We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..18~19~20 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And here I thought his point was poor circumstances don't justify criminal behavior or relegate one to a lack of success.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, landmark wrote:
And your point is...? You grew up in a tough neighborhood, so it's okay if criminal thugs use their police badges as cover?

Talk about making excuses.

That post had nothing to do with the police.

What it had to do with, is pointing out that folks like you, who have no real world/life experience in any of this, preach the loudest.

And, you have absolutely no clue, NONE.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
No, his point was that his poor circumstances justify his justification of the Baltimore PD.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
And your point is...? You grew up in a tough neighborhood, so it's okay if criminal thugs use their police badges as cover?

What it had to do with, is pointing out that folks like you, who have no real world/life experience in any of this.

"any of this..."

Why don't you explain what you mean by "any of this." Spell it out, K.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
No, his point was that his poor circumstances justify his justification of the Baltimore PD.

What gave you that impression?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
And here I thought his point was poor circumstances don't justify criminal behavior or relegate one to a lack of success.

Yeah. Seemed pretty clear to me to. But hey, that doesn't fit their agenda to which they are brainwashed in believing.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

I thought his post was all about how poor circumstances forced him into criminal behavior. His words:

"I survived by coming under the tutelage of two black hustlers. They taught me to fight and they showed this white boy the ways of the con...dice, cards, pool and life."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That too!

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
His post states how they TAUGHT him the ways. Says nothing about that he acted and put "those ways" into action.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What it had to do with, is pointing out that folks like you, who have no real world/life experience in any of this.

"any of this..."

If you are going to truncate my post, please do it without selective punctuation.

"Any of this" meaning actually having any experience in being poor, ridiculed, being beat up, having to work for school clothes (at ten years old), and being resentful of others, because of their better circumstance.

Feeling the heat and choking on the smoke from buildings burning around you, and being scared for your mother and uncle...at eleven years old (1968 riots).

Seeing the dead bodies of your friends in alleys because of bad decisions in crap games.

Having handcuffs put on so tight that your thumbs are numb for weeks.

Sliding around in the back of paddy wagons with those tight cuffs biting in your wrists. All of my arrests were before seat belts were installed.

Nights in lockup wondering if you were going to be recogged in the morning.

I lived it...and got out of it.

RIP, Mom.

Thank you, my beloved United States Army!

This is part of my "any of this."
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, RNK wrote:
His post states how they TAUGHT him the ways. Says nothing about that he acted and put "those ways" into action.

He also clearly stated, ""I survived by coming under the tutelage of two black hustlers."

How could that tutelage possibly have enabled him to survive if he didn't put it to use?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy

"Buy when there is blood in the streets"
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
How does doing nothing help the cause?

Sorry John but this happens to be the biggest disingenuous load of crap ever.

Who advocated doing nothing? I certainly never once even hinted that this was the solution.

You put it out there in response to me asking how hurting innocent people would help. Then in an obvious attempt to equate the two you put this up as if I actually advocated doing nothing. Fact is people ARE out there hurting innocent people. So this is a load and you know full well it is a load. But you want to try to sneak it past the goalie.

I have said MANY times the the underlying social causes need to be dealt with. I have said many times that until we do that we are treating only a symptom not the disease. That helps nobody. So to ascribe a position of doing nothing being helpful to me is just disingenuous. I never said or implied to do nothing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
How does the hurting of innocent people help the cause again? I am fuzzy on that part and how destroying your own neighborhoods helps.

What's happening in Baltimore is an effect.

Until the underlying causes are dealt with the effect will continue.

Putting aside the rioters and the looters, who are just wrong of course, what do you think is the "cause" the sincere protesters are marching for Danny, and do they have a legitimate complaint?

I like the way you phrased this question. YES they have a complaint. YES there is an issue and I have said many times it is an underlying social problem that needs to be dealt with. Also the perception that everyone is against them in the system. ANY system that has a group who thinks (Rightly or wrongly.) that the system is stacked against them and their experience tends to back this up is a MAJOR flaw and needs to be dealt with.

Now also the race peddlers crying racism when it does not exist are a MAJOR part of the problem. Politicians who use poor people as votes and never help them are a MAJOR part of the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Imagine taking your family out to what you assume would be a pleasant outing at the ball park, and, instead, dealing with this!

While you're imagining, imagine you are one of these people:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch....../391158/

Correct. For many people, *imagining* taking their family to the ball park is all they can afford.

If you want to exercise your imagination, educate yourself about people and places outside your own limited scope and then imagine yourself in their shoes.

White or Black, if you are a person that has drive and ambition you can succeed in America. Your racial inequality reference has passed by. We have our first biracial president. If racial inequality and racism was still a major problem this would have never happened.

Please, those (whether white or black) that act like animals, lacking disrespect and show no personal self perseverance will never get ahead or be employable.

Imagine kids growing up in families that have a much greater percentage than 73% that have both parents to raise them. Imagine if the percentage of kids being born out of wedlock decreased.

Use your imagination to see how much better the kids would turn out. Imagine instead of rioting these particular people gathered to discuss what THEY need to do and change to ensure a better quality of life for themselves and their kids.

Just Imagine!!

You make sort of a false comparison. The rioters and looters have nothing to do with biracial presidents. Racial inequity still exists. Real or perceived it is a problem.

It is not as easy to see being white though. I do not see it as much as I am white. But I do not deny it either. (OR exaggerate it.) Denying it does not make it go away though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
All human beings are criminals.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"I tried to believe in Baltimore, but the despair was too much"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-deb......4149659/

Sarah Richards is a Canadian freelance writer and radio producer in Baltimore. She writes:

One of the first times I visited Baltimore was for an article I was writing about teenage girls and their daydreams for Seventeen Magazine. Most of the interviews I conducted were in the Inner Harbour, a quaint, touristy area downtown. I interviewed a young woman who worked at a fast food outlet, as well as several people walking around.

A few years later, I moved to Baltimore with my husband. He got a job at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which I've heard a few people half-jokingly refer to as 'the Plantation.' The university and hospital that make up Johns Hopkins are in many ways this city’s real government – the biggest employer, home to many scientific breakthroughs and the last great connection Baltimore has to its Halcyon days.

The first week I was there, the maintenance man who took care of the apartment my husband and I were renting told me that he used to live in the city until all of the 'niggers' moved in.

As the months passed, I did stories that took me to different neighbourhoods in Baltimore. I learned where the poor people lived, where the blacks lived and where the whites lived. I learned how these neighbourhoods did not mix. I saw streets in which every single home had fallen victim to abandonment and blight, with boarded up windows, crumbling bricks ... save for a single hold-out, perched in the middle of the street or almost seeming to hang on at the end of it. In the poorest neighbourhoods, people thought I was an undercover police officer, not a journalist.

I also learned where the wealthy people lived – many live several miles outside of the city, in hidden-away areas.

Our apartment looked on to one of the oldest parks in America. We would watch the prostitutes walk the street, and once saw a man repeatedly smash a woman’s head on his car dashboard over a cigarette.

Still, we wanted to believe - after all, that was long the city's motto, 'believe' - so we bought a house a few years later. There, we watched from our deck as a drug addict washed his syringe out in a muddy pool in our laneway. Later, down the street, I saw the Korean corner store owner chase two kids out of his store with his hand on a pistol tucked in his waistband. On two separate occasions, I caught the same man twice breaking in to my neighbour’s residence. The house next door was home to several young women working for Teach for America. On the second burglary attempt, I confronted the man in the laneway. He was holding a shoulder-bag of my neighbour’s goodies in one hand and a flat screen TV in the other.

By then, we owned a 90-pound German shepherd, and I'd leashed him and brought him with me. I told the man that if he did not put my neighbours' possessions down, I’d let my dog on him.

'I'll slice your dog,' he said.

Fortunately, he dropped the TV and the police were able to apprehend him a few blocks away. Thomas Rivera went to jail for more than a year. Even more fortunate: I was eligible for a witness safety program that alerted my parents in Alberta when Rivera would be getting out of jail. Better still: I had moved by the time he was released.

I call it my seven year tour of duty. My husband and I moved out to the county, in one of those hidden neighbourhoods that nobody in Baltimore City - at least nobody in its most devastated areas - probably even knows exist. I always wonder what those people would do if they knew of the beautiful neighbourhoods and university-like private schools that are only a 15-minute car ride from their Third World existence. Perhaps we're getting a very small taste of that this week.

Last year, Baltimore lost, yet again, more residents. It’s basically been losing residents for six decades. They leave because they're tired of the crime, because there are more jobs elsewhere, because there are better public schools elsewhere. And they leave because they can.

I left because I hated what it was doing to my mind. I hated the desperation and depression in front of me. I hated having to be aware of my surroundings while walking on the street. I hated seeing children who knew they had no future. And I hated watching our neighbour chase barefoot after her boyfriend, who had recently gotten out of jail and walked out of the house one day with her baby girl. She was screaming and hitting him in the middle of the street, trying to rip the baby out of his arms.

I could tell you about the wonderful people giving their lives to make that city work. The two old nuns who ran an after-school program across from our house that quite literally saved lives. Some I did stories on, like the refugee from Rwanda who on a shoe-string budget was helping other refugees settle in Baltimore. Or the woman who had opened up a shelter for battered Muslim women in her own home.

There are many of them in Baltimore, but are there enough? I'm ashamed to say I wasn't one of them.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:

From an individual point of view, it all seems pretty bleak. My guess is that the rioters mainly fall into two groups.

1. Those that are expressing their rage at injustice.
2. Those who are caught up in the storm and are quite simply riding out the experience.

Taking a long view, perhaps the central issue--institutional and ingrained injustice--will be addressed in some way. Time will tell.

Is that the dichotomy? Doing nothing or looting & torching a CVS?

Now you understand the MLK quote.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5041 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"any of this..."

If you are going to truncate my post, please do it without selective punctuation.

"Any of this" meaning actually having any experience in being poor, ridiculed, being beat up, having to work for school clothes (at ten years old), and being resentful of others, because of their better circumstance.

Feeling the heat and choking on the smoke from buildings burning around you, and being scared for your mother and uncle...at eleven years old (1968 riots).

Seeing the dead bodies of your friends in alleys because of bad decisions in crap games.

Having handcuffs put on so tight that your thumbs are numb for weeks.

Sliding around in the back of paddy wagons with those tight cuffs biting in your wrists. All of my arrests were before seat belts were installed.

Nights in lockup wondering if you were going to be recogged in the morning.

I lived it...and got out of it.

RIP, Mom.

Thank you, my beloved United States Army!

This is part of my "any of this."

It's an interesting, maybe even touching story, Kabbalah, even allowing for the insulting personal assumptions.
And completely irrelevant to the thread.
Unless you are walking around in blackface, you have as much experience growing up Black as I do.
And that's what this thread is about. People are rioting in Baltimore because they feel oppressed as Black people.
You're entitled to your opinion--but your opinion has no more value than anyone else's, with or without your hanging out with some hustlers.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From an individual point of view, it all seems pretty bleak. My guess is that the rioters mainly fall into two groups.

1. Those that are expressing their rage at injustice.
2. Those who are caught up in the storm and are quite simply riding out the experience.

Taking a long view, perhaps the central issue--institutional and ingrained injustice--will be addressed in some way. Time will tell.

Is that the dichotomy? Doing nothing or looting & torching a CVS?

Now you understand the MLK quote.

I'm not sure I do, or, alternatively, I'm not sure I understand it as you understand it. But if I do, I don't agree with it.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL