The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » State of Mind - Matt Mello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I know many mentalists don't frequent the Latest and Greatest section, so I thought I would post my review down here also since this is one of the best mentalism books I've read in a long time.

Those who know me probably know I am a huge fan of Matt's work. His simplicity is always the highlight of his effects and routines. I have almost every publication Matt has made to the community (if not every publication.) I have read them all... I have used many of them... this is by far his best work to date.

First of all, the routines explained within have no overlapping from his previous works. These are all routines that have been unreleased until now.

I will purposefully be as cryptic as possible when describing the routines. I will honestly say this: each routine feels like it's the real deal. More so than ever. Here are my thoughts on each of the routines individually.

Metal Bending:
Wow... this is stunning. It is such an original piece of mind numbing goodness. There has never been an effect quite like this one. The spectator experiences something truly weird and the audience has no clue how or why. This will leave everyone confused in the best way possible. The 'magic' happens in the mind. Good stuff. This does require a gimmick but it is very simple to make and use. It is 100% reliable.

I will DEFINITELY be making this up and using it. It's very out of the box thinking to create something entirely new that has never been done before. Kudos.

The Line Test:
This is where things start to get more psychological in their approach. This one isn't 100% but I can see it being quite consistent. It's a nice drawing duplication style routine. In this one however, the performer's drawing is handed to them prior to the spectator making a drawing. No gimmicks are used here, just a piece of paper and something to write with. Once again, this is a very creative idea which appears so innocent, yet proves to be more mischievous than it first appears. Nice work.

I will definitely be trying this out soon.

Heritage:
KILLER. Absolute KILLER. This is the golden routine of the bunch for me. The effect is precisely what Matt described above. Someone thinks of three people close to them and imagines them standing near by. You can immediately reveal the names and relationships. This is such an original and fresh approach to this concept. It is entirely propless and will be perceived as as close to real mind/person reading as you can possibly get. I have already performed this for a well respected Café member over skype and it absolutely fooled the pants off of him. He sat back in his chair laughing and clapping while saying some very explicit words. His remark was "How could you know? I didn't say anything!" Do not over look this one. It is simple and requires almost zero memory work, yet it is every bit as powerful as some of the harder effects I know. One of the reasons it hits so hard is because you are using the name of three people close to them. People you've never met and have no way of knowing. Yet, you appear to know way more than possible. Technically this isn't 100%, however it will be about 95% or more.

There are many alternatives to this routine in the additional section. In that sections Matt discloses a living and dead test that can be performed completely propless as well as a way to reveal a name freely thought of and never written down. GOOD STUFF.

I've already used this and will definitely use more in the future. It does require some guts to perform, but the pay off is well worth the minimal effort. I love this one.

Instrumental:
Matt gave a great description of this above. Someone can think of an instrument they play and just by having them imagine touching their instrument (not pretending to play it, literally just reaching out and touching the imaginary instrument) you can instantly tell them what instrument they play and/or are thinking of. This again is completely propless. This is essentially the concept of Heritage taken a step further. This can be used for multiple effects as it's really more of a principle than one single effect. Matt listed some of the other possibilities above. Once again, not 100% but easily 95% or more.

I will definitely use this. It's too good to pass up.

A Subtle Afterthought:
A way to force one item from a list using no props. I will have to try this out before I can comment further on it, but it seems like a sound method. This is psychological in approach, but with a strong backbone that will greatly increase the success rate.

Trying this one for sure.

The Hidden Temple:
How does Matt do this!? He consistently takes little things I've done for years and completely re-purposes them to be put to use in a much greater way. As Matt said above, the spectator thinks of an item (for instance, a color of the rainbow) and you are able to know which color they thought of. Propless yet again, and about 99% guaranteed to work. This is where Matt's out of the box thinking really amazes me. You ALL know this basic method, and yet none of you have EVER thought to use it in this way. This could be used as an effect in itself or as a way to get information which you use later. Great stuff.

Will I be trying it? You better believe it!

Ideomaster:
I have always sucked at muscle reading. I'm crap it. Every time I try, I fail miserably. Matt has provided subtle changes and thoughts which will bring the success rate of muscle reading up tremendously. He has given me the courage to go out and try muscle reading again. This little changes make all the difference.

I will do this very soon.

And that's the book! Please note that I am being 100% honest in my views. I cannot tell you the last time I read a book on mentalism and wanted to use every single piece. This is a rarity. There isn't a single routine that is worse than the others. They are all real world, hard hitting effects that feel as close to genuine mind reading as one can get. There's no dual reality that is seen in many books now days. Each effect is just as impressive for the person you're performing it for. These will play fantastically for a one-on-one impromptu situation, a small group performance, or even for a large audience on stage. This is packed full of workable routines you WILL use. I cannot recommend this enough. It is $40, and that is a shame. In someone else's hands, this book would be priced at $400 instead of $40. Yes, the material really is THAT good.

Since I will be using literally every single effect from the book, I cannot give this any lower than 10/10. It is perfection if I've ever seen it.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book. It may very well be the best mentalism release of 2015. It's certainly the best I've read so far.

Madison
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3514 Posts

Profile of takeachance
A couple of good ideas in it, but I feel they need a lot more work. Not quite as enthusiastic about it being best release for 2015 LOL. It's OK but over priced for the quality compared to previous releases. Not sure if the metal bend is as earth shattering as your review suggest. Different strokes I guess. I do like Matt's work, but !!!!! Heritage seems very transparent to me, and the method was picked up by my wife when I performed it for her, so didn't bother with instrumental as its the same methodology, just a slightly different theme.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Takeachance,

This is bold stuff for sure and pretty much the real deal. I'm sorry that you didn't god as much value in it as I do. I have performed heritage for magicians and mentalists and instrumental for friends and family. They have always been very amazed. No one has thought it is transparent. They have all said "wow... That was really good." It does SEEM too transparent, I thought the same thing when I read it. But when I tried it confidently, it seriously killed.

I have made up the mental bending and I'll see how it goes. I think it's pretty different. There's not really an effect that one compares to. It's in its own category.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12242 Posts

Profile of John C
I'll take heritage as a single option. I am quite a fan of Matts work.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
What about language restrictions for these effects?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2015, widuk wrote:
What about language restrictions for these effects?

There's really no language restrictions. You aren't dealing with letters or spelling. Just the words themselves. You would just have to use your language.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey takeachance,

I knew those 'too good' deals would come back to bite me! Sorry to hear that you feel that way. I would have actually suggested performing Instrumental for your wife instead of Heritage. I mean, you KNOW her friends, and everyone she's related to. Maybe you did it with other people she knows, but I can't imagine it would ever have the same impact as a stranger revealing these things. And I would, at the very least, suggest trying out the first additional thought of Heritage. I can guarantee you that it gets fantastic reactions with laymen.

And I would say Maddy's comments on Mental Bending are right on point. This is one of my most tried and tested pieces, because it's simple and it KILLS! I always have it in my pocket. It is just such a surprising moment for everyone, coming completely out of nowhere. I urge you to test it out before making a final decision on it.

Widuk,

As for language restrictions, there are none. All of the pieces will work in any language that you speak.

Matt
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Where can this be purchased?
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hey Brehaut,

Thanks for your interest in State of Mind!

It's available directly through myself at the moment, by sending $40 to mattmello88@gmail.com through Paypal.

You can also learn a bit more about the contents from the Latest and Greatest thread.

Matt
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Psy
Wow Matt! The mentalism community needs more minds like yours. This is excellent material!!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thank you for the compliment, Psy! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the material!
Luccky
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Luccky
Very good stuff in this book. Not hard to use and very clever. I love that, especially mind matrix. Thanks matt to share this material with us.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, Lucky! I always try to keep things simple and practical. Glad you enjoyed the ideas!
WooverM
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of WooverM
Thanks for the review, added to my wishlist!
Woover
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » State of Mind - Matt Mello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL