dollars which benefited huge numbers of people, despite the naysayers.
3. The 1969 NY Mets. Because everything said it couldn't, shouldn't happen, but it did.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Practical Application of Standardized Parts in Manufacturing as done by Eli Whitney

By developing and using standardized parts in the production of muskets for US government after revolutionary war, Whitney established manufacturing method that allowed for the industrial revution and mass production.

Still in 30-59 group
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
1. Jazz
2. Unique American art form.
3 63 years old.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And Rock and Roll.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
1. Manned space flight. I'd like to expand upon space travel a bit by way of reminder that it was because of our manned space missions that we have so many of the technological advances we enjoy today.

Here's a couple of links that further expand upon it.

http://www.care2.com/causes/5-things-we-......ion.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

Jazz was mentioned by Arthur and I'd also add Blues. Blues transformed the pop music scene and paved the way for rock and roll. It was very culturally transforming.

Alternating current for electrical power distribution; thanks to Serbian American inventor Nikola Tesla. His ideas for transmitting electrical current made it viable for entire cities and the world to enjoy the benefits of electric light, heating and cooling, food refrigeration that helped prevent spoilage and on and on. Even the computer you're reading this on.

30-59 range
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
1. Baseball
2. Baseball
3. Baseball
4. Baseball
5. A written Constitution, jazz, rock and roll, etc.

I'm 52.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
1) The promise of opportunity from individual entrepreneurship

2) The Whitney thing.

3). The computer thing

4). Products invented as a result of the Space programs

5). And now, 3-D printing.

- Over 60 -
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Tom, you forgot baseball.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
OOooh! 1-b) Forgot Baseball!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
1) The Internet - Platform provided by the U.S. that resulted in revolutionary impact on culture and commerce

60+
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Thank you all for your contributions. If anyone else would like to participate, there's still time! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Bilko.
51 (and a half.)
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
The Manhattan Project.

It changed the world forever.

60+ years
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Jeans, 1875, Levi Strauss

Life without them would be so uncool

30 - 59
Bob
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I didn't think jeans were cool anymore - I hardly see anyone wearing denim of late.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Oh, denim is still in, but it has to be selvedge denim from Japan, and you have to wear your jeans for up to a year without washing them in order to get really sick fades. And my guess would be that it's a gay thing. But what would I know? I'm a straight guy who wears Levis and wears fingernail polish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » USA's Most Important Accomplishments (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL