The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
The carbs are different. Healthy carbs are more complex in their molecular structure, and therefore have more in them theat helps the body. Also, They take longer to covert to sugar, and that makes you feel full longer.

Do you have a reference for that? I'd like to know more.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
There was a set of twins in the 80's called The Barbarians. I just read a sample of their diet (I think they consumed lots of both simple and complex carbs, and seemed to out-exercising their diet):

They drink a quart before working out and another quart after, adding occasional packets of Hostess Cup Cakes. Counting regular, more or less nutritionally balanced meals, including not quite so many eggs, the twins eat every half hour or so all day long. At night, watching television, they snack on Popsicles, ice cream, cookies, Doritos and Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal, maintaining, withal, a scant 6% body fat, impressive by anybody's count.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
The carbs are different. Healthy carbs are more complex in their molecular structure, and therefore have more in them theat helps the body. Also, They take longer to covert to sugar, and that makes you feel full longer.

Do you have a reference for that? I'd like to know more.

I don't. I am diabetic, so I have learned various things about carb counting.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Intrepid wrote:
Does the Atkin diet distinguishes between healthy carbs and other carbs?

I'm afraid to ask. Ok. What's the difference between "healthy carbs" and the others?

This is from the Hardard School of Health:
"Carbohydrates: quality matters

"What's most important is the type of carbohydrate you chose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries."
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
Bob
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does the Atkin diet distinguishes between healthy carbs and other carbs?

I'm afraid to ask. Ok. What's the difference between "healthy carbs" and the others?

This is from the Hardard School of Health:
"Carbohydrates: quality matters

"What's most important is the type of carbohydrate you chose to eat because some sources are healthier than others. The amount of carbohydrate in the diet – high or low – is less important than the type of carbohydrate in the diet. For example, healthy, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, rye, barley and quinoa are better choices than highly refined white bread or French fries."
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/

Thanks. That is what I suspected.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
So I'm guessing that the Hostess Cup Cakes are the bad kind?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
For losing weight carbs are bad.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
So I'm guessing that the Hostess Cup Cakes are the bad kind?

Yes, but Twinkies are ok.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

From the Harvard School of Public Health link above

Quote:
HSPH’s Healthy Eating Plate recommends filling most of your plate with healthy carbohydrates – with vegetables (except potatoes) and fruits taking up about half of your plate, and whole grains filling up about one fourth of your plate.

Which I interpret as meaning: Go ahead and eat carbs when you're dieting. Just make sure that you're getting fibre, minerals and other nutrients in them.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On May 12, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2015, TomKMagic wrote:
But it's not truly "eat as much as one wants". Still, calories in must be less than calories burned. I've seen plenty of people on Atkins and not lose anything because they got heaping plates of bacon and eggs and gravy, etc... Still must limit portions and increase activity. I always recommend some type of weight lifting. Muscles are like engines, if you build a bigger engine, then you'll burn more fuel. Build bigger muscles: burn more fat.

A yes it is. Eat until you are full which equates to eating as much as you want. In the initial part of Atkins which is called the induction diet you are limited to 20 carbs a day. Eat until you are satisfied of the no carb foods. The body has no choice but to burn fat. As I stated earlier the body goes into a state of Ketosis.

Ehhh... Well that's half the problem. People don't understand portion control. They eat too fast, and the signal that they have had enough hasn't reached their brain until 15 to 20 minutes later.

You can't honestly tell me that if someone just keeps eating until they are full that they automatically will lose weight. If they eat 4000 calories of non-carb food all day and only burn 2000 calories by their daily activity, the other 2000 calories have to go somewhere. They are converted to fat if they don't get used. To truly lose weight, calories in must be less than calories burned.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I agree with the eating fast concept. I am a fast eater, mainly because I don't like eating cold food. Slow eater, how do you deal with that? If I had heated plates, I would probably eat more slowly.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

One of the things that amazes me is that I'm still hungry when I'm at the table. But if I go for a walk, I'm full. When I remember this phenomenon, I can control my portion size while enjoying the fresh air.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
My problem isn't that I don't understand portion control, it's that when I'm eating something really good, I'm like, 'Oh man, this is so good, I just gotta have another bite. (And another, and another), until I'm too full to have another bite despite how yummy it is.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Quote:
On May 14, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
One of the things that amazes me is that I'm still hungry when I'm at the table. But if I go for a walk, I'm full. When I remember this phenomenon, I can control my portion size while enjoying the fresh air.

One thing that helps me is to lean back and stretch my arms over my head and stretch my torso and stomach. Then when I go back to sitting normal, I start to feel more full a couple of minutes later. But... I've also know the correct portion sizes I need, and even if the food is soooooooo good like rockwall says, I just stop. I know I can enjoy it the next time.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
As someone who has lost a great deal of weight (192 lbs / 87 kilos) the question of where it all went also exercised my mind.
After all 56% of my original weight went missing in 14 months...more than half of me was no more!

A science program in Australia had the answer a few months back.
A science reporter had lost a few pounds and he wanted to know as well.
He went to the top scientists in the field who got some students to literally do the maths for the reporter.
In a very complicated formula they were able to work out precisely how much of his fat had been converted into carbon monoxide and how much of it had been changed into water.
So the answer is that you literally breathe and sweat (and pee) the fat away.

As for losing weight...my approach was simple.
Get the space between your head right and the rest will follow.
When I started to lose weight I knew nothing and followed NO diet.
I decided that since I was twice the size I should be that it would be wise to eat half as much.
All food was permissable in my scheme...but not all food was helpful.
If I ate it - then I owed it...and responsible to exercise the extra off.
My rule for exercise was simple. Listen to the body...push but don't break it.
When I started exercise all I could manage was a daily ten minute walk...and built it slowly until at the end of my weight loss journey I was swimming for an hour, jogging for an hour and on the exercise bike for an hour each day - and still be up for more exercise.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On May 18, 2015, Kim Van Weert wrote:
As someone who has lost a great deal of weight (192 lbs / 87 kilos) the question of where it all went also exercised my mind.
After all 56% of my original weight went missing in 14 months...more than half of me was no more!

A science program in Australia had the answer a few months back.
A science reporter had lost a few pounds and he wanted to know as well.
He went to the top scientists in the field who got some students to literally do the maths for the reporter.
In a very complicated formula they were able to work out precisely how much of his fat had been converted into carbon monoxide and how much of it had been changed into water.
So the answer is that you literally breathe and sweat (and pee) the fat away.

As for losing weight...my approach was simple.
Get the space between your head right and the rest will follow.
When I started to lose weight I knew nothing and followed NO diet.
I decided that since I was twice the size I should be that it would be wise to eat half as much.
All food was permissable in my scheme...but not all food was helpful.
If I ate it - then I owed it...and responsible to exercise the extra off.
My rule for exercise was simple. Listen to the body...push but don't break it.
When I started exercise all I could manage was a daily ten minute walk...and built it slowly until at the end of my weight loss journey I was swimming for an hour, jogging for an hour and on the exercise bike for an hour each day - and still be up for more exercise.

Geez, all that common sense and it actually worked?

Who'da thunk it.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
I know...it is all just good common sense...but as one wit once said, "good sense isn't that common".
There's a multi-million dollar industry out there trying to part fat people from their money.
It is in their interest to make it hard and esoteric.

The one essential you need to have successful weight loss is getting your head itto the right place.
You've got to move yourself from a wish to a want, then a want to a must.
That must has to be a life or death drive.
Once you have that you will be able to do the thing that people are most relucant to do - change your life and lifestyle permanently.

It can be done.

Click here to view attached image.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
You rock, Kim!

One of the newfound joys of my somewhat new life with my incredibly sexy and interesting wife is this: her passion about food (which means, paradoxically, that I both eat like a king, but am healthier than ever) has turned my attention to the "science" of the human diet.

If there were ever a better example of the Socratic notion of knowing how little we know, then I haven't run into it yet.

It is also a perfect example of how poorly we mere mortals pretend to be "scientific". Lets take 2000 babies, separate them into control groups, and control their diets as if they were lab mice, then check their health at yearly intervals for the next several decades, then talk about low-carb,, trans-fat, top-of-the-food chain healthiness. No? We aren't real scientists, then (and who would want to be?), so our beliefs about the human diet are less than scientific.

We can make very good guesses, but no more.

And yet the whole world "knows" what a healthy diet is.

Life in Plato's cave could not be better illustrated.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Kim, were you, (and are you still), actually exercising 3 hours a day? That's more than I do and I'm training for an Ironman!
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Quote:
On May 19, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Kim, were you, (and are you still), actually exercising 3 hours a day? That's more than I do and I'm training for an Ironman!

No I'm not doing 3 hours now.
That was at the pointy end when the body was doing it's darnest to return to "normal" (read super obese) weight.

I do 90 minutes per day on the exercise bike (I've found that gives me the most bang for buck).
Because I was overweight for such a long time I've basically stuffed up my metabolism.
Everybody has what the experts call a "natural set point" which is a weight where the body naturally wants to be at.
You gain a few pounds here or lose a few pounds there and the body speeds or slows you metabolism to get you back on track.
In overweight people this set point is placed higher (and higher still as you gain more weight).
This is why diets don't work in the long term.
Once you've stopped the body wants to get back to "normal"...it views the weight loss as starvation and changes your metabolism accordingly.
If I don't exercise daily I can easily (even with very moderate eating) put on a kilo a day (over 2 pounds).

That is why successful long term weight loss is all about creating a healthy lifestyle that you can live with.
I'm happy to pay the price for the new advantages in my life.
Research has shown that only 2% of those who have lost a significant amount of weight (20 lbs) manage to keep it off for a year or more.
I've got three years under my belt and I intend to continue to be a success story.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Stupid Question (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL