The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Mis-Made Lady (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
This illusion, which made the rounds in the 1970s like the Zig-Zag cabinet, was always a favorite. I read recently that the effect had been improved. If so, does anyone know of a performance of the improved version on You Tube or anywhere else?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
There have been several "improvements", is there one in particular you have heard about? Or who indicated that it had been "improved" recently? That may give an idea as to what was being considered an improvement.

Blair
"ShaZzam!"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I often wonder how much of an improvement many "improvements" are. Sure, things can be tweaked here and there, but I remember having tremendous success with an old-school Mis-made Lady.

An "improvement" may or may not be beneficial. If all you can get is a "regular" one, it can be a very strong effect for you.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
There are two general ways these work including turning one 180 degrees, or not.
But the seperate issue, as asked in the OP, could refer to additional mechanisms that move the boxes around without all the lifting.
I've seen one where a frame and pullies seperated the 3 top boxes and the 1st and third were counterbalanced like a scale, so they could be switched.

I designed one using two large round rings with one that turned like a Ferris wheel doing the same basic thing as above. I never built the mechanism because the MM exposed everything and I was specifically grilled on what illusions we had.... And not to bring that one.

As a side note I have an Owens and even though we would perform it a few times a week we still needed a chart, on stage & color coded indicators on the blades, in order to put them where they belonged.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Some folks use 3 blades only, some folks don't have to restack the boxes, Peter Gossamer's version is round and has clear plexi fronts, even he has made "improvements" over his first version. There was even one with plans issued that could fold flat (no solid body parts) etc. etc.

Blair
"ShaZzam!"
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
The newer version of the Mis-Made lady I read about was the round version. I was trying to imagine what a round version of the Mis-Made Lady would look like.
Frank, I share your questioning of so-called improvements, as to whether an 'improvement' betters the effect. I have seen the Linking Rings done in traditional ways, but done with such poetry and elegance that the effect is as satisfying as when I first saw them performed as a boy.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Peter Gossamer Mismade Girl Illusion :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVImXfS0upw

I liked his first version better as it had blades attached to the tube to cut/seperate the girl into pieces...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Now you know why I asked what "improved" version you were speaking about! Smile

Blair
"ShaZzam!"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Only semi on topic. But I've seen Mismade less an less. Sort of makes me happy as 9 out 10 times it looks to me like the mismade mannequin not lady. I think a huge step forward will be when the parts look credible, otherwise people are thinking she's not in parts but only where she may be crouching down. My cynical two-cents, Walt
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Even as a kid it seemed that the original Mis-Made effect was carried off by the use of a mannequin, but then love is blind:)
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I think you're talking about Gerry Frenette's illusion called Woman's Revolution, that JC Sum presents in his shows.

It's build and sold by Magic Makers Inc.

Here's the link to the product :

http://www.magicmakersillusions.com/revolution/4541452627

Oliver
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Oliver...who's talking about Woman's Rev. It bears no resemblance to the Mismade, in effect, or method.

Blair
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I still enjoy Doug Henning's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBdWWA_mN-8
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Saw Doug do it on Broadway, always a fun illusion.

B
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Oh my God Blair,

Please pardon me. My eyes must not have followed the written of the OP, or my brain didn't follow my eyes. Anyway... I just noticed that he talks about an illusion from the 70...

Oliver.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
I liked the "Women Revolution". Reminds me of what would happen if you decided to perform the Mis-Made Lady on a roller coaster.Smile
MagicSA
View Profile
New user
South Africa
67 Posts

Profile of MagicSA
I agree, SpellbinderEntertainment. The mismade is a beautiful illusion if done properly, but unfortunately far too often you can see the doll parts.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Is there a way to overcome the "doll parts" effect. I could see using some sort of electronic device, but the result might only enhance the "doll parts" effect. It is still a great illusion. Maybe comic effect could act as misdirection e.g. you could have the assistant reach up and itch one of the mannequin filled boxes.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

The way to alleviate some of the look is by having the "other" parts not move as much. The more she moves her head, gestures with her hands, the more stationary/still you will find the other parts look. I have seen ones with feet that move, so at least you have activity in two of the boxes.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Mis-Made Lady (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL