The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Disturbing Things You Didn’t Know About Forensic “Science” (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
This made me pay attention:
Evidently a lot of things we take for granted as courtroom evidence is pretty slippery: hair analysis, bite marks, blood splatter, shoe and tire treads--heck, even fingerprints.
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/24/badforensics/
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hey, they quoted my former Evidence professor, Jennifer Mnookin!

Edit: Checked my email shortly after posting this and found one from Facebook two hours ago asking if I knew Jennifer Mnookin. Where's that synchronicity thread?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is about degrees of certainty.

Also THIS is the problem when people read tgis stuff and suddenly think they are forensic scientists and twist things to fit their agenda.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I agree with Danny.

It would seem that if a clear fingerprint is found at a scene you can be fairly certain that the person was there. If DNA is found you can be fully certain that the person or their twin was there. If hair is found, the person might have been there. Some forensics are very good. Others are merely suggestive.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Even "clear" fingerprints are open to interpretation. The "expert" has to go in and show where the points of similarity are. And I seem to remember them getting THAT wrong from time to time.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/......que.html

"[S]tudies have shown that that experts do not always make the same judgment on whether a print matches a mark at a crime scene, when presented with the same evidence twice. A study by Southampton University found that two thirds of experts, who were unknowingly given the same sets of prints twice, came to a different conclusion on the second occasion."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's been shown that almost any biology undergraduate is capable of fabricating false DNA evidence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/science/18dna.html?_r=0
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yet this sort of evidence is what is Used to gin up protests constantly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
It's been shown that almost any biology undergraduate is capable of fabricating false DNA evidence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/science/18dna.html?_r=0

I thought that Barry Scheck showed that twenty years ago.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Project innocence has done sure great work for certain.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There have been a number of forensic science scandals in England etcetera, which, are detailed in forensic science technical books of which I have many. So I personally find nothing new or interesting in the above.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
People will believe what is readily untrue devoid of any scientific iinvestigation.

This at least tries.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Disturbing Things You Didn’t Know About Forensic “Science” (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL