The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo TV Spot (video) & Thoughts on Magic for the Camera (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Tom, what is your point?

1. No one said anything about "taking over and producing the show"
2. No one said anything about "a free 5 minute commercial"
3. Many of Copperfield's t.v. spots he does not perform
4. "Just being yourself" is terrible advice when most here asking for such information know and understand that is not enough, what they are seeking, and know they have no understanding or experience in this area, so why would they want to be their uneducated, uninformed and inexperienced selves?
5. I believe if you ask those here they have no idea what you are saying or attempting with your points

I would think the positive encouragement would at a basic level as you often offer would be to become as familiar and educated with it BEFORE you are in that position. That is sound advice.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
MIndpro, my point is, stop belittling at everything I say and list something.
You haven’t said one thing to actually help.

Now please list it and move on so I can hush.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
List what? Ask them, no one understands what the heck you are talking about and even more it's purpose to this discussion.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
List what? Ask them, no one understands what the heck you are talking about and even more it's purpose to this discussion.

I beg to differ, I have offered plenty to this thread, sorry you once again fail to understand this.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
I still say no TV station worth watching is going to give the magician a free 5 minute unpaid commercial. That’s not going to happen.
Problem is, there are not a lot of magicians with superstar status. Not even Copperfield gets to sit down and talk for long without doing some magic.

BUT Please, don’t let me stop anyone here from just listing the ways:
I agree this could be helpful to many. A list would be a Great
I don't have any to list, so I promise I'm going to just sit back and learn.
Tom

Here is one thought - Perhaps Brian could have arranged with the manager of Dave and Busters to appear with him and discuss how two entertainment companies are coming together to create a unique entertainment experience and shift the focus to be more about the value of businesses partnering to create new opportunities for the community.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Excellent idea charliechecker.

Thanks

Now that we finally have ONE I will sign off.

Tom
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
I beg to differ, I have offered plenty to this thread, sorry you once again fail to understand this.

For whatever reason, some cannot (or choose not to) understand conceptual advice. It is the most important advice I receive because it allows me to apply it to my particular circumstances. Any other advice only allows me to approach the suggestion from the writers perspective, not my own. Not sure why some do not see it that way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
I still say no TV station worth watching is going to give the magician a free 5 minute unpaid commercial. That’s not going to happen.
Problem is, there are not a lot of magicians with superstar status. Not even Copperfield gets to sit down and talk for long without doing some magic.

BUT Please, don’t let me stop anyone here from just listing the ways:
I agree this could be helpful to many. A list would be a Great

I don't have any to list, so I promise I'm going to just sit back and learn.

Tom

Here is your problem Tom. In an absolutely desperate attempt to be taken seriously you make up things people are saying. NOBODY said or implied that anyone would give you an unpaid commercial or that anyone should even ask for such a thing. NOBODY said not to do some magic.

But in your zeal to construct your ridiculous straw man arguments you forgot the following. MANY LOCAL TV stations do EXACTLY what you claim never happens. They have the community segments, around town segments and so forth. They amount to little more than a 5 minute unpaid commercial. To which you say "No TV station worth watching is going to give a magician a free 5 minute unpaid commercial. That's not going to happen." But indeed it happens fairly regularly. I am absolutely SHOCKED someone with all your vast television experience you didn't know this.

So there is ONE example Tom. But by all means keep up the sarcasm and keep trying to seem clever. It is working out so good. Even though it is a ridiculous straw man argument you were absolutely WRONG. Learning anything yet?

But more to the point is that nobody said to do such a thing. Nobody suggested to do that. It is a creation out of your own mind. Then you want to act as if this is the advice that we are giving people.

It is this EXACT thing that is so strange. You obviously have no experience in what it is you are talking about. (You being the worlds foremost authority not withstanding.) Yet you want your opinion to be taken seriously. I have said it 1,000 times. I have ZERO experience in doing or booking kids shows. I have no idea how to do so. So I DON'T TALK ABOUT DOING THEM. I do not even offer an opinion. Same with web marketing. No experience, no opinion offered.

It is a simple equation for me.

If you don't know, why say anything? If you don't know, why then argue?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I've been following this thread as it's a topic that is of interest to me, but I have to admit that all the bickering that's been going on is a real turn off. I don't know if people would talk to each other in the same way if they were face to face. I for one don't get it, but that's one of the reasons I don't post here very often.

With that being said, there has been plenty of good information worthy of pondering, and they are things I will definitely take into consideration if I ever have another opportunity to be on television.

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to be a guest on a local university show called CUatUSC. It's a show run by students at the USC campus, and it airs live on a local cable channel, and then posted on their TrojanVision website. The first 12 minutes or so consisted of an interview with the last 12 minutes consisting of a close-up magic performance with the host.

Questions were emailed to me prior to the taping, and even though the topics veered off course, it was still a fun show to do.

There were two reasons I took this opportunity. The first objective was to gain experience. There isn't any better teacher than experience. I have very little experience when it comes to TV appearances. I've done a handful of appearances in 21 years of being a professional magician. It's something that I may pursue with more diligence for my speaking career, so I figured I better get more flight time under my belt. I'm glad I did it, because it helped increase my confidence that I have something worthwhile to say.

The second objective was to get a .edu link from their site to mine. I figured it would be a valuable asset to have for SEO rankings. I must have asked at least a dozen times if they can link to my website. Each time they confirmed that they would do so. The episode still hasn't been posted to their website, so it still remains to be seen if they follow through on their promise.

I was just notified today that the episode I did for CUatUSC just won Trojan Vision's award for Best Special Episode. It may seem that the award may not do anything for me, but at the very least it will probably increase my chances of being asked back. I also made some very nice connections with people who will soon be entering the industry as professionals.

I think if people take the valuable info they've learned from this thread, they can maximize the effectiveness of their objects in doing TV appearances. Does that means things will go perfectly? Probably not, but the more TV spots you do, the better you'll get. In the end, I think it's important to know why you're doing it and to have fun. If you're not enjoying the process, don't do it.

BTW, I thought Brian did an excellent job. I don't mind being a cheerleader for good people who are taking chances and making things happen, so to Brian I offer a BIG congratulations!

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be clear Lou EVERYONE said Brian did an excellent job.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Danny, I wasn't implying that anyone didn't. I was just offering my own congratulatory remarks, but thanks for clearing that up.

Lou
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You added wonderful perspective also. Just being clear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I will contribute this link to a blog post about my first TV appearance. Originally I did not want to share this blog with magicians however I have let it fall by the wayside. It was intended for the general public, not magicians. Looking back it was really more of just a personal journal and not ideal content for the general public.

Here is the link to my first and only TV appearance in October 2013 and what I learned from it: http://www.timfridayblog.com/firsttvappearance/
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I'm with Lou - the endless bickering is getting old and unproductive.

Josh
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Tim Friday wrote:
I will contribute this link to a blog post about my first TV appearance. Originally I did not want to share this blog with magicians however I have let it fall by the wayside. It was intended for the general public, not magicians. Looking back it was really more of just a personal journal and not ideal content for the general public.

Here is the link to my first and only TV appearance in October 2013 and what I learned from it: http://www.timfridayblog.com/firsttvappearance/

Great recap and insights. What you've experienced is much along the lines of the things I am referring to. You think you know or have an idea, yet when it occurs you soon realize you had no idea, control or even awareness of everything entailed. No matter how much you "think" you know and "think" you've prepared, you really haven't and cant without first learning, understanding and knowing the needs, interest, intricacies and otherrelated specifics of doing such media appearances. As I say, it is a performance market, and just like any market you wouldn't even think of just jumping in without any knowledge or experience. And if you did, seriously expect your desired results.

This also contributes to what I refer to when I say 99% of all magicians on t.v. ALL look the same, and end up with the exact same afterthoughts, regrets or "next time I'm gonna...." type of thoughts as you do.

As Brian mentioned, most do not do enough of these to ever really learn to and get good at it. Heck, many in broadcasting themselves take years to understand it. Look at small and even medium market anchors, reporters, newscasters and talkshow hosts - they are very green and often terrible and hard to even listen to and watch. There is a reality series on t.v. something about Greenville and it is the small town operations of two local television stations, it's hilarious, and these people are the type of green that I refer to.

It is a process, it is a very unique performance market, but the good news is it can be taught and learned. It requires a completely different understanding of the medium and how to bets adapt you and what you do to that medium. Television specifically itself makes it difficult for us to be good. The Producers say, understand and promise you one thing, and yet the hosts, crew and director often never receive this information, reject it, or simply pay no attention to it. You have to know how to deal with this and how to execute this on all levels.

Even when most performers show up at the station, they offer very little help, assistance or insight other than a quick (usually less than 30 seconds) overview of what's about to happen. Time alone changes drastically. I can't tell you how many times they will tell you your segment in to be "x" amount of time long, and it almost always is never as they have told you. It often appears as if one hand doesn't communicate with the other if you do not understand it and it's process.

There is so much we can get into here but typing it all out makes it difficult and then some seem to take things differently than intended.

With the release of my book I will either be releasing an accompanying audio program or perhaps a webinar as it can be more interactive. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you done a anther t.v. spot since?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Mindpro - If you have a few minutes, please send me a PM or email contact at brianmillermagic dot com. I have a really, really major upcoming event that I could use your advice. I really appreciate your time.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On May 6, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Great recap and insights. What you've experienced is much along the lines of the things I am referring to. You think you know or have an idea, yet when it occurs you soon realize you had no idea, control or even awareness of everything entailed. No matter how much you "think" you know and "think" you've prepared, you really haven't and cant without first learning, understanding and knowing the needs, interest, intricacies and otherrelated specifics of doing such media appearances. As I say, it is a performance market, and just like any market you wouldn't even think of just jumping in without any knowledge or experience. And if you did, seriously expect your desired results.

This also contributes to what I refer to when I say 99% of all magicians on t.v. ALL look the same, and end up with the exact same afterthoughts, regrets or "next time I'm gonna...." type of thoughts as you do.

As Brian mentioned, most do not do enough of these to ever really learn to and get good at it. Heck, many in broadcasting themselves take years to understand it. Look at small and even medium market anchors, reporters, newscasters and talkshow hosts - they are very green and often terrible and hard to even listen to and watch. There is a reality series on t.v. something about Greenville and it is the small town operations of two local television stations, it's hilarious, and these people are the type of green that I refer to.

It is a process, it is a very unique performance market, but the good news is it can be taught and learned. It requires a completely different understanding of the medium and how to bets adapt you and what you do to that medium. Television specifically itself makes it difficult for us to be good. The Producers say, understand and promise you one thing, and yet the hosts, crew and director often never receive this information, reject it, or simply pay no attention to it. You have to know how to deal with this and how to execute this on all levels.

Even when most performers show up at the station, they offer very little help, assistance or insight other than a quick (usually less than 30 seconds) overview of what's about to happen. Time alone changes drastically. I can't tell you how many times they will tell you your segment in to be "x" amount of time long, and it almost always is never as they have told you. It often appears as if one hand doesn't communicate with the other if you do not understand it and it's process.

There is so much we can get into here but typing it all out makes it difficult and then some seem to take things differently than intended.

With the release of my book I will either be releasing an accompanying audio program or perhaps a webinar as it can be more interactive. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you done a anther t.v. spot since?

Mindpro, thank you for taking the time to watch and read my blog post, and especially thanks for your comments. I am very interested in your book.

I have not done another tv spot since. I haven't pursued it. I would like to, however I also dread it because I get so worked up and nervous about it. Like Brian I believe it is extremely important to prepare for a tv spot because just a few minutes on tv could potentially be broadcast to millions - live at the time of the spot, and/or afterwards on youtube.

I agree with what you and Lou and others were saying, this is an interesting topic but I don't appreciate bringing arguments into the thread. Sometimes when there is so much bickering I wonder "where is the moderator?..."

I was hoping by contributing the link to my blog post about the 3 lessons I learned from my tv spot it might help things get back on topic and add to the conversation.

I will add: I had emailed Eugene Burger in preparation for this spot and he gave me some good advice, basically saying make it about me and more than just the magic trick, which seems to be similar to some of your points. Hopefully I will do this more next time.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree and understand your concerns. Like me, now responding to your post, when doing so, I am sitting down and specifically address your post and content. It is intended for you, as a reply, however where it gets problematic is when others see it, and for whatever reaosn feel comelled to enter into the discussion. Yes, it's an open forum, but the post is addressed to one person. Yes, otehrs can learn and often follow such posts. Where it becomes problematic is when otehrs chiem in on a targeted discussion, This is where derailment and as you said "bickering" can easily start.

There are many posts here that I could say much about but don't because it may be between two specific people where the rest of us are only spectators. Sure these could be PMs but many others can learn and absorb which is the benefit to a forum. As Danny mentioned, I also don't chime into things, posts or topics of which I don't have experience, knowledge or interest. If someone is better qualified to respond, address or assist, I prefer to step back and let those people chime in. I still learn from this as well. I've always found it to be much more productive that way and beneficial to those serious about the topic.

Others obviously don't approach it the same way. It's a shame because members become hesitant to post here for fear of such activity. Instead my PM box gets filled nearly daily. Today it was at 61 PMs. I didn't even think that was possible, but it was.

The bottom line for me is this. Press and media (t.v., radio newspapers, magazines) are all extremely popular and credible resources that most performers simply fail to understand and utilize. Instead they focus on social meadia, SEO, Adword campaigns, pay-per-click, direct mail, listing services, directory advertising and so on. These all have a place and can be excellent tools and resources. This is fine, but in many of these cases they are both costly and only reach a limited number of people or reach as targets. Media can work the same but also has the ability to offer so much more and greater opportunities and results, and best of all, it is completely free.

So first most fail to realize and understand it, and then if they do they really don't know how (or where to turn) to become educated, skilled and experienced in this area. Sure, you will get some that claim they know, or because they have done some press, think they know, but again the clips and coverage show that they really don't. Yes, it's a thrill and ego-boost initially, but that will not progress your business or create results. You are leaving opportunity and perhaps ultimately money on the table.

Appearing on or on media is even different for entertainers. It includes it's own set of uniquenesses, both positive and negative.

Eugene was absolutely correct. Just like in any live performance, if they like you first, they will likely like (how's that for some wording) what you have to offer. There is a logical progression to doing media, and performing your magic is the last of them. If that becomes the focus, you are "just a magician", and operator, executor of magic (or music, some, comedy, or whatever the discipline), you are not the personality or entertainer, the business or the skilled specialist.

You have to position, present and sell. You also have to play to the mediums themselves. This is impossible to do without having a deeper understanding and working knowledge of each media. I can look at a clock or watch a hundred times a day, but that in no way gives me an understanding of being a watchmaker.

Look who expressing interest - Danny, Brian, Lou, yourself and others of a specific level. Even longtime skilled professionals do not have that much knowledge or experience in press and media. The ones that should be listening and learning the most are those not at that level yet as it offers them the very most. It is easier than ever to get press and media (mainstream and secondary medias as I call them which are more online, social media, networking, viral, etc.)

I literally believe I could get anyone that has a decent polished and perfected act in the media in just a couple of weeks anywhere in America. As I said it is not difficult. But it what happens once you have the opportunity.

As promised this year will bring the release of my press and media book and then later my book on the truths, insights and understanding of working with agents and agencies which always creates much interest and perspective as there are so many misperceptions and,misunderstandings in this area as well.

In the upcoming week I will get into more and I am confident others here will too as long as they are not derailed, detoured or put off by others when trying to do so. To me this is Tricky Business at it's best (when you can directly apply and advance your business based on direct content here). Stay tuned, it's about to get good.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
So here is my contribution to this thread. The episode I did for CUatUSC is finally up on the Trojan Vision website. As I stated before, there were two objectives in doing the spot. The first was to get experience in front of the camera. Watching the episode is a little tough for me, because like most people, I'm my own worst critic. I learned a lot just from watching the spot. If I could do it over again, I'd tell myself to SLOW DOWN! That's where experience comes in. Next time I'll be much more aware.

The second objective was to get a link from their website to mine. Although they list my website in the description, it's not an actual link. I must have asked at least 20 times for a link. In the end they did what they wanted. C'est la vie.

I realize I may open myself to criticism by posting the link, but if others had the guts to post their own links, I should do the same. Here's a link to the episode for those who are interested. http://trojanvision.usc.edu/ep-52-422201......ren-day/

At the end of the day, it was a fun experience, and I'm glad I did it.

Lou Serrano
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Lou, I didn't get to watch the whole thing yet, but I will say: I've done a handful of spots with the format you had here and felt much, much better about them than my recent spot. In that format, the 30 minute show is about you and your work. It's a full profile, which gave you plenty of time to do a proper interview, talk a bit more in depth about who you are and your work, before getting down to the magic. When I've done those long 30 minute interviews I've really enjoyed myself.

Contrast that with the 3-5 min morning show spot where you're just a quick guest, I don't come away feeling good about them. Thanks for sharing, I'll watch more later!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promo TV Spot (video) & Thoughts on Magic for the Camera (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL