The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy May Day! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Noun big·ot ˈbi-gət
especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
I don't hate anyone, nor do I refuse to consider others opinions.

I do not, however, have to agree with them.

That disagreement constitutes bigotry?
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Nah you're just right-handed, while many on this thread are left-handed. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Seems if anyone is intolerant, it is not me!


He didn't say intolerant, he said bigoted.


big·ot·ed
ˈbiɡədəd/
adjective

having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.


Contrary to the fantasy of the extreme right, intolerance of intolerance is NOT bigotry.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Nah you're just right-handed, while many on this thread are left-handed. Smile


This is the thing about the left.

They are the first to espouse acceptance of *** near anything, until you have views different from theirs.

ETA: See Bob's post above.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Yup!

May Day! May Day! May Day!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, landmark wrote:
Noun big·ot ˈbi-gət
especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)


Karl Marx for instance.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Look, K, I understand you hate workers who stand up for themselves, I get it. And you're certainly allowed to express your bigoted view. But please stop whining when others call you out on it.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, landmark wrote:
Look, K, I understand you hate workers who stand up for themselves, I get it. And you're certainly allowed to express your bigoted view. But please stop whining when others call you out on it.


Sorry Jack.

Unlike you, I hate no one. And, you are certainly allowed your hatred of the businessmen who made this nation.

(I know, on the backs of oppressed workers.)

Yes, someone does need to stop whining.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Seems if anyone is intolerant, it is not me!


He didn't say intolerant, he said bigoted.


big·ot·ed
ˈbiɡədəd/
adjective

having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.


Contrary to the fantasy of the extreme right, intolerance of intolerance is NOT bigotry.


It sounds like it would be from that definition, though, actually.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Tired, tired, tired argument. No, there's not an equivalence. No, the US fighting Nazis is not the equivalent of Nazism. No, the oppressed fighting oppressors is not the same as oppressors holding down the oppressed.

Really, I know it's only a magic board, but don't the word games get tiring? There's racism and classism everywhere in this society, and yet you all want to act as if the elephant is not in the room. Please, must we continue acting "as if"?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Who, me?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, landmark wrote:
Tired, tired, tired argument. No, there's not an equivalence. No, the US fighting Nazis is not the equivalent of Nazism. No, the oppressed fighting oppressors is not the same as oppressors holding down the oppressed.

Really, I know it's only a magic board, but don't the word games get tiring? There's racism and classism everywhere in this society, and yet you all want to act as if the elephant is not in the room. Please, must we continue acting "as if"?

Jack, you may be the elephant in the room. You wished us a Happy May Day, when there is indeed nothing happy about it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, landmark wrote:
Look, K, I understand you hate workers who stand up for themselves, I get it. And you're certainly allowed to express your bigoted view. But please stop whining when others call you out on it.

Just because he doesn't agree with you, he's bigoted! Yikes!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, landmark wrote:
Tired, tired, tired argument. No, there's not an equivalence. No, the US fighting Nazis is not the equivalent of Nazism. No, the oppressed fighting oppressors is not the same as oppressors holding down the oppressed.

Really, I know it's only a magic board, but don't the word games get tiring? There's racism and classism everywhere in this society, and yet you all want to act as if the elephant is not in the room. Please, must we continue acting "as if"?

You wished us a Happy May Day, when there is indeed nothing happy about it.

As I pointed out, it is an official government holiday in literally dozens and dozens of capitalist countries.
Since working people created this country, I thought some might like to join in the celebration.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

...Contrary to the fantasy of the extreme right, intolerance of intolerance is NOT bigotry.


It sounds like it would be from that definition, though, actually.


Karl Popper put it this way. Ir's known as the Pardox of Tolerance.

Quote:
... the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.


From: Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945), Vol. 1, Notes to the Chapters: Ch. 7, Note 4
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16236 Posts

Profile of tommy
Karl Marx put it this way:

…the Jewish ***** [Ferdinand] Lassalle….It is now completely clear to me, that, as proven by the shape of his head and the growth of his hair, he stems from the Negroes who joined the march of Moses out of Egypt (if his mother or grandmother on his father’s side did not mate with a *****). Now this combination of Jewry and Germanism with the negroid basic substance must bring forth a peculiar product. The pushiness of this lad is also *****-like.

—Letter to Friedrich Engels, July 30, 1862

Indian society has no history at all, at least no known history. What we call its history is but the history of the successive intruders who founded their empires on the passive basis of that unresisting and unchanging society.

—The Future Results of British Rule in India, July 22, 1853

The French need a thrashing.

—Letter to Friedrich Engels, July 20, 1870

…the Spaniards are completely degenerated. But in the presence of a Mexican, a degenerated Spaniard constitutes an ideal. They have all the vices, arrogance, thuggery and quixoticism of the Spaniards to the third degree, but by no means all the solid things that they possess.

—Karl Marx’s Social and Political Thought, Volume 6

The Jews of Poland are the smeariest of all races.

—Neue Rheinische Zeitung, April 29, 1849

What is the worldly religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money. … We recognize in Judaism, therefore, a general anti-social element of the present time, an element which through historical development – to which in this harmful respect the Jews have zealously contributed – has been brought to its present high level, at which it must necessarily begin to disintegrate. … The god of the Jews has become secularized and has become the god of the world. The bill of exchange is the real god of the Jew. His god is only an illusory bill of exchange. … Once society has succeeded in abolishing the empirical essence of Judaism – huckstering and its preconditions – the Jew will have become impossible….

http://takimag.com/article/was_karl_marx......YwhSv6FO
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

...Contrary to the fantasy of the extreme right, intolerance of intolerance is NOT bigotry.


It sounds like it would be from that definition, though, actually.


Karl Popper put it this way. Ir's known as the Pardox of Tolerance.

Quote:
... the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.


From: Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945), Vol. 1, Notes to the Chapters: Ch. 7, Note 4

Great post, Bob. Thankyou for sharing that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 2, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

...Contrary to the fantasy of the extreme right, intolerance of intolerance is NOT bigotry.


It sounds like it would be from that definition, though, actually.


Karl Popper put it this way. Ir's known as the Pardox of Tolerance.

Quote:
... the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal.


From: Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies (1945), Vol. 1, Notes to the Chapters: Ch. 7, Note 4



Im not disagreeing with the philosophy; just noting an observation on the simplistic dictionary definition:


"having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others."


If someone, for instance, hates all people of a certain race and considers them sub-human, I would have an obstinate belief that my own (alternative) opinion is superior. And I would have a prejudiced intolerance of that person's opinion. So by that definition, I actually would, in fact, be considered bigoted.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That, of course, is why the definition is incomplete and very misleading.

The paradox of tolerance, of course, is just complementary to the paradox of freedom. Unrestricted freedom would result in the loss of freedom, for inevitably the strong and powerful would bully the weak and deprive them of their freedoms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy May Day! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL