The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Crazy Man's Handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
This is a real stunner even though it is quite simple. I just recently learned this routine a couple of weeks ago and have been fooling the daylights out of everyone I have showed it to. Does anyone else do this trick? How are your reactions to it?

Also, I am wanting to come up with a linking rubber band trick where the bands link and unlink just like the Chinese linking rings. This would go great with CMH. Does anybody have any pointers as to how I can pull this off? Thanks to all!! Feel free to PM me. I'm new here so I would love to meet you all. Peace. *street*
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Lagrange
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Lagrange
I think most do the CMH. It's a great effect and I've never had anything but good reactions.

In response to your other question, take a look at Dan Harlan's rubberband DVDs. Great stuff. Good routines and many ideas you can adapt for other effects.

Also, although it doesn't really meet your criteria, for another great linking/unlinking effect involving a ring and band, you might want to take a look at Pinnacle. It's a killer.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Street,

After doing the standard CMH, hand out the bands to be inspected since many people will probably want to see them anyway, and while they are doing that, get a set of pre-linked bands hidden in your hand. When the bands are returned to you, switch the bands for the set of pre-linked ones. Then just have someone hold out their hand or whatever, and put the bands in their hand, and have them open them after a "magical pass" or whatever. The bands are linked.
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Street-

The CMH has been around for a long time and has been a proven effect for all who use it. Done properly this effect can be the single strongest effect you do. I have been performing it every day for the past 17 years or so. I'm not sure of your exact handling of the bands and what your patter is, but I usually finish by doing the visual "Melt Through" with the spectator holding one of the bands stretched between his two index fingers. My band I'm holding is placed behind his and then melts through his using the exact same technique only with one hand.

Note: you should always be sure to examine your bands carefully prior to doing this trick as it would be very bad if one broke and snapped into your spectators' eye. (Just a thought...)

The effect of linking bands has already been done in the past. Although at the moment I can't remember the name of it. Slydini also did a small bit of material on the bands with a great visual "Illusion of Melting" as well.

I also will sometimes end my routine by taking one of the rubberbands, stretching it out with one end pointing up my nose I let go and it disappears with a sudden snort. This is a very visual and funny gag if used with the correct patter and timing.

Your friend in magic,
Illuzns
Will_Tingle
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Will_Tingle
Quote:
On 2004-02-13 01:44, illuzns wrote:

I also will sometimes end my routine by taking one of the rubber bands, stretching it out with one end pointing up my nose I let go and it disappears with a sudden snort.

LOL—I just read that, picked up a band, then turned to my unsuspecting partner with a "watch this".

She is now suitably disgusted. Smile Smile
--
"Pray, n:. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy."
- Ambrose Bierce
illuzns
View Profile
Regular user
My Room in Va.
104 Posts

Profile of illuzns
Will,

Glad I could be of some help thoroughly disgusting your girlfriend. This is truly surprising when done correctly. I usually wait until someone asks me to, "Do it again," referring to the melt through. Then I say, "Yeah, I'm addicted to it too," and snort it up my nose. The adults and kids think this is one of the funniest things.

Your friend,
illuzns
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
For some great tips on this routine, check out the Michael Ammar's book The Magic of Michael Ammar at L&L publishing.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Hi daffydoug
I agree whole-heartily with your thoughts on Michael Ammar's book (I also have it). But do take a look at his tape 'Classic Renditions - Crazy Man's Handcuffs.' As an ex-training instructor, this is one of the best 'teaching' tapes I have ever seen - it really is simply brilliant!

I regularly perform it, routined as explained on Michael Ammar's video, ie all three parts; and it never fails to get a great reaction from adults and children alike.

Cheers

John Breeds
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
Several good books on link rubber bands and put a ring on one also. find which bands work better for you and wear they on our wrist. Can use the line that your stopping smoking and use them to help stop. good reason to show your stuff. not show just a trick.
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
That Magic Guy
View Profile
New user
Orlando, Fl
55 Posts

Profile of That Magic Guy
I have been linking bands together for 20 years. The one I created was called "Back Two-Gether and was first published in 1989 in The Minotaur, vol. 1 #2 by Dan Harlan and Marv Leventhal. I believe it is also in Vol. 1 of the Dan Harlen rubberband videos by L&L.
I have been doing the bands for over 25 years and have always gotten great reaction. I now finish the routine using "Star Gazer"

Later,
Mark,
That magic guy
pcamel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pcamel
I usually do the entire routine, end with the melt through in the spectators hands and then I bite the rubber band apart and restore it which, when done correctly, really fools people. then I end by asking for a dollar and going into the rubber band ladder effect.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Rubber band tricks are unbelievably stunning to laymen. My repeat spectators request CMH as often as any other effect. As a follow-up to a standard rubber band routine, I think Chris Kenner's "Missing Link" is incredibly powerful. It's on one of Dan Harlan's videos, or if you're lucky enough to get ahold of it, it's in Chris's book "Out of Control/ Totally Out of Control". The first time you witness this one, it's one of the most magical things you'll see, along with Russ Niedswiecki's "Pinnacle".

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
985 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Just thought I should mention that the effect of "Penetrating Bands" was invented by Arthur Setterington and first published in "Elastrix." It is also in Tarbell #7. Michael Ammar named it "Crazy Man's Handcuffs." The work that's been done by Slydini, Ammar, myself and countless others has elevated this effect to the miracle class. If you do it, you'll definitely want to check out Mark Fitzgerald's "Back Two-Gether" which allows the bands to instantly re-penetrate into their "linked" condition (Hey, Mark!). He gave the references above.
The "band up the nose" is Joe Rindfleisch's idea, and if you couple it with my wrist camouflage, the band will actually *vanish* as though it really did go up your nose. As unbelievable as it may sound, this rubberband effect is requested more than any other (including CMH).
The "ladder" mentioned by pcamel is my "Traveling Cash" effect. The first rubberband trick I ever invented!
If you love rubberband magic, you should get my DVDs from L&L. Not trying to make a sale, but I know you will like them and all the stuff mentioned in here is on them.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5402 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Thanks for the history and references.

I guess that I must do Dan’s “Traveling Cash” more than any other single rubber band trick. I tend to be able to be able to get a little more theatre out of it with the spectator holding the bill from the start. Yes I know that the spectator can hold the band for the CMH trick, I just prefer “Traveling Cash”.

OK Dan, I’ll try the “band up the nose”. Honestly I don’t know why I’ve over looked that trick as I tend to do a “blockhead” bit with a Bic ballpoint pin at a moments notice (and with the right crowd)!

There is nothing funnier than a portly but dignified (yeah sure!) old man doing stupid stuff like that!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Dan,

Where can we find back two-gether and band up nose instruction?
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1084 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I start with jumping rubberbands. Believe it or not, audiences love this as much as CMH. After jumping rubberbands, I do CMH. I finish off with Stargazer and give them that star rubberband as a souvenir. Ladies love it. It's so unique and personal to them.

The patter I use goes along the lines of how great an escape artist Houdini was. At the end with Stargazer, he was a huge star, but always had room for other stars.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Itsmagic,
That's a cute presentation, evcept that Houdini definitely didn't have room for other stars (LOL).

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
When I do CMH, I always use Houdini as the topic of my patter. I explain that Houdini could escape from anything, etc., then I say that the one band is Houdini, and I them put him "in jail" explaining that the two strands of the other band are the bars of the jail.

Of course, Houdini "melts" through the bars, etc.,
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Hey All-

I almost always begin a walkaround set with CMH. After explaining who I am and what I do (and getting permission to interrupt them) the first words out of my mouth are: "So do you folks like handcuffs?"

It's a perfectly honest question, but don't go any deeper... the spectators will run with it themselves. There's usually a lot of finger pointing...hehehe

Nathan
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
121 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
Greg Wilson has a rubber band effect in his "Off the Cuff Video" where the spectator puts their hand through the rubberband and he snaps it in half and restores it to get it off. I haven't tried it but it looks like it would be a good addition to any CMH routine.
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Crazy Man's Handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL