The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Big Finish with Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I am wondering what you do to lead up to a finish with cups and balls, or do you? How do you work your routine in with cups and balls?

I start of with linking ropes, then Rocky the Raccoon comes onto the seen, and he ends up on the "Saterlight Dish of doom" (a tray) which I balance tall pole on my chin while playing amazing grace on a Kazzo. This will lead to impromtu Magic - maybe cards, maybe coins, or maybe straight into my finish Cups and balls where I hit them with my hat lines from start to finish, Six oranges and a melon.
With pulling a crowd gags and this running order, my show lasts anywhere from 25min to 45min depending on the crowd. 45 min show is milking a cow, but I know I got them, and Its going to be a good hat.
What do you do?
Mario Morris
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I do rope or rings to draw them, and then end with my own cups and balls routine. I also do a hat load. Sometimes I get the first few people with cards or coins up close.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!

Throughout the act promise them the big finale. Talk about, sell them on it, tell them not to leave, and then pray to God that your routine is good enough.

Mat Random
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Once I start the cups, my crowd always builds. I rarely lose anyone at that point; the routine is packed with constant activity, gags, bits, even some magic. Although, sometimes, if the show has run long, a few may have to go because of a movie time, etc.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yes I find that as well cups are a good crowd pleaser. On my smaller shows I find the three shell game a good crowd puller.
Mario
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
As James says, you will rarely lose people with the Cups and balls. The fact being is that no one knows what to expect with them. As opposed to cards (and all the pasteboard lovers can direct their hate mail to: WasThisYourCard@Shock&Surprise.com) where you know that your chosen card will come up eventually, the cups present a historical/basic (to us illusionist) and unknown quantity to normal people.

The fact being that you can produce anything short of an elephant. No matter what your routine is, when you produce that melon, Ala Gazzo, from under the hat the crowd is dumbfounded. The Cups are the one trick that is so anti-logical in action, but so logical in explanation (if your routine is good), that it never ceases to amaze the crowd.

Mat Random

BTW rather then turning this forum into a theory discussion just PM with your comments.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1527 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
What's wrong with theory?

I am enjoying the discussion thus far.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Nothing wrong with it. just like to keep the topics, on topic. Seems like this is more a discussion on what to produce than on the theory of cups and balls.

Mat Random
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
A mate of mine, Alf, is very small in size so he uses Morrisey Cups with the strangest punk type balls I have ever seen - purpurly, prickerly things.
For his load under the hat he uses a rubber pineapple. It is very funny routine that works for him.
I think the reason he uses this rubber pineapple is because it is light, and that is what he can hold.
He has got tiny hands, but that makes every thing look a lot bigger.
Mario
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

As a Busker for many years and a good friend & student of Jeff Sheridan, I have "Passed the Hat" on Many Occassions.

I would have to say that besides the segment of Card manipulation that I do, The tried & true ,Timeless ,#1 Effect/closer of All time has to be the "Cup & Balls" .

I looked around for many years for a decent set of road worthy cups & sadily was un able to locate a set (Some like the Paul Fox Jumbo(Chick Cup) personally I found them still to be a tad small! (But nice to loo at )

Thus my reason for creating The "Michael Lee Millennium cups" For myself! ....
But after so many performers saw them they all wanted to know where they could get them, So I released them to the Magic fraturnity , Since there introduction approx 125 + sets have been sold (Thanks again to all that have purchased them) They are a Large HEAVY Road Worthy Cup that come in Brass Or Copper.
and I certinally put mine thru the ringer over these past 7 years & they are still "Rockin" For further info please email me... michaelleeexperience@earthlink.net
Now back to the Question, personally I prefer to use LARGE Oranges..Not only VERY visual & colorful But can be eaten at end of the day as a Vitamine C boost! Ha, ha
I have also seen many beautiful final load productions, over the Years ie Chicks, Large balls , Mice , Roses & Gold fish Etc . But again my persolal preferance is the Fruit & a Hugh Melon from under a Hat! is VERY EFFECTIVE!!
Hope this Info helps
Cheers
Michael Lee
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hoping that Michael will respond with further information about his cups, I have posted a review of them at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......09&0
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Big Finish with Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL