The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cartomancy by Luke Jermay. (58 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sean McCarthy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland.
25 Posts

Profile of Sean McCarthy
Hello all, I am new to posting here on the Café although I have been lurking for quite some time. I have heard people talking about a new Luke Jermay release which is a Q & A act using the premise of cartomancy. It sounds fascinating, although I believe that it hasn't been released yet. Does anybody now anything about the product or perhaps a release date?

Cheers,
Sean.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl.
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
I don't think there is a release date yet, but on his Facebook page there is a link that you can click on to put you on the list to be notified when the first batch is ready.

It sounds very interesting. By the sounds of things, it's brand new material and Luke says it's one of the best things he's ever published.
Sean McCarthy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland.
25 Posts

Profile of Sean McCarthy
Ok, so this is being released tomorrow, the first few are £50 and then it will go up to £75. This is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's £75 interesting.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sean - just go on facebook and contact luke directly...i'm sure he'll be helpful...
I've asked to be banned
Sean McCarthy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland.
25 Posts

Profile of Sean McCarthy
Thank you Iain, I'll do that.
Adrian Tugui
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Adrian Tugui
Will definitely get it. I'm a fan of pretty much everything Luke Jermay.
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Slim King wrote:
So I have this video where Luke calls readers SCUM about a dozen times .... Yet he is doing a reading release????????

Which video?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Just bought it. Will report back. Luke's thinking is generally amazing.

Fun fact: Page 9 of the PDF seems to be a cropped version of the cover of my "Fortune Telling with Playing Cards" PDF:

You can still see a bit of my name on it! I'm honoured to think Luke might have read my humble PDF at some point.

Anyway, excited to read/listen to this one. Will hopefully have some time to get my teeth into it tonight.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
940 Posts

Profile of nique
Tried buying it but there's an error message from PayPal saying that the receiver is unable to accept the transaction. Anyone else got this error message?

~ Nique
https://youtube.com/user/nateuqin

"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction"

"Epique - A Mental Epic"

"TAP - The Assignment Prediction"

PM or email me for details:

niquetan@gmail.com

Reviews here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13

https://m.facebook.com/niquetanmindreader/

www.niquetan.com
RobertMarsi
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of RobertMarsi
It has been fixed now.
MikkelRKarlsen
View Profile
New user
Copenhagen, Denmark
68 Posts

Profile of MikkelRKarlsen
Any first review? Smile Sounds intriguing, but I am not sure if using playing cards on a table will suit my common parlor/stage mentalism show. Looking forward to hear the first thoughts on the release.
Hypnotist. Mentalist.
www.mikkelkarlsen.dk
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Where is this being sold?
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Or here https://sellfy.com/p/zUHa/

Any similarities with Docc´s Perfect Mental Club Act?
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, Amirá wrote:
Or here https://sellfy.com/p/zUHa/

Any similarities with Docc´s Perfect Mental Club Act?

There's some similarity, in that it's a stage Q-and-A involving playing cards - but methodologically it's different (from what I know about Docc's act - I don't own it, but he mentions it and references certain methods from it in various Doccinars). It also bears some similarities to C Dayton's excellent walkaround/stage acts detailed in his (massively overlooked and apparently out of print?) "Readings & Mentalism with Cards".

But 'Cartomancy' is really very much based on Luke Jermay's own work and ideas. It combines elements of various effects and routines he's previously published, with some of his approaches to Q&A (as detailed in recent downloads and his new DVD set), adds some excellent new ideas and wraps the whole thing in a fortune-teller's cloak. From a first read-through, I'm struck by the structure of the thing - how it cleverly establishes credibility, builds in strength and then ends with a bang. Will I perform it as it's written? No, but you could if you wanted to. Will I take some ideas from this and apply them? Yes, for sure.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Is this only of use on stage? And does it have any use outside of readings?
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, MatCult wrote:

There's some similarity, in that it's a stage Q-and-A involving playing cards - but methodologically it's different (from what I know about Docc's act - I don't own it, but he mentions it and references certain methods from it in various Doccinars). It also bears some similarities to C Dayton's excellent walkaround/stage acts detailed in his (massively overlooked and apparently out of print?) "Readings & Mentalism with Cards".

But 'Cartomancy' is really very much based on Luke Jermay's own work and ideas. It combines elements of various effects and routines he's previously published, with some of his approaches to Q&A (as detailed in recent downloads and his new DVD set), adds some excellent new ideas and wraps the whole thing in a fortune-teller's cloak. From a first read-through, I'm struck by the structure of the thing - how it cleverly establishes credibility, builds in strength and then ends with a bang. Will I perform it as it's written? No, but you could if you wanted to. Will I take some ideas from this and apply them? Yes, for sure.

So the obvious questions - I know this is a big stage act, but how spot on are the readings? Are they sure fire? Some of them? Many off by one's? Without knowing much or seeing much detail on teh trailer, it's hard to get a feel for the act, or how iffy the effects are an rely more on the presentation to create the illusion of reading, or if there are perhaps several 100%ers, along with other near-missers that add to the presentation and audience "sympathy" and credibility that no one gets them all right all the time.

Can you give ny other insight?

Thanks!
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, daver wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2015, MatCult wrote:

So the obvious questions - I know this is a big stage act, but how spot on are the readings? Are they sure fire? Some of them? Many off by one's? Without knowing much or seeing much detail on teh trailer, it's hard to get a feel for the act, or how iffy the effects are an rely more on the presentation to create the illusion of reading, or if there are perhaps several 100%ers, along with other near-missers that add to the presentation and audience "sympathy" and credibility that no one gets them all right all the time.

Can you give ny other insight?

Thanks!

Well... This is a certain type of Q&A. It is b****tless in nature and uses no p**-**** technique. The content is closer to the psychic style platform reading, wherein a person's personality and path through life is discussed, rather than what Bob Cassidy labels the "Dunninger/Kreskin approach", whereby the mentalist reveals names, social security numbers and other informational 'hits'. That said, along the way the performer will reveal, and have confirmed, specific dates, names and other details - and these are surefire and will be confirmed.

There are several phases and each works differently. There are surefire revelations along the way, as I said. But much of the success of the act will rely on the performer's ability to give readings, think on their feet, make connections and tell stories. The climax is grand in scale and completely surefire.

I like it.

And regarding the whole "calling readers scum" thing, my take on it is fourfold:
1. I think his stage persona made the statement as part of a presentation, rather than him saying it as part of real life - that seems to me an important distinction
2. He does seem very clear about the demarcation between open platform readings, given in a theatrical setting vs private one-on-one readings given in non-theatrical environments
3. We've all said things in our past that we no longer agree with. Some of our statements will make us cringe years later.
4. We don't have to agree with one another on these matters
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
189 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
I totally agree with Mat. This is by no means a shut eye release. Luke doesn't predict the future and he doesn't talk to the dead. He speaks at length about his approach to Q&A on the Mind-DVDs. From the little I have read so far, he doesn't depart from this approach.
Slim, I think you have made clear what you think about Luke as a reader, and that he is primarily in it for the money. If that's you're opinion, so be it. What you are referring to, btw, is I think "Emotional Intelligence", and, if I understood his presentation correctly, the "scum" was directed at the shut eye readers. He has not changed, because he doesn't pretend to be one now.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Actually, he does claim to be able to predict the future.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cartomancy by Luke Jermay. (58 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL