We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1152 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Sounds great. Will give it a go and let you know how I do!

I just got an Anova Sous Vide cooker. It really does make for far more tender and moist meats! Not sure a rib eye for 3-4 hours is worth the wait. I can do it in the oven perfectly in just 15 minutes total. I did cook a chuck steak, and it turned out VERY similar to a rib eye in taste and texture. I think the meat cooking in its own fat dramatically intensifies the favors.

Super simple; once it's in the pot, let it sit as long as you can.

We talked about the Sous Vide cooker, it seems about a year ago and I remember that time that I was interested in trying it. I just might have to pull the trigger on this (maybe even in time for Christmas Smile )

Just curious, what made you choose that particular brand? I'm looking at a Gourmia brand, which I never heard of, but I'm wondering if all sous vides are created equal? I'd think that capacity of the cooker is important?

I still can't get used to the idea of cooking steaks in the sous vide method; Steak without grill marks and char just don't seem like they'll be the same. But everyone I've talked to about it says the same thing. Y'all can't all be that wrong!

I've looked at sous vide cooker as well. My understanding is that after cooking it Sous Vide, you can throw it on hot grill to get browning/char marks. In fact you should as the meat comes out of Sous Vide a bland biege

Anyone with a Sous Vide, please correct me if I heard wrong...would love to learn more.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
^ What he said.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I went with Anova because they had a killer sale. I got the basic model for $99. It's an emersion style so you put it in the pot or tub of water and it heats the water. No app hookup on this model. If you can set the timer on your phone just like any other cooking method, then you will know when it is "done". I put done in quotes because you can leave it doing its thing way past the "done" time. For most meats extra time in the water only makes them more tender; it doesn't cook them further. I'm excited to try that out on some tougher cuts of beef.

Anova has three models.
Basic - no smartphone connectivity
Bluetooth - connects to phone via Bluetooth so limited range of connectivity and better adjustability to pot sizes.
Wifi - connects to phone via wifi so you can roam wherever your wifi is and still be connected to the cooker plus better adjustability to pot sizes..

All are emersion style. Think giant stick blender.

I had a quick look at Gourmia, too. I was interested in their full countertop model which is a complete appliance, but it takes up a lot of counter space, like a small toaster oven. It is marked down for a great price on Amazon right now. If I recall its like $149 marked down from $300. If you aren't aware Amazon slashes the price of products which they bought and are not selling. That gave me pause, but it's probably just a brand and product recognition issue.

The Anova units I bought take up less space and cost me less than the Gourmia. Anova is all over Facebook right now pushing the Bluetooth unit at a huge discount still.

I had been all set to get one of these for my birthday, but then life got in the way, so it was delayed 6 weeks. Smile

Like all technology, these are getting smaller, and in some cases less expensive as competition increases. I see now a very compact unit but it is priced at $300 and only on presale right now. I think it's called Joile, or something like that.

Now about those steaks. I put mine under the broiler but that was not a great result. Even a broiler was not hot enough, I didn't want to over cook them. I'm a medium rare on the more rare side steak person. Next time I am putting them on my grilling pan when it's as hot as I can get it! Another option is to take a torch to them. I have a creme brûlée torch which I will try at some point.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
You guys are correct that you can sear the meat once it comes out of the sous vide bath. Hot grill or cast iron grill/skillet will do it fine.

On the ceramic cooker front, this year I'm going to try smoking a turkey for Christmas. Got a 13 pound bird, and an upright roaster, and a bunch of pecan wood chunks. Now I just need to figure out the proper rub and what juice or libation to put in the roaster.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:

......Now about those steaks. I put mine under the broiler but that was not a great result. Even a broiler was not hot enough, I didn't want to over cook them. I'm a medium rare on the more rare side steak person. Next time I am putting them on my grilling pan when it's as hot as I can get it! Another option is to take a torch to them. I have a creme brûlée torch which I will try at some point.

Thanks for that input Tom! I have a grill that can reach 600+ degress F and should work nicely for some quick grill and charring for steaks.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, EsnRedshirt wrote:
You guys are correct that you can sear the meat once it comes out of the sous vide bath. Hot grill or cast iron grill/skillet will do it fine.

On the ceramic cooker front, this year I'm going to try smoking a turkey for Christmas. Got a 13 pound bird, and an upright roaster, and a bunch of pecan wood chunks. Now I just need to figure out the proper rub and what juice or libation to put in the roaster.

You may want to try John Henry's, East Texas variety of meat rubs. A friend of mine put me onto them and they're really good. I particularly like their Bourbon Rub Seasoning and their Maple Bacon Seasoning. You can also get a wide variety of wood for smoking from them: http://johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:

.....Anova has three models.
Basic - no smartphone connectivity
Bluetooth - connects to phone via Bluetooth so limited range of connectivity and better adjustability to pot sizes.
Wifi - connects to phone via wifi so you can roam wherever your wifi is and still be connected to the cooker plus better adjustability to pot sizes..

All are emersion style. Think giant stick blender.

I had a quick look at Gourmia, too. I was interested in their full countertop model which is a complete appliance, but it takes up a lot of counter space, like a small toaster oven. It is marked down for a great price on Amazon right now. If I recall its like $149 marked down from $300. If you aren't aware Amazon slashes the price of products which they bought and are not selling. That gave me pause, but it's probably just a brand and product recognition issue.

The Anova units I bought take up less space and cost me less than the Gourmia. Anova is all over Facebook right now pushing the Bluetooth unit at a huge discount still.

I had been all set to get one of these for my birthday, but then life got in the way, so it was delayed 6 weeks. Smile

Like all technology, these are getting smaller, and in some cases less expensive as competition increases. I see now a very compact unit but it is priced at $300 and only on presale right now. I think it's called Joile, or something like that.

I found a study by Cooks Illustrated magazine where they tested several models and the one they most Highly Recommended for the home cook, all things considered,is the Anova One. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipme......machines

It sells for $199. I'm very close to pulling the trigger. Apparently temp control is key with these devices, but I'm wondering if there is a recommended pot for use with the immersion units? It appears that some pots are better than others at holding accurate temperature, which seems key to the operation. Can't seem to find any data on that.

Also, it appears that you also need a vaccuum sealer, but some also say you can use zip-locs, so i'mm wondering which way to go there.

I think I'm sold on the immersion device simply because it's a space-saver.

All comments welcome!

Thanks!

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I just bought the Anova One. Now the fun begins! Smile

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I'm using zip lock bags.

Welcome to the sous vide world!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1152 Posts

Profile of imgic
Due to weather, I'm stuck in Texas for the day. On the bright side, I'll be able to go to Hutchin's BBQ in McKinney. Some of the BEST ribs I've ever come across!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Bob Dog, which unit did you go with?

I have two rib eyes and some green beans in the sous vide bath right now. Bought Crimini mushrooms and Italian parsley for your salad. Adding green tops of scallions and olive oil is flavored with garlic and rosemary (homemade). The Crimini mushrooms really opened up a rather closed '13 Mendocino Pinot. I also put it in an Oregon Pinot glass to soften up the profile. Worked great at that!

Moving on to a new Oregon Pinot from a new winery that tracked me down on Facebook and invited me to their stunning hilltop tasting room while I was in Oregon for Thanksgiving!

How many folks would be interested in wine reviews here?

Cheers!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2015, imgic wrote:
Due to weather, I'm stuck in Texas for the day. On the bright side, I'll be able to go to Hutchin's BBQ in McKinney. Some of the BEST ribs I've ever come across!

Hey Craig, killer ribs are a destination trip! Lucky guy!!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Bob Dog, which unit did you go with?

I have two rib eyes and some green beans in the sous vide bath right now. Bought Crimini mushrooms and Italian parsley for your salad. Adding green tops of scallions and olive oil is flavored with garlic and rosemary (homemade). The Crimini mushrooms really opened up a rather closed '13 Mendocino Pinot. I also put it in an Oregon Pinot glass to soften up the profile. Worked great at that!

Moving on to a new Oregon Pinot from a new winery that tracked me down on Facebook and invited me to their stunning hilltop tasting room while I was in Oregon for Thanksgiving!

How many folks would be interested in wine reviews here?

Cheers!

Tom, we went with the Anova One, which is supposed to be the latest, but it depends on which source I pay attention to. It's the one that was most recommended by Cooking Illustrated magazine. Can't wait to hear how your rib eyes turned out. I'd be striving for rare. Are you bathing the green beans in a separate bag and with other seasoning? I'm curious because I love tender green beans in butter.

I presume by the wine comment on the mushroom salad that you liked it. Did you? It's easily altered to your own tastes.

As for the wine, I'm always looking for good wine pairings and reviews. I'm a red guy myself (Cabs, Malbec, and the typical Bordeaux types, but I also enjoy the Pinots), though I enjoy slightly fruity, yet dry Sauvignon Blancs. Don't like Chardonnays in the least. Far too Oaky, even the ones that aren't supposed to be. So, yes, I'm interested in pursuing wine reviews! Wonder if it shouldn't be in a wine thread?

I also don't spend more than $20 on a bottle of wine, and my typical purchases range between $9 and $15. The last $20 bottle of Kendall Jackson, Vintners Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County 2012, couldn't hold a candle to some of the Chilean and Argentinian wines in the $10 range.

PS Sorry for seeming clueless, but what's an Oregon Pinot glass? I live on the mid-Atlantic coast and hven't heard of it. Wider or narrower?

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Rib eyes were great, but a touch beyond med rare in parts. Dropping them on my grilling pan when super hot pushed them past where I would have liked. They looked spectacular by the way. Just that they ended up on the more medium side of medium rare, rather than than the more rare side.

Beans were in a separate bag with dark soy sauce, sriacha, olive oil and sesame seeds.

An Oregon Pinot glass is flared at the top lip specifically to accentuate the more delicate favors of Oregon Pinot.

Did you go blue tooth or wifi for the Anova unit?

Really liked the earthiness of the mushroom salad, and it showed both the Mendocino and Oregon pinots quite well. Oddly I had just seen a Rachel Ray snippet of her serving a mushroom and parsley pasta. Also got me thinking about a parsley pesto I make which is awesome and really easy to make.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
That's my concern with steaks; medium is just not good enough for me. Rare to Med. Rare is as far as I will go and that's an unknown I'm not wild about. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue as to whether I have blue tooth or wi fi, because I wasn't that interested in either. It's supposed to be the latest model, so it may have both or just one or the other. I guess if I had my druthers I'd go for the blue tooth, but again, it's not a big deal for me. I'll let you know when I get it.

As you can see, here is the model I purchased, but it's not described with either/or: http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Im......0UET2UI2

I'm sure I'll have fun with it though Smile

Glad you liked the mushroom salad.

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I think you got wifi, Bob Dog.

I dialed the bath temp back tonight and took the grilling pan up till it was smoking. Still ended up dead on medium. So I would suggest if you a rare fan, dial the cook temp back 7C if you intend on hitting a grilling pan. Sounds like we share taste in "doneness". I will let you what my mix is that gets me there.

Next day the mushroom salad still kick bootay!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'll let you know, but ya' gotta' admit that it's not well explained in that purchase. Unless I missed something, and if so, I'm curious why you think it's the WiFi. Not that I care, since I was more interested in getting the Anova One and the ones I didn't pull the trigger on for $199, ended up getting sold lickity-split on Amazon, so I went for the ones that were left at the prices that were out there.

We're on the same page with steak. Here's my thoughts even though I have no experience with sous vide. It seems to me the thicker the cut, the easier it will be to achieve rare. Why? I don't know; just an instinct. For me, it's easier to control the doneness on a grill with a thicker cut of beef and for that reason, 1 1/2 inches is minimum thickness of steaks I grill and I have my butcher cut them per order. Two inches is better. Since it's only my wife and I, I'll go for the larger steak in the interest of rareness, with leftovers the next day being quite good.

So I'm thinking sous vide will work in the same manner except that it may take a lot longer to cook. Whaddaya' think?

Am anxious for your updates on the steaks and glad the mushrooms worked well. I love 'em! Smile

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The wifi unit is their latest. I have found that explaining things is not their strength. Pairing the Bluetooth model is not set up intuitively and the search feature on the app is very limited. The unit, however, once you figure it out, is great.

As for steaks, the unit cooks them perfectly, they just have no sear to them. It's the searing (second step) which puts the steaks beyond where I like them. Still trying to figure that out.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
After all that- I'd just say that cheap Chilean wine can be amazing. I'm a red guy btw.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL