The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My quick Applesauce review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Fist let's talk about APPLESAUCE the trick. Loved it and rate it up there with "The Crusade" by Andrew Brown and Atlas Brookings and another version of Crusade, John Bannon's effect called Cross Purposes in his excellent book Destination Zero. SPOT POKER TELLS would be my second favorite. Very close in working as applesauce but a version of an Open Prediction, very strong and my third fav is another version of the open prediction called the OP SPREAD, so good and last HORSEFEATHERS which can be a real fooler in the right hands.

This is one of those books where everyone will have their own favorites but those four mentioned above were mine.

Applesauce and Destination Zero, two books to come out lately and well worth it. And don't forget The Crusade either, been out for a while but if you don't have it, is also a good purchase.
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
I'm reading it now. I don't know why but I don't want to like it for some reason (I'm going through exams so don't want to read it). I don't like cards anymore too much, not my type of magic, .... But I must admit, I'm half way through and htis book is KILLER! I hate that as more card effects in my arsenal, but these are different as Patrick goes through initially how you should present it differently depending on your character, how you can, ...

I didn't particularly like Applesauce/Horsefeathers, but am LOVING RainMan, Storm and Advantageous (basically, everything I've read after those two). Patrick credits well, is a great thinker and is *** creative. he gives you a lot of variations for each effect but condenses them into short paragraphs, which is great.

I can't post a review as I'm studying for exams, but for me just for Dan's False Shuffle (which I already learnt from another Redford Book) would have been worth the price of the book andthensome. Patrick represents my thoughts on good mentalists: has a solid (VERY SOLID) foundation with cards and uses them as a toolbox.

Anyways, just wanted to quickly chime in and say this book is incredible so far. Buy it!
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I'm a fan of Open Predictions and Acaans which is probably why I favored those effects.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
My not so quick Applesauce review can be found here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

But I will add that effects like Storm and Rain King look so real, you can't help but smile to yourself while working on them. Also, Patrick's thoughts on c***king the deck are very helpful. As Sashac mentioned, the credits and variations offered are as impressive as the effects themselves. It just shows how much effort and care went into this project.

It may be early, but this is a book of the year candidate for sure.

Cheers,
Craig
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Thanks so much, folks. I'm really pleased it seems folks are enjoying this work. This touches my heart.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » My quick Applesauce review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL