The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yum! Theodore, that is epic!

I figured I'd share the recipe for Vietnamese Nước chấm. Anyone brave enough to make this?

You need one thing, kinda unusual. Fish Sauce. Not just any fish sauce. Ya want the best you can get. The lower quality stuff is not recommended. Ya wanna see the word, "Nhi" on the label. That is the highest quality. Look for this brand name:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51......200_.jpg

4 tbsp white vinegar (or lime juice)
4 tbsp 3 Crabs Fish Sauce
4 tbsp sugar
2 cloves pressed garlic
1 or 2 fresh Thai Bird Chiles, sliced (Or any small red hot pepper). Or use red pepper flakes
Dilute with up to 1 cup water

Let it sit in the fridge overnight. The garlic will sink to the bottom.

This is used in every Vietnamese meal in place of salt. Try it and PLEASE let me know how you like it! Smile

Doug
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The best thing you can do for chips is befriend S2000Magician, then invite him over and ask him to make and bring some salsa.

Note, though: When he says "spicy," he's not kidding.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Spicy I can DO! Most Americans cannot handle what I eat. I dated a Thai girl for a year! She introduced me to the incendiary Thai Bird Chile!

Doug
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've been on a porkbelly kick lately. I mean, it's BACON!

I'm finding it in many restaurants these days and also seeing it on several of the food network shows.

I've been trying different recipes but have failed. Some are time consuming preps, others aren' crisp enough and so I haven't made the perfect one yet in at least a half dozen tries.

But that may change this week. The most recent "Pressed Pork Belly" I had in one of the better restaurants in our area is the best I've had, and I've had all kinds. When I asked the chef how he prepared his, he didn't skip a beat and he told me exactly how he does it. Salt, sugar and water. That simple.

First, you have to find the pork belly. Not easy in some parts. I buy the whole belly then cut it up into about four equal parts and freeze them till I'm ready to use them.

Add to water in a baking dish large and deep enough to hold the belly submersed in water:

1.5 cups salt

1.5 cups sugar

Place belly in dish with water/sugar/salt mixture, then place a smaller dish with heavy weights (I use two five-pound lead weights wrapped in foil) over the belly in the larger pan. The weight in the inner dish presses the belly in the larger dish. Make sure the belly is completely submerged and the larger dish is not so full that you won't be able to carry it to your fridge!

Finally, place in your fridge for two weeks allowing the brine to do its work.

When ready, remove the belly, rinse it in cold water then pat dry.

Cube the belly into two inch squares and deep fry till crispy and done. (Haven't figured the time yet.)

My pork belly has been in the fridge for two weeks as of tomorrow. I'm hoping to fry it up it tomorrow evening. I'll report back no matter how it turns out. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I will try that pork belly idea. And perhaps the Thai hot sauce too.

Inspired by reading this last night I went to a new farmers market this morning and got the best crepe I have had in ages. A buckwheat pancake filled with free range egg topped with hollandaise, organic smoked bacon, local artisan cheese, and a sort of spinach salsa. Made my day.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I want to try several new things too, after reading your posts. This is going to be a fun, eye-opener of a thread.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Here's a fun thing to do if you have kids. Or even if you don't. When our kids were younger I would cover the table in sheets of waxed paper, overlap them, tape them together and flip them over. You could also use foil or a cheap plastic table cloth.

Then I'd make a huge batch of chicken wings and fries and dump them in big piles right on the table. The kids loved it, they could pour their ranch and ketchup right on the table too. And easy cleanup.

This is really a fun way to eat. One time the kids had some friends over and they got all wide eyed when they saw me dumping all the food out onto the table, "Do you guys eat like this ALL the time?"

When my son came home from combat the last time we did this again for "old time's sake." We had a lot of fun and they were all sharing pictures of their piles of food on the table on Facebook.

Smile

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
There's a restaraunt in Madison, WI called Bunky's.

They have menu item called "spaghetti on a board". They cover your table with clean board them in center put spaghetti, sauce and meatballs. Then everyone digs in. Pulling what you want to you and eating. Kids used to love going there! (It helped that the food was really good).
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
I've been on a porkbelly kick lately. I mean, it's BACON!

I'm finding it in many restaurants these days and also seeing it on several of the food network shows.

I've been trying different recipes but have failed. Some are time consuming preps, others aren' crisp enough and so I haven't made the perfect one yet in at least a half dozen tries.

But that may change this week. The most recent "Pressed Pork Belly" I had in one of the better restaurants in our area is the best I've had, and I've had all kinds. When I asked the chef how he prepared his, he didn't skip a beat and he told me exactly how he does it. Salt, sugar and water. That simple.

First, you have to find the pork belly. Not easy in some parts. I buy the whole belly then cut it up into about four equal parts and freeze them till I'm ready to use them.

Add to water in a baking dish large and deep enough to hold the belly submersed in water:

1.5 cups salt

1.5 cups sugar

Place belly in dish with water/sugar/salt mixture, then place a smaller dish with heavy weights (I use two five-pound lead weights wrapped in foil) over the belly in the larger pan. The weight in the inner dish presses the belly in the larger dish. Make sure the belly is completely submerged and the larger dish is not so full that you won't be able to carry it to your fridge!

Finally, place in your fridge for two weeks allowing the brine to do its work.

When ready, remove the belly, rinse it in cold water then pat dry.

Cube the belly into two inch squares and deep fry till crispy and done. (Haven't figured the time yet.)

My pork belly has been in the fridge for two weeks as of tomorrow. I'm hoping to fry it up it tomorrow evening. I'll report back no matter how it turns out. Smile

OK, the results are in; we had it tonight.

If you like pork belly (also known as chicharrones) you will like this recipe. The only thing we changed at the last minute was a dusting of corn starch on the cubed pieces of pork belly before deep-frying which helped in the crispy department.

So far, this has been my most successful attempt at it it. They turned out crispy and tender, just the way I like 'em,

That said I will make a few adjustments next time. The salt suger water mix was fine, but we should have removed the belly from the brine and soaked it in fresh water for some time before deep-frying to remove the heavy salt taste.

I fried them at 360 degrees (the highest temp our deep fryer reaches) for about 18 minutes. While about half of them came out crisp and tender, others turned out a little more cooked and less tender. I'd probably only fry for 15 minutes the next time and keep fine tuning to my liking. I also attempted cubing them into two inch squares, but the ones that came out less tender and juicy were the smaller pieces.

We served it with a corn relish with a sweetness that nicely complimented the pork.

Definitely going to try again.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Mmmmm. Heavily salted, deep fried cubes of pork fat....
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Yum! Theodore, that is epic!

I figured I'd share the recipe for Vietnamese Nước chấm. Anyone brave enough to make this?

You need one thing, kinda unusual. Fish Sauce. Not just any fish sauce. Ya want the best you can get. The lower quality stuff is not recommended. Ya wanna see the word, "Nhi" on the label. That is the highest quality. Look for this brand name:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51......200_.jpg

4 tbsp white vinegar (or lime juice)
4 tbsp 3 Crabs Fish Sauce
4 tbsp sugar
2 cloves pressed garlic
1 or 2 fresh Thai Bird Chiles, sliced (Or any small red hot pepper). Or use red pepper flakes
Dilute with up to 1 cup water

Let it sit in the fridge overnight. The garlic will sink to the bottom.

This is used in every Vietnamese meal in place of salt. Try it and PLEASE let me know how you like it! Smile

Doug

I've heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people; so I'll ask away. lol

How fishy is the flavor Doug? I ask because I'd try this, but I'm worried I may be the only one eating it. I'm about the only one who likes fish in our house.

thanks!

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, imgic wrote:
Cold spell in Colorado so making potato leek soup and working on perfecting my grilled ham and cheese.

Finding out you grill the inside first then have right mix of cheeses (still working on that). Assemble, then light mayo on outside and grill.

I like to add sauteed onions to my grilled ham and cheese. Or turkey and cheese.

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I'm getting a pizza tonight. Does that count for anything?
Reality is a real killjoy.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On May 3, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:

As long as you have a good beer to go with it...beer and pizza...mmm

We've been getting flat- out pizza crusts, or stonefire pizza crusts (not sure if they're national). Then store bought pizza sauce and toppings. Fresh mozzerala cheese and yummy. Cheaper and better than any delivery (though not as convenient).
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1141 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On May 3, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, imgic wrote:
Cold spell in Colorado so making potato leek soup and working on perfecting my grilled ham and cheese.

Finding out you grill the inside first then have right mix of cheeses (still working on that). Assemble, then light mayo on outside and grill.

I like to add sauteed onions to my grilled ham and cheese. Or turkey and cheese.

Mmm. Will have to try that. I've been using sharp cheddar, Colby jack and a little goat cheese. Been pretty good but not perfection.

Also I've been having trouble getting crispy brown outside of the sandwich. I think I've got too low if heat.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Nice. We got Domino's pizza last night. Tried a different combination, bacon and cheddar. Highly recommended.

For some reason I'm craving a good quality hot dog and a beer.

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 3, 2015, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On May 3, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:

As long as you have a good beer to go with it...beer and pizza...mmm

We've been getting flat- out pizza crusts, or stonefire pizza crusts (not sure if they're national). Then store bought pizza sauce and toppings. Fresh mozzerala cheese and yummy. Cheaper and better than any delivery (though not as convenient).

I'm 15 and think drinking of any kind is a prime example of the foolishness of humans, so no beer.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Point taken.

Since this is a foodie thread we will sometimes suggest beer and wine pairings with certain foods.

Also, this thread was started as a way to have something to talk about that does not involve people's moral opinions, religion or politics.

If anyone doesn't like drinking or thinks it is wrong they can feel free to move on to another thread.

I can't believe I'm having to say this in this thread. Smile

Moving on.

I enjoy a good beer with a hot dog.

Anyone ever had Kilt Lifter?

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Sorry, not trying to derail the topic. Stating my opinions in the wrong place is a nasty habit of mine. Anyway, I've found that Dr. pepper goes well with pizza. Maybe it's one of the 23 flavors.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Tonight we had home made white sauce pizza. Chicken and diced sweet onions with a home made Alfredo sauce topped with mozzarella and fontinella cheese. Baked outside in my pizza oven.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL