The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Age of Ultron (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Hello chaps,

Here is a review, I'm sure some of you will not agree, and I'd love to hear an opposing view!

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

While watching this latest Marvel extravaganza, I caught myself reminiscing about Superman, the ubiquitous super hero film of my childhood.

I was recalling how for much of the film, Christopher Reeve (peace be upon him) is in character as Clark Kent, bumbling reporter for The Daily Planet. There is a great deal of character development, more than a smidgen of plot, and the Superman appearances are rationed carefully, so that one was just desperate for Kent to get in that bloody phone box.

Those were the days, yes indeed. For nowadays, we have Joss Whedon's 'Age of Ultron'. Over two hours, yes that's 142 minutes, of high intensity special effects.

The dialogue, such as it is, probably takes up fewer than thirty of those minutes. The interminable action sequences are punctuated by one liners, which do little to assuage the passive rage of a parent who has just blown the sort of small fortune which is de rigeur for today's cinema goer.

Character? Well, one of them has a wife, which is characterful, I suppose. Oh, and they have a party; the sort of event where one would stand in the corner with a fixed expression, entertaining suicidal thoughts. So much for character.

Plot? Ah, yes, that. Whedon seems to have done away with such outmoded concepts as context and development, so ideas just materialise and we can only wonder as to the how or why.

Perhaps I'm taking it all too seriously. But I can't help comparing this to another recent Marvel effort, 'Guardians of the Galaxy', which frankly beats 'Age of Ultron' into a cocked hat, then stamps on it. What we watched this afternoon was all spectacle and no drama. I advise you not to watch this film, and instead donate the money to a worthy cause.

Oh, and just how much did Adidas pay for that incredible product placement? Eight figures?

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.d......ings.htm
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Those of us in North America have a few more days to wait until the release. Then the review floodgates will open.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, balducci wrote:
Those of us in North America have a few more days to wait until the release. Then the review floodgates will open.

And when the floodgates do open here... there are ways to discuss a film and say "you saw it" -to offer an informed opinion without spilling any beans/story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, balducci wrote:

And when the floodgates do open here... there are ways to discuss a film and say "you saw it" -to offer an informed opinion without spilling any beans/story.

No doubt. But anyone who wants not to be spoiled should be wise enough to avoid threads titled "Age of Ultron" (here or anywhere) for the next few weeks.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Men...

It was so so.

Worth watching once.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Ah, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'll avoid spoilers in this post.

Just finished watching Age of Ultron. I was prepared to be disappointed. I really hate big budget special effects movies with nothing to offer other than special effects. Any movie in the Transformers series being the perfect example. Also, I had seen WAAAAY to many pre-release clips of the movie which made me apprehensive that I'd seen too much and knew too much to be happily surprised. (Bravo to those of you who have the will power to avoid all previews before watching!)

Not to worry. It was wonderful. It was funny. It was spectacular. At least as good as the first Avengers and certainly on a par with Guardians of the Galaxy. As a kid, I always looked forward to those big Giant Size comics that had a ton of heros in them but after reading them, I was always disappointed. By trying to fit so many hero's into one comic, every hero got short shrift and things just didn't work. Here, nearly every hero is treated intelligently, given lots to do and an important role within the movie.

Loved it. If you like Marvel, you shouldn't be disappointed. Make mine Marvel!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I can spoil it without ever seeing it. The Avengers appear beaten, but at the last moment they rally and defeat Ultron.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Randwill wrote:
I can spoil it without ever seeing it. The Avengers appear beaten, but at the last moment they rally and defeat Ultron.

Um, hate to disappoint you but, no, not so much.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Randwill wrote:

Um, hate to disappoint you but, no, not so much.

Ultron destroys the Avengers? Cool! Now I want to see it.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
In the future, please preface posts like that with "SPOILER ALERT!!" as a courtesy to others.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Non spoiler alert.

The movie rocked.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Having avoided all previews of the movie, I suspect it was even more entertaining for you Danny. Glad you liked it.

I don't know if you've got much background in Marvel comics. Assuming you don't, was any of the movie confusing for you?

Tiny spoiler ahead!

One thing I didn't realize, since I don't watch Agents of Shield, was that apparently the last episode of Agents of Shield led into the opening scene of Age of Ultron. I guess Agent Coulson is the one who called in the Avengers for that opening attack.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have a large background in comics. Always been an AVENGERS FAN.

My mom had almost no prior knowledge and followed easily.

Not sure about the tie in.

It was pretty respectful of the source material. Obviously minus Hank Pym.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, rockwall wrote:

Tiny spoiler ahead!

One thing I didn't realize, since I don't watch Agents of Shield, was that apparently the last episode of Agents of Shield led into the opening scene of Age of Ultron. I guess Agent Coulson is the one who called in the Avengers for that opening attack.

RELATED TO YOUR TINY SPOILER...

Last year, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." tied into the "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" storyline (TV episodes that aired before and after opening weekend of the movie), so I was expecting it for this year with "Avengers: Age of Ultron", too. I also saw some links on Facebook mentioning this.

I enjoyed the movie, and I'm sure I'll see it again in the theatre.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I didn't particularly like it, but with the marvel story-arch that is developing, it made a few an important contributions. Just filler in the series of movies though. I actually enjoy the special effects, and action scenes, but I'm 15 so I'm the target audience for such things.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not convinced you are the target audience. Unless you mean the effects and such then probably.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I was talking about the effects. The movies themselves are meant for a wider range.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I liked it well enough. My kids took me tonight; it was fun.

I like Marvel action scenes because even if they're fast paced, you can still mentally and visually keep up with what's happening on the screen. Transformers, on the other hand; which I didn't really like, makes my brain hurt trying to keep up with the super-fast carnage.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I liked it well enough. My kids took me tonight; it was fun.

You are supposed to be resting your knee young man, not galivanting around going to the movies!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Did I say that out loud? Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Age of Ultron (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL