The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dude is everyone that attends a soccer match part of the problem during a riot? There is a group of hooligans that start most of those things at soccer matches. Not everyone in the crowd is a rioter.

As for this you now want private citizens to somehow put down a riot?

See we have the right to peaceful assembly. They exercised that right. Now because someone else comes along and riots they are part of the problem? Then now because they didn't put down the riot they are part of the problem. Wow. Nice. I am going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that it hardly seems fair.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I'd hardly compare it to a soccer match, where the anticipation is that there won't be a problem. If people congregate for the reasons that they did so in Ferguson and Baltimore, they could pretty much count on the fact that there would be trouble. Just because they have the right to assemble doesn't mean that it's always the wise thing to do. Does anyone really believe that these types of protests do anything to solve the problem? If anything they just continue to fan the flames.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
What problem?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On May 23, 2015, tommy wrote:
What problem?

If you don't know, it's probably fruitless to try to explain it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Would it be more or less fruitful to riot if you did or didn’t know the problem?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
Would it be more or less fruitful to riot if you did or didn’t know the problem?

I'm pretty sure most of the trouble makers are there just for the riot.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think the cops are the trouble makers in these cases and it depends on if they like trouble or not as to if it solves the problem.

Tommy
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On May 23, 2015, NicholasD wrote:
Just because they have the right to assemble doesn't mean that it's always the wise thing to do. Does anyone really believe that these types of protests do anything to solve the problem?

See, the way I figure it is simple: If you are AT HOME, and NOT out "assembling", it is MOST likely you will NOT be shot dead! Or arrested. Or beat up and put in a van. How many time do I have to say this?

Stay the F- home!

Doug
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
I think the cops are the trouble makers in these cases and it depends on if they like trouble or not as to if it solves the problem.

You're joking, right?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 24, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
Just because they have the right to assemble doesn't mean that it's always the wise thing to do. Does anyone really believe that these types of protests do anything to solve the problem?

See, the way I figure it is simple: If you are AT HOME, and NOT out "assembling", it is MOST likely you will NOT be shot dead! Or arrested. Or beat up and put in a van. How many time do I have to say this?

Stay the F- home!

Doug

And if you give up you're freedom of speech, you'll never be sued for slander, too!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:

Stay the F- home!

Doug

Well, that is just asking for trouble.

https://www.rutherford.org/publications_......nctioned
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 24, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stay the F- home!

Doug

And if you give up you're freedom of speech, you'll never be sued for slander, too!

*your (of course)
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So I guess the idea is to give up your freedom because others misbehave. Don't wear that skirt or you are asking for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You don't have to give up your freedoms, but rather choose safe and responsible ways to utilize them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Stay inside Don't assemble. You have freedom just so you use it in certain ways. It is not illegal but you will be based a rioter just because others do. Doesn't that seem a bit contradictory?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Not at all. There are times we require people to stay inside. For example, during times of emergency we may put curfews in place. One is not a rioter simply because they assemble, but I think there is an expectation of PEACEFUL assembly. If you start to loot and block passage via roads, then you have become a mob and are a rioter.

Freedom still requires responsibility and limits. Freedom does not mean "anything goes".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Historically, civil disobedience and organized protest have been VERY effective in changing oppressive conditions. The idea that protests "don't do any good" is simply incorrect.

I think the American Founding Fathers would agree. As would the heroes of the civil rights movement.

Very often protests bring attention to wrongs and problems that would have otherwise been ignored or swept under the carpet.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yes they do and have. But they can also have a negative affect if people use it as an excuse to commit crimes and put others at danger, which we have been seeing a lot of lately.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So why curb the rights of those who obey the law? That is as stupid as taking away guns from law abiding citizens because some use them badly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'm not sure how you would define "curbing" rights, and I know from past experience if I respond based upon how I perceive it, you are VERY quick to jump down my throat. My only suggestion was that people have a responsibility to express their opinions wisely. There are consequences for bad behavior, and unfortunately the good folks usually have to suffer for the actions of a few bad ones.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stay safe in Baltimore (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL