We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Bob, you're correct. Try a sous vide London broil. It's thick enough that you can sear the outside and leave the inside rare.

I just got a big pack of vacuum seal bags. I think I'm going to do some rearranging of the kitchen counter tops and cook some sous vide next week. My company's forcing us to take mandatory PTO. Need to find a good sous vide mushroom salad recipe- it sounds delicious. I'll probably be the only one eating it, though. My wife dislikes mushrooms, and, well, my son's only six. His diet consists of corn dogs, mac'n'cheese, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Still planning my pecan smoked turkey for Christmas. Have a 13 pound bird I need to stick in the fridge on Sunday. It's apparently pre-brined, so that's one less worry, but I still need to figure out a rub, or herbs to stick under the skin. I've got rosemary growing in the back yard. Probably should do the old Simon and Garfunkel (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...) Also not sure how much drippings I'll get for gravy, but I'm probably going to pick up some turkey broth and onion skins for a nice dark one. Some other family member's going to have to bring the stuffing. I'm overbooked as it is.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
After all that- I'd just say that cheap Chilean wine can be amazing. I'm a red guy btw.

I agree all the way!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Bob, you're correct. Try a sous vide London broil. It's thick enough that you can sear the outside and leave the inside rare.

I just got a big pack of vacuum seal bags. I think I'm going to do some rearranging of the kitchen counter tops and cook some sous vide next week. My company's forcing us to take mandatory PTO. Need to find a good sous vide mushroom salad recipe- it sounds delicious. I'll probably be the only one eating it, though. My wife dislikes mushrooms, and, well, my son's only six. His diet consists of corn dogs, mac'n'cheese, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Still planning my pecan smoked turkey for Christmas. Have a 13 pound bird I need to stick in the fridge on Sunday. It's apparently pre-brined, so that's one less worry, but I still need to figure out a rub, or herbs to stick under the skin. I've got rosemary growing in the back yard. Probably should do the old Simon and Garfunkel (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...) Also not sure how much drippings I'll get for gravy, but I'm probably going to pick up some turkey broth and onion skins for a nice dark one. Some other family member's going to have to bring the stuffing. I'm overbooked as it is.

Your smoked turkey sounds wonderful; keep us posted!

Thanks for the tip on the London broil; I can definitely work with that!

As for the mushroom salad, you don't need a sous vide to do the one I posted above; check it out, it's really good and stays good as a leftover for a day or two or three in the fridge because if it's cure. It serves well at room temperature. Try it! It's easy and you might like it. Smile

As for PTO, better to use it than lose it; have fun! And Merry Christmas!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I went mushroom crazy when I picked up Criminis for Bob's salad recipe... So I have shiitake in need of use tonight, ready to whip up a mushroom and parsley linguini tonight. Sous vide gets the day off.

Last night's salmon was the most tender and moist salmon I've ever had.

ESN, Smoked turkey is amazing! Do you do the bird complete, or do you chop it up?
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Never done it before, so I'm really hoping it turns out right... Or we'll be making an emergency trip to the Chinese supermarket for some meat of another sort.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
My Anova One sous vide device arrives Monday! Smile

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Never done it before, so I'm really hoping it turns out right... Or we'll be making an emergency trip to the Chinese supermarket for some meat of another sort.

If you don't want to be smoking it for 12 hours, I'd look at chopping it up.

Bob, it will start your wheels spinning on what you can do!
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Soul food Sunday

Smile

I've got a pork shoulder with wet rub in the slow cooker. When we get home later I'm cooking collard greens and mac and cheese.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1152 Posts

Profile of imgic
What Mac and cheese recipe do you use? I did Alton Browns recipe and just wasn't creamy or rich enough...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:

Bob, it will start your wheels spinning on what you can do!

It already has!

Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 20, 2015, imgic wrote:
What Mac and cheese recipe do you use? I did Alton Browns recipe and just wasn't creamy or rich enough...

I have my own; it's pretty creamy and rich. 3 Tbls each butter and flour for the roux added to 4 cups milk makes the sauce thinner than a 4 to 4 ratio, but it thickens after it comes out of the oven. 1 lb of shredded, extra sharp cheddar, about 1 tsp salt and about a 1/2 cup of parm finish out the sauce. 1 lb of pasta shells because they capture the sauce really nice. I top it with some crushed saltines mixed with butter and more cheese.

I'm making some cornbread today too!

And maybe brownies for dessert.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1654 Posts

I also picked up some smoked turkey sausages. After pan grilling they will be awesome with my homemade bbq sauce.

Oh yeah, I'm making homemade bbq sauce. Smile
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
414 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
If somebody is visiting Sydney let me know , we have a great variety of food due to our immigration from all over the world .... Think of something and you can find it in Sydney
If you come around , I will give you a nice list of place to eat depending of your taste
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Question for the sous vide folks:

Just got mine yesterday and haven't prepared anything yet. Trying to get ideas looking at recipes. However I bought a two-pound fresh octopus yesterday that I put in the freezer for later (they say octopus is one of those things that actually is better after freezing than before). Anyone tried octopus with sous vide? My goal is to cook, marinade and grill.

Also, is there any reason one shouldn't take a cryovaced meat, say a rack of lamb and put it directly into the water bath for cooking?

Looking forward to get started with this. Smile

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Shouldn't be an issue with cryo lamb or beef. The bath will get it up to a uniform temp after defrosting it.

Never ever considered octopus. Had the most awesome grilled octopus in Walla Walla Washington a few weeks ago. Have you done a web search on it?
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
414 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
In the same family , here a delicious recipe of a stuff calamari.....
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/stuff......-ripieni
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Shouldn't be an issue with cryo lamb or beef. The bath will get it up to a uniform temp after defrosting it.

Never ever considered octopus. Had the most awesome grilled octopus in Walla Walla Washington a few weeks ago. Have you done a web search on it?

I have searched for and found several recipes for octopus, but I was hoping to find someone who has actually tried it. Like you, I enjoy grilled octopus that's been marinated. The best I've ever had was at a little Italian restaurant in Philadelphia several years ago. Have had many since, but nothing can compare.

Which raises another question, can meat (think octopus) be marinated first, placed in a sous vide pouch and cooked with the marinade? Then grilled after with more marinade? Sounds like a simple question, but when one knows nothing about the process, one questions everything!

I have a cryo rack of lamb that may just be my first foray into sous vide. Smile

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5798 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes, you can sous vide in marinade. Be aware that it may drastically increase the power of the marinade.

I'm going a little crazy right now... Poaching salmon in the shrimp bisque I made last night.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Tom Cutts wrote:
Yes, you can sous vide in marinade. Be aware that it may drastically increase the power of the marinade.

I'm going a little crazy right now... Poaching salmon in the shrimp bisque I made last night.

Smile

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2015, Dr SH wrote:
In the same family , here a delicious recipe of a stuff calamari.....
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/stuff......-ripieni

Calimari is another fave of mine; yet another one to try. So many recipes, so little time!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A foodie thread (116 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL