The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I may be wrong, but I do not think anyone here has said the rioting in Baltimore was / is justified. So I think you are not alone so far as what is happening in Baltimore goes. Poorly phrased by me, but you know what I mean (I think).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think Randwill trying to hedge.

I think if there is misconduct I fail to see how destruction of citizens private property helps or is justified no matter what.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, balducci wrote:
I may be wrong, but I do not think anyone here has said the rioting in Baltimore was / is justified. So I think you are not alone so far as what is happening in Baltimore goes. Poorly phrased by me, but you know what I mean (I think).

I was just addressing your question about under what circumstances rioting would be justified (if any). I'm not implying that anyone here thinks it is. I'm just sayi if we're talking about Baltimore-style rioting, we're not within light-years of anything that would justify it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes over 5000 Americans have been killed by American police since 9/11, so I also don’t know why they don’t now consider each new police killing as the new normal, stay calm and carry on.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, Randwill wrote:
Americans are going to have to get used to the police angrily executing suspects.

Yep. Sad. But, what are you going to DO about it? Riot? ROFL! Tear up your OWN neighborhood? LOL! Go ahead! Nobody's gonna feel sorry for ya!

And the cops will do what they always do. Mistakes will always be made. My suggestion? Don't run from a cop! Ya ain't gonna get away! Ya might just get SHOT! No brainer. Ya do the crime? Ya do the TIME! Or die.

Doug
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As a boy from the bland prairies, I did not grow up with a taste for spicy food. Many years ago I was with a bunch of Texans in a Chicago restaurant. Chips and salsa appeared on the table. I dipped and bit. "Oh, that's bit spicy for me," I said. One of the Texan's eyes lit up, as he quickly grabbed a chip and scooped up a mess of salsa. He frowned, looked at me and said, "Oh, you were kidding." I kept quiet.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hijacker.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Perhaps there's a reason they're called Baltimorons.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2785 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There should be no violence in the streets. It should be limited to police vans and interrogation rooms.

Is the implication here that somehow it is justified?

Police violence against suspects? No. Not justified.

Now that you are done being allegedly clever let me clarify.
Rioting to protest it. Is THAT justified in your mind?

Protesting yes. Rioting no.

So then you agree that what is going on there is not justified. Is that correct?

I agree that looting and destruction of property is unfortunate. People do notice it though don't they?

Which statement do you agree with? American police are going to have to learn that they can't angrily execute suspects. Or, Americans are going to have to get used to the police angrily executing suspects.

What if they execute them happily instead of "angrily"?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There should be no violence in the streets. It should be limited to police vans and interrogation rooms.

Is the implication here that somehow it is justified?

Police violence against suspects? No. Not justified.

Now that you are done being allegedly clever let me clarify.
Rioting to protest it. Is THAT justified in your mind?

Protesting yes. Rioting no.

So then you agree that what is going on there is not justified. Is that correct?

I agree that looting and destruction of property is unfortunate. People do notice it though don't they?

Which statement do you agree with? American police are going to have to learn that they can't angrily execute suspects. Or, Americans are going to have to get used to the police angrily executing suspects.

I agree that executing suspects is unfortunate.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, tommy wrote:
Like the Boston tea party you mean?

Tommy raises a good question. Would we gentle, kind, law-abiding denizens of NVMS condemn the destruction of private property in the Boston Tea Party? Why or why not?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Who will be Baltimore's Benjamin Franklin, insisting that all of the destroyed private property must be paid for?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are we equating rioting like this with the founding of America?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Danny: I'm asking a curious question. When does the destruction of private property constitute legitimate protest? The tea did not belong to the British government. Is there a moral difference? If so, what is it?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are we equating rioting like this with the founding of America?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I'm not. I'm comparing the destruction of private property in protest to the destruction of private property in protest.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Is the destruction of private property in Baltimore being done "in protest"?

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Is the destruction of private property in Baltimore being done "in protest"?

Great question. Probably some is and some isn't. Some is probably unfocused rage. Some is probably going along for the ride. Some is probably opportunism. And some is probably calculated protest.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm not. I'm comparing the destruction of private property in protest to the destruction of private property in protest.

Are you saying that all of those buildings and vehicles is a justified protest? Throw in some looting (got to have looting). Even if those affected by these so called protests had nothing to do with Gary's death? Let them know where you live and burn your house in protest. Or at least spray paint it just do a few thousand dollars in damage to show that they protest. Win, win. They are happy and you helped them protest. Put a few of your valuables on the lawn so they can loot them easily while destroying your property with fire and paint.. The get back to me about the Boston Tea Party.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL